Magic Roleplay Q/a

Jistuma

So if it still has to be learnt, unlike when creating a generic swordsman/bowman character, why was it brought down to the same level of strength as a generic swordsman/bowman character?

If the removal of Magic Applications aimed to making magic like all combat, why can we not make a character (from scratch) that knows how to use such magic. It is not forced upon players that they learn how to use their other combat skills, why should magic still have to do this?

Is it not logical that if a certain combat system takes longer to acquire, it should have a greater reward when acquired? If swords and magic is now on an equal level of strength, why does Magic still have to be learnt when sword-fighting doesn't?

The same as before. Those are far more easily learnt than the others.

[edit] Also, you would have a lot more freedom with it.

Also I have question, Why are people making such a big deal about Magic in the first place? Wasn't magic intended to be a buff to RP not combat RP? I always imagined Magic as taking the next step to rp. Then we have those who just take magic for combat and that just seems silly because fighting isn't the point of life. Life is the point of life. 

If you use an existing magic in a way that gives you no Combat-Benefits, can we deviate from the lore slightly?

So if it still has to be learnt, unlike when creating a generic swordsman/bowman character, why was it brought down to the same level of strength as a generic swordsman/bowman character?

If the removal of Magic Applications aimed to making magic like all combat, why can we not make a character (from scratch) that knows how to use such magic. It is not forced upon players that they learn how to use their other combat skills, why should magic still have to do this?

Is it not logical that if a certain combat system takes longer to acquire, it should have a greater reward when acquired? If swords and magic is now on an equal level of strength, why does Magic still have to be learnt when sword-fighting doesn't?

Whether or not there are rules that say that magic is as powerful as a man with a sword, it won't ever really turn out that way. A bolt of electricity can stun a man and essentially win a fight for the caster, a fireball can light several people on fire and conjuration can summon up to two large creatures that would most-certainly put an edge on the Mages' fighting side. 

Guest Grey

Whether or not there are rules that say that magic is as powerful as a man with a sword, it won't ever really turn out that way. A bolt of electricity can stun a man and essentially win a fight for the caster, a fireball can light several people on fire and conjuration can summon up to two large creatures that would most-certainly put an edge on the Mages' fighting side. 

And I can conjure rocks.

You mages seem to forget that a thrown axe or shot arrow will wreck you just as well as fancy magic

You mages seem to forget that a thrown axe or shot arrow will wreck you just as well as fancy magic

I didn't imply that at all, actually, I just pointed out you can't really make magic and traditional weaponry on-par with each other without under-gaming your magical capabilities.

Ok..I have a question

Lets say (hypotheticly) That one was to earn alteration magic. Would one be able to alter themselves permantly in small ways? as beardmancy has shown that it is possible to use alteration to altar something alive.

I am asking if one would be able to alter themselves in small, non-combative ways. (A bit of fur on one's to keep themselves warm, slightly bigger nose to smell better (like a witches) Small things like that.)

Ok..I have a question

Lets say (hypotheticly) That one was to earn alteration magic. Would one be able to alter themselves permantly in small ways? as beardmancy has shown that it is possible to use alteration to altar something alive.

I am asking if one would be able to alter themselves in small, non-combative ways. (A bit of fur on one's to keep themselves warm, slightly bigger nose to smell better (like a witches) Small things like that.)

Certainly. Given the new magic changes, you're largely free to do as you please. Given that this could in no way be deemed powergaming... yes, you can.

Are we ever going to get that Transmogrification guide?

I want to do it, I really, really do. I want to understand its capabilities first though, so I don't step on every toe on the server.

Does the Lore Team want people to talk to them about the new magic they wish to invent first, or is it literally hell broken loose?

Are we ever going to get that Transmogrification guide?

I want to do it, I really, really do. I want to understand its capabilities first though, so I don't step on every toe on the server.

Track down Cruz and speak to him.
Also: "Transfiguration"

Does the Lore Team want people to talk to them about the new magic they wish to invent first, or is it literally hell broken loose?

