Magic Roleplay Q/a

Jistuma

If you have two evocations, can you mix them into combined attacks?

Question, can I be a bearmancer?

Wouldn't that be Conjuration, except with bears?

Just another question. What happened to the shades? I used to hear of them and I once saw one, but now....nothing. Also, is there a lore post you can link me to about shade lore? It seems quite interesting, and I remember reading some of it a while back, but I can't find anything now. Thanks :)

Also, another question. If I want to make a magic to use, must I post a lore about it? I don't really get the current rules for making new magics. For example, can I make a magic that disintegrates objects, provided that I don't power game, or would I require a post to be accepted on the lore forums? Also, could you give a little example of a magic that is can be made up, but is acceptable to use? Thanks again!

If you have two evocations, can you mix them into combined attacks?

Yes you can, but you can't do stupid things like fire water, you have to make them have some sense. Like you can combine sand with water and make something sticky or like mud, you can create sandstorms with earth and air, you can make like a flamethrower with air and fire (be extremelly careful about powergaming in this example), but adding water to fire wouldn't really help much, since the water would put out the fire. And electricity and earth wouldn't do a thing as well, and would just make it worse. Just be creative with what you do, and take into account the powergaming factor, and then you'll be alright.

Question, can I be a bearmancer?

But with Bearmancy, you can BECOME a bear, SUMMON bears, communicate with real bears, get VIP access to the grizzly night life and just generally be really bear savvy.

Please don't place useless questions on this thread, thank you.

Just another question. What happened to the shades? I used to hear of them and I once saw one, but now....nothing. Also, is there a lore post you can link me to about shade lore? It seems quite interesting, and I remember reading some of it a while back, but I can't find anything now. Thanks :)

Shades are actually quite a lot more in number than before when there was only one. They roleplay along the map.

Also, another question. If I want to make a magic to use, must I post a lore about it? I don't really get the current rules for making new magics. For example, can I make a magic that disintegrates objects, provided that I don't power game, or would I require a post to be accepted on the lore forums? Also, could you give a little example of a magic that is can be made up, but is acceptable to use? Thanks again!

Most of the new magics aren't really seen as ok to be roleplayed if any others do the exact same. So in your example, disintegrating something could be done with transmutation.

As for new magics that don't need lore and can just be roleplayed... Well, I have never seen anyone evoke coldness, thought that would be a higher degree of evocation of ice.

Most of that rule applies to already existing magics that means you can do more stuff with them without lore. Say, a druid could make a field of flowers dance and sing, and make their polen glow in the air, even if there is no magic for it, but a non druid wouldn't be able to do that because there is lore that states that magic dealing with living nature is for the druids.

But if you want other ideas, it would be for example another use for conjuration, that instead of creating a whole beast, he would just create a big bone and use it.

Necromancer's Ghouls are the same, it's just another use of the magic that allows for more roleplay.

Okar contracts.

The creation of Vithquar.

And a few others I can't remember. While it's not exacly 'new magic' it's new in reguards that it has never been done before with the magic types that made them.

Hope this helps.

Question, if magic that offers nothing within the up-coming plug-in and only a RP thing, while giving no PvP advantage at all. Would these be under-review or otherwise no?

RP only magics should be fine as our reasoning of not delaying the magic plugin doesn't hold up. That being said, the LT is no longer directly responsible for handling the Ideas forum: we don't even have FM powers there. While we still help make lore fit, it's the GM Team's call now if something goes or not.

Another question if possible!...

Could there be a possible quick fix to how Evocation works- such as how you are keeping the fire within the over-world.

As it currently stands, you can only evocate in a area you can see, though I wish if it could be changed and see about if you or others agree if it can be changed to, you can only evocate in a area that you can feel your magic.

The way that sight works is- You see a lake, you summon a sheet of ice onto the lake so you can walk on. As you walk on it, instantly if you are not looking down at your feet or your whole body the said ice would return to the void- since you lost sight of it. The same can be delt with evocated fire, earth and electricity. Though with fire once you loose sight it goes back to the void- even if you can feel the heat of your flames. As with Earth and electricity- though electricity is well- you need to see the point target. 

Though the way that it could work is if you can feel the evocated subject. Water, if you know and concentrate on the water summon a sheet of ice and begin to walk over it- a trail of ice can be behind you forming a small bridge. As long as you can feel it and know it is their and concentrating on it. With fire, you can summon a flame, look away for a second- feel that the flame is still over your hand and concentrating on it- before turning back and seeing it once more, not letting it vanish- as with earth evocation also, ect.

-

Is it possible that this can be done, since it makes more sense than what it currently is that "you need to see it to summon/keep it in the over-world, just silly to me on how that is working.

Edit: It also means that if you put ice on said persons back or fire, when they turn to look at you- the magic will fade...

snip

You don't need to be looking at where you evoke things, just where it is, and it's current conditions.

Meaning, you can create ice under your feet to walk through a lake (well you can't because it would break under your feet, but lets say for this example you can), and it would last a bit after you walk on it, if so desired. He could be looking foward as the ice would form a few feet from in front of him and disapear a few feet away from him.

Even if you are blindfolded you can evoke, you just don't know what is there. You might be evoking into a wall, which wouldn't work. Then you would have to evoke pretty near you, which could harm you, depending on the evocation.

To create evocation you just need focus on a point you need to create it. If you know exacly where that point is, and the conditions it is in, you can succesfully evoke it. If you don't, you'll fail. Also subjected to the distance from mage.

So if a person is hiding something behind their back, a mage wouldn't know exacly where the thing is behind his back, if he knew he was hiding something. If he tried to burn it, he would probably miss, and probably wouldn't even be able to create a fire. But if he just wanted to scare them, and create a fire 4 feet behind them (which can't be done at a distance, powergaming and all that. Lets say in this case you can), it would be far more easily done, because the mage would be pretty sure where the fire would start.

I have always said that it must be an area that you can 'perceive'. If where you were suddenly became pitch black, you would have a recollection of where things are and therefore still be able to summon fire in an area that you know to be free space. It is also not impossible for someone who is blind to use their other senses to create a concept of the space around them well enough to evoke something.

In the case of knowing that something is in a certain place and you evoke where you assume it to be from a distance without being able to accurately 'perceive' it. I would say no. So if Jimmy hides a feather behind him, you can assume you know where it is, but being able to summon something as complex as fire behind HIM, way too hard. As Jistuma said, your best would be to try and scare them by evoking close to them. Or moving so close that you are face to face and can better judge the distance. Fire is terrible to evoke at range.

It is the creating of the thing that requires a clear perception of the space in which it is made. It is always easier to evoke something close to one's self, even if that is behind you. The keeping of it going is not so hard though. If you hurl a block of ice over a wall it can retain its form, however it cannot be changed. The element would remain exactly the way it was when it left an area of perception. I would also want to argue that it cannot again be lifted. A mage would certainly know that their evoked element still exists, however they do not have the perception of it to manipulate it in any way, even movement.

I've been told (five months after being given permission.) That I cannot evoke smoke anymore. If Ice-Evocationists get mist, why can't I summon smoke? I've practiced it a long time, and it's not just me who has used it. Rilath used to use it. Ambros does use it. Please answer this?