Magic Roleplay Q/a

Jistuma

So if it still has to be learnt, unlike when creating a generic swordsman/bowman character, why was it brought down to the same level of strength as a generic swordsman/bowman character?

If the removal of Magic Applications aimed to making magic like all combat, why can we not make a character (from scratch) that knows how to use such magic. It is not forced upon players that they learn how to use their other combat skills, why should magic still have to do this?

Is it not logical that if a certain combat system takes longer to acquire, it should have a greater reward when acquired? If swords and magic is now on an equal level of strength, why does Magic still have to be learnt when sword-fighting doesn't?

I believe the Errata should answer these questions, sorry for the problems.

I thought alteration or transmogrification or whatever it is called was restricted. No?

Also, If there is freedom for magic. Would it be possible to begin to warp magic slightly like be able to have a bit better control over air magic. Such as to make the air rotate around my hands, or be able to have better control over the general magic.

For the first question Alteration has no pre-requisits for being able to be learnt, and as such it is like the rest of the arcane magic (except runesmithing)

For the second question that would be a good progression with magic. Starting with less control and improving it with time and training.

time travel

That is all I read of your reply. And to this I say "it shall be done"

Is there still a cap on number of subtypes known?

Not at the moment

Not at the moment

Oh. Oh dear. This may get messy.

Also, could I try that one self transmutation lore Hex wrote?

Edit: Nope. I can't. It apparently doesn't exist IC. Bummer.

As a Necromancer, I recognize this new loose magic system as an opportunity to establish unique role-play scenarios that haven't necessarily been allowed, ever-since the Undead and their magic were still a thing. I want my character to dabble in curses revolving around the taint Necromancy can produce, and in turn, provide interesting role-play, but these "curses" involve the corruption of one's mind and the general deterioration of a goodly person into a more sinister one because of the negative effects of this taint-- should it not be cleansed via Cleric's magic and so-forth. The question is if this is allowed or possible -- the curses do not produce an effect where my character has more power over the cursed, only the fact that the cursed can legitimately go through developments that would effect their character on a large scale, depending on how serious the affliction is. I assumed anything major would be allowed only under the jurisdiction and consent of the character's owner.

So, is it possible?

As a Necromancer, I recognize this new loose magic system as an opportunity to establish unique role-play scenarios that haven't necessarily been allowed, ever-since the Undead and their magic were still a thing. I want my character to dabble in curses revolving around the taint Necromancy can produce, and in turn, provide interesting role-play, but these "curses" involve the corruption of one's mind and the general deterioration of a goodly person into a more sinister one because of the negative effects of this taint-- should it not be cleansed via Cleric's magic and so-forth. The question is if this is allowed or possible -- the curses do not produce an effect where my character has more power over the cursed, only the fact that the cursed can legitimately go through developments that would effect their character on a large scale, depending on how serious the affliction is. I assumed anything major would be allowed only under the jurisdiction and consent of the character's owner.

So, is it possible?

Yes.

If a "legitimate" Alterationist (or otherwise known as Transmogrifator or something) enchants your armor, weapon or tool, is it allowed to get a GM to enchant this item with what it was blessed with? Fire-Aspect I for example and so-forth, and I would assume any enchantments would be kept at the base level.

What do you mean by Non-Canon? Would players still have to follow the flow of the magic or could they ignore it?

Existing magic is designed to be both balanced and to fit precisely within the canon lore. Therefore these magic types are 'safe' because (so long as you do not learn it too quickly) no one should find issue with your roleplay unless you are powergaming with it. However making up your own magic might make other players extraordinarily unhappy if there is an issue with the lore, or a potential for powergaming that you might have overlooked, or perhaps there is a specific way that it should be roleplayed that requires redlines and OOC guidance.

So you are encouraged to learn magic the standardised way and if you do seek your own form of magic, to attempt to have it recognised as canon so that issues may be ironed out.

If a "legitimate" Alterationist (or otherwise known as Transmogrifator or something) enchants your armor, weapon or tool, is it allowed to get a GM to enchant this item with what it was blessed with? Fire-Aspect I for example and so-forth, and I would assume any enchantments would be kept at the base level.

Following the rules of the pvp default and magic being the same power as a warrior... Not that I know of... Probably up to the GM and the rp made, but most likely not since from what I remember there are no alterationists that would ever enchant a weapon, but who knows.

What do you mean by Non-Canon? Would players still have to follow the flow of the magic or could they ignore it?

Non canon means the lore has not been made official to the server, and it's just magic that obeys the mechanical standard. Could you explain "follow the flow"?

Follow the flow as in if you have a Non-Canon magic that hasn't been like implemented or accepted by the Lore Team, could someone demand to see documentation that it exists and if there is none could they just simply say "no, your magic hasn't been accepted by the lore team therefore I'm not going to rp your effects"

Errata:

Q: Can I be a powerful mage and a powerful warrior at the same time?

A: No, magic has a corrupting effect on the mage. While you may use a sword and armor to signify the use of magic in PVP, in roleplay your character gets physically weaker as he learns more magic. No, although you can still be a mage and warrior at the same time, so long as you aren't extremely proficient at both. This is because magic and physical combat are inversely related, meaning that as you become more powerful in one you become weaker in the other. - http://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/98083-the-corruption-of-magic/?hl=magic- http://www.lordofthe...magic/?hl=magic

Q: Can I use Air Evocation to fly?

A: No.

1. I should tell you  more about Auramancy sometime now that I am less restricted from doing so.

2. Best answer, +Approval.