If the magic they create don't break cannon lore, nor are extremely similar to other magic, nor is magic made to go around IC restrictions that stop the requirements to get another magic, they do not need lore. Of course it can't also be OP or create/do seemingly impossible things (like time travel)

Errata:

Q: Can I create a character that already knows magic?
A: No character that already knows magic can be created, with exception of ET event characters.
You can indeed create a character that already knows magic, so long as the magic they learn does not have any IC or OOC restrictions preventing them from doing so. This means that of all the magics, you can create a character that knows a new magic that the player created, or Arcana magic (with runesmithing exception), and priest healing.

Q: Can my character be born able to use magic?
A: No. Every character is able to learn magic, but no character can be born already knowing how to use it. If you wish to create a magic that is inborn, you will need to get it accepted beforehand.

Q: Does my character have to learn how to use magic?
A: Yes, your character can not acquire the knowledge and skill to perform magic on the spot, that is considered metagaming and powergaming. Your character will have to slowly learn from a teacher, or on his own. No, but you still have to follow the rules of no metagaming and powergaming. If the magic that your character would have requires knowledge that he would not have, that would be considered metagaming. And learning how to cast magic at the moment that the character is in danger would be considered powergaming. It is advised your character slowly learn from a teacher, or on his own with time, to prevent breaking the rules.

Q: Can I be a powerful mage and a powerful warrior at the same time?
A: No, magic has a corrupting effect on the mage. While you may use a sword and armor to signify the use of magic in PVP, in roleplay your character gets physically weaker as he learns more magic. No, although you can still be a mage and warrior at the same time, so long as you aren't extremely proficient at both. This is because magic and physical combat are inversely related, meaning that as you become more powerful in one you become weaker in the other. - http://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/98083-the-corruption-of-magic/?hl=magic- http://www.lordofthe...magic/?hl=magic

Q: Can I roleplay combat magic?
A: Yes, but be warned, your skill in magic will be up subjected to your skill in roleplaying, and the time your character has been training it. Also remember, that while you may be more powerful, weaker than another in a roleplay fight, in pvp you are always the same as your opponents (subjected to OOC skill in PVP, and armor/weapon).

Q: Can I use Air Evocation to fly?
A: No.

Errata:

Q: Can I create a character that already knows magic?

A: No character that already knows magic can be created, with exception of ET event characters.

You can indeed create a character that already knows magic, so long as the magic they learn does not have any IC or OOC restrictions preventing them from doing so. This means that of all the magics, you can create a character that knows a new magic that the player created, or Arcana magic (with runesmithing exception), and priest healing.

Q: Can my character be born able to use magic?

A: No. Every character is able to learn magic, but no character can be born already knowing how to use it. If you wish to create a magic that is inborn, you will need to get it accepted beforehand.

Q: Does my character have to learn how to use magic?

A: Yes, your character can not acquire the knowledge and skill to perform magic on the spot, that is considered metagaming and powergaming. Your character will have to slowly learn from a teacher, or on his own. No, but you still have to follow the rules of no metagaming and powergaming. If the magic that your character would have requires knowledge that he would not have, that would be considered metagaming. And learning how to cast magic at the moment that the character is in danger would be considered powergaming. It is advised your character slowly learn from a teacher, or on his own with time, to prevent breaking the rules.

Q: Can I be a powerful mage and a powerful warrior at the same time?

A: No, magic has a corrupting effect on the mage. While you may use a sword and armor to signify the use of magic in PVP, in roleplay your character gets physically weaker as he learns more magic. No, although you can still be a mage and warrior at the same time, so long as you aren't extremely proficient at both. This is because magic and physical combat are inversely related, meaning that as you become more powerful in one you become weaker in the other. - http://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/98083-the-corruption-of-magic/?hl=magic- http://www.lordofthe...magic/?hl=magic

Q: Can I roleplay combat magic?

A: Yes, but be warned, your skill in magic will be up subjected to your skill in roleplaying, and the time your character has been training it. Also remember, that while you may be more powerful, weaker than another in a roleplay fight, in pvp you are always the same as your opponents (subjected to OOC skill in PVP, and armor/weapon).

Much pleasure, thanks Jistuma :)

I thought alteration or transmogrification or whatever it is called was restricted. No?

Also, If there is freedom for magic. Would it be possible to begin to warp magic slightly like be able to have a bit better control over air magic. Such as to make the air rotate around my hands, or be able to have better control over the general magic.