Weapon Technology Advances

Lancing Riolo

I've recently been thinking on how long LOTC has existed and what advances weapons technology should have, especially considering the influence of magic in the world. I would think that there would already be gunpowder or some sort of explosive or even gas/oil. I hope that we would be able to implement grenades of explosive tipped ranged ammunition for bows and crossbows. Maybe even wrist mounted bows or crossbows. Also, i would think that by now people would understand that metal conducts electricity and an electric mage would wield a metal rod as a weapon. I hope that this idea helps someone reconsider implementing this.

-Nexus

I was planning on joining the Engineer Guild, and develop some new catapult ammunition (clay jars of Alchemist's Fire, Bloodshards etc). Might even do it!

I believe this has been tried already, with results being walls made of pure cannon. It was believed to be a massive failure. So, let's not repeat history.

People have tried to have gunpowder/guns/things like that implemented for quite some time now. Alas, most people don't like the idea of it and it always gets shot down. As for the other things, I'm not sure whether people have tried to have those implemented or not before, but if you're determined to get them implemented I'm sure you could write some good lore for them! :)

Cannons would be nice to have again. It would actually make naval battles interesting.

I believe this has been tried already, with results being walls made of pure cannon. It was believed to be a massive failure. So, let's not repeat history.

If people understood how the **** to build cannons, deathwalls would not be made due to the ridiculous impracticality of it all.

If people understood how the **** to build cannons, deathwalls would not be made due to the ridiculous impracticality of it all.

Mog/Seventh cannons

There is no gunpowder in LOTC universe anymore, which means you can not make cannons and the like.

Alchemy stuff while able to do small controlled things like fireworks, when gathered together to make big explosions are umpredictable and most likely would explode in the person's face instead of inside a cannon, thought things explode when doing alchemy, the alchemist never really knows when that will happen and not happen, mostly based of luck.

Pretty much, it breaks fantasy setting, but this doesn't mean you can't do new weapons like the ideas of Erlend "(clay jars of Alchemist's Fire, Bloodshards etc)", might happen. Just no cannons.

As for the other ideas, maybe, maybe not. If you want me to go one by one on them I can tell you if they would be possible or not.

How about science? Let's talk about science...Science in a whole is scientific nice, if you use a potato and bring science into it, the science will help the potato to keep track while we use the science to cast electric bolts down the goal...Science.

I'm not usually against things as much as I am with things like this. It's a slippery slope when one advance is made.

Silly clueless plebs! Alchemy is for alchemists!

On a serious note, clay jars of alchemists fire being shot out of catapults = disaster. They would blow up because of the imperfections in the clay that would disturb the liquid and make boom .Also, because of the shaking the catapult arm would provide to the liquid this would also cause it to explode in the air or even when being fired. That's why we use glass to contain alchemists fire, because it is smooth and has little imperfections. Also, you always want to throw alch fire underhand to minimize explosion rate and if you were yo use it as ammo you'd need an inverted trebuchet or sling to fire it and not a catapult or ballista or an onager.

And as always...make lore not fun, and thanks for reading.

that's the most metal thing I've ever heard.

I've recently been thinking on how long LOTC has existed and what advances weapons technology should have, especially considering the influence of magic in the world. I would think that there would already be gunpowder or some sort of explosive or even gas/oil. I hope that we would be able to implement grenades of explosive tipped ranged ammunition for bows and crossbows. Maybe even wrist mounted bows or crossbows. Also, i would think that by now people would understand that metal conducts electricity and an electric mage would wield a metal rod as a weapon. I hope that this idea helps someone reconsider implementing this.

-Nexus

Oil is quite possible, we had lantern oil not to long ago so flammable oil could be created by ambitious alchemist. As for military equipment, I know a flamethrower is in existence but explosive projectiles are out of the question. Same with wrist mounted weapons, anything that can be concealed will be thrown in a river. Electricity is a bit to realist for LotC..however an industrial revolution may be in the works. A certain blacksmith may have had a part in laying the groundwork for such. Now its just a waiting game..

Moved to roleplay ideas sub-forum.

The technical ideas sub-forum is for ideas which involve how the server technically works, such as mechanics and plugins.

Lore ideas belong in the roleplay ideas sub-forum.