[Idea/brainstorm] Werewolf And Vampire Brainstorming

Tristanx7

Okay. So I have been thinking for a while that Werewolves and Vampires could be an interesting addition to the server for a while if they were OOCly controlled somehow in numbers. I made this thread so that I could get feedback from the community before I spend a couple days writing the lore. My ideas so far:

-- Both types have some type of ritual that requires rare items in order to turn someone into a werewolf/vampire. The person being changed must submit an application, and if it is accepted then the ritual succeeds. If it is denied, then the ritual was simply temporary and they lose their abilities.

-- Both types also must have an IC reason to turn the person, I.E. A dying friend, a reward to a trusted servant, etc. that is approved by the higher ups of the werewolf/vampire people.

--Vampires would take penalties or be harmed by direct sunlight, and fire would frighten them.

--Werewolves could turn one time during an IRL week, and we would assign a moon phase to each day.

-- VAs would be required to kill people, but vampires would be able to slightly drain someone.

-- There would be different tiers of werewolf/vampire granting better abilities, such as shapeshifting at will as a werewolf or the ability to turn into a bat or wolf as a vampire.

-- Possibly make it so that you can only turn others at a certain tier.

Aside from these, I would like input from Loremasters and other players as to whether or not you would like to see werewolves and vampires in the server and help me to make it a balanced and enjoyable system.

No. I'll list my reasons when it isn't late.

I believe Werewolves already exist as a event monster (not sure) but Vampires don't.

There are been Werewolf and Vampire"ish" monsters in the past. I suggest you dig into the VonSchlichten

history a little and see what you find.

I'm not against it, but I have heard of things similar to vampires, in what I think was called the Black Legion? They lived in Malinor in early Asulon, but I believe they moved to Hanseti later on.

Yesterday someone else also wanted to make werewolf/vampire lore, and I think Elindor said it perfectly on that thread, so I quoted it.

I've been rolling sentences around in my head to respond.

Basically if you propose lore that hints at werewolves or vampires you can essentially move it to the denied forums yourself. Now, some things HAVE been in the game before that are in a way similar. I know of one particular instance where people each night would become more and more like a ravenous beast till they become one forever. It was a ritualistic curse. There were two responses. The one ended the RP very quickly because there were fools who said "monster, kill it" and there goes your fun roleplay. The better ones were the people who were locked away at night with some animals left in the room in case they got hungry. This stuff was really good, but the downfall of these creatures was what happened afterward?

To the extent of my knowledge it all just stopped eventually because loose lore got cracked down on.

There are going to be some enjoyable ways to get similar ideas back into this game, but it will have to be birthed from new thought. Because the Lore Team's status on vampires and werewolves has remained unchanged for a long time. So give it some deep thought about the full process.

My lore was the closet thing to vampirism that was considered, and even it was denied.

http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/86266-lore-completed-those-that-feed-in-red-imp-parasite/page-1

While the lore itself had no flaws according to the lore team, it was denied upon the basis of "Not fitting the servers theme". While I didn't like this reason, there wasn't much I could do. 

The point is, no lore on vampirism will ever be accepted. Nothing even remotely close to it will. My lore was almost flawless according to the lore team, but was still denied. I suggest you give up hope on the vampirism, and if you even think about doing lycanism, make sure you do something similar, but unique in it's own right.

My view is less pessimistic but still similar. It will be very difficult to become accepted. Most magic creatures have major drawbacks and limitations. Werewolf and vampires limitations would need to be very carefully spelled out. As well as what you plan to do if your caught, or if someone figures out what you are. With that being said.

The lore team changes over time, members might leave, new ones added. The views will change slightly. There are many ways to bring more magical creatures into the world if you look hard enough and if there is good reason to do so. Simply creating a vampire like creature because one doesn't exists isn't a unique enough reason. Find a gap in RP that could be filled and anything is possible.

Such is the case with the Frost Witches, many thought it would never be accepted as it was very different than had been tried before. There limitations make it incredible difficult to RP as such only very wise players will keep there character out of harms way. Once discovered even if the monks can revive you. It is difficult to keep your status a secret. They have done very well I would use them as a guide if you wish to proceed with this.

Things to also consider about Vampires:

1. Immortality isn't as important on LotC as in RL, most characters live forever anyway. "Rather they should or not"

2. Flying simply wont be possible unless a spell is added after Nexus is complete. You might RP fly short distances but flying high  in the air quickly from one place to another will be very difficult to impossible to RP without some meta-gaming happening against you, or ban reports for evading fights and PGing.

3. Draining blood from another person can only cause them to turn into a Vampire "if they allow it" You can't force any permanent conditions upon another player, This has been proved with all sorts of RP including burning people, removing limbs and all sorts of nasty things I don't like to think about.

These are only 3 reasons that have already killed dozens of attempts to create a Vampire, I would suggest not naming it as such and finding a different purpose for it. If you are to pursue this IC I hear there are Vampire "Fictional" books floating around.

As I said, this thread is a way for people to find a way to balance out the mechanics of the werewolves/vampires to give them drawbacks similar to those of magical creatures. This isn't a concrete lore post or anything, just a thread to brainstorm ideas. I have a concept for how they would have come about as well, but I just need for mechanics wise a way to make them balanced like other magical creatures.

It's not that the Lore Team has never wanted to approve werewolf/vampire stuff. Both I and Watyll were actually for implementing that sort of thing, and most of the current LT I doubt have any true objection. It's that we weren't allowed to.

Remember, however, that the community itself back then was also very, VERY strongly against any form of vampire/werewolf implementation, and when that much opposition lasts that long it becomes ingrained. Pugsying is permabannable not because the offence necessarily warrants it but because it's been a permaban for so long that nobody questions it (until recently, of course). Nowadays, you might be able to do this, but I'd recommend confirming that you can before putting the work in, and I'd also recommend playing it straight rather than doing something off the wall.

Garukumus Had a werewolf in Aegis, outside of that there have been some here and there.

Okay, a little update on the werewolves thing. I've been talking to people in TS, and from the new things that have been added, I have gotten very positive feedback. Also, Zanesim is helping me to make the lore.

So, here's what we've added:

• Vampires/Werewolves cannot use magic, with the exception of werewolves being able to use druidic magic if they knew it previous to their change, excluding shapeshifting, and vampires can use illusion magic if they knew it prior to their turning.
  • Vampires cannot fly. We never were going to let them in the first place :3
  • Werewolves are mindless beasts one day out of the IRL week, simulating a moon cycle. VAs required to harm people.
  • Tier progression is the same as magic tiers.
  • If a werewolf or vampire is killed in the proper way, then they will lose all of their abilities for an IRL week, essentially becoming a T1 temporarily.
  • We have added some more in-depth abilities to the tiers.
  • A solid idea for the creation lore.
  • Vampires must be completely covered in direct sunlight, and if they do not RPly drink blood once per IRL week, they will die.
  • They will be considered magic creatures and thus not be able to be forced to PvP, simply because we think it would be pretty cool to have a mob of people to attack the werewolf/vampire and have a angry mob rather than just two seconds of clicking.
  • Only 10 players can be a werewolf/vampire at one time.
  • An OOC application process, requiring a post from the person turning them saying that it happened.
  • We also think that if it gets accepted, it would be AMAZING if someone made a monster hunting guild to go after werewolves and vampires.
  • A short list of signs that people might emote in RP to give the other players a hint.
  • Tier 4 is the tier where you gain the ability to turn people.

That's about it folks. Support/Constructive criticism is very much appreciated, it was the intention of this thread to get ideas from the community to make werewolves and vampires not be too op.