Dude, Science

EmbryoGod

Technological advancement, by the way, doesn't mean just weaponry. It means more-easily built structures, better and safer bridges, medicine, and the likes. Of course some people will try to make an elitist system of it, but that once again goes for everything. People will safeguard their secrets and people will innovate themselves and distribute it. You can't sit there and say that all scientists are not going to give things out and make a superiority system.

Edit: not to mention that science can be taught with books and don't need a teacher, you use magic as an example but that was for the most part fixed, and science will be the same way. It's not something locked that only a select few people can master, it just requires dedication

Huh, that's strange. When I think of like science and technology I always think of the dwarves, that's really a difference of opinion I suppose *shrug*

We are, you have no idea what our people have created. The things our crazy people have done 0-0

In theory Magic is supposed to be the same; accessible to all and a means of providing roleplay, not an advantage, but the system of heavy regulation indirectly promoted elitism. Just because you say scientific developments are meant to be shared doesn't mean people will share them, because the MA system of Magic showed that in a environment where it is controlled then people just trend towards forming cliques. The group that kept evocation under their wrap and those they didn't want to learn evocation, and likewise, the group that makes all the technology and those they don't want to have it.

Also, not all Magic is for combat, a great deal isn't, and not all Magic is powerful, a great deal isn't. Tech is the same in that sense and so I imagine that a controlled environment the same effect will happen; elitism and cliques will develop.

In theory Magic is supposed to be the same; accessible to all and a means of providing roleplay, not an advantage, but the system of heavy regulation indirectly promoted elitism. Just because you say scientific developments are meant to be shared doesn't mean people will share them, because the MA system of Magic showed that in a environment where it is controlled then people just trend towards forming cliques. The group that kept evocation under their wrap and those they didn't want to learn evocation, and likewise, the group that makes all the technology and those they don't want to have it.

Have you not been listening? There's no restriction to who can and cannot learn science and become an engineer or physicist or chemist or alchemist. The regulation is a community thing, the community of scientists and of course the LM's decide whether or not a new type of technology will work. Your fears are ill placed.

But on that note, I have to go to work. I will post again tomorrow (I work incredibly late hours)

Of course there's no restriction in theory, every facet of roleplay is like that. But of course in practice that simply isn't the case. And who will that community of science folk be? Who decides who gets the tech? What's to stop the community of science folk becoming a clique and approving only the stuff their friends come up with?

The most advanced this server should EVER get is 18th century, but without guns that use gunpowder. More like super powerful crossbows. I highly dislike the idea of LotC moving past the late 16th/rearly 17th century though.

Of course there's no restriction in theory, every facet of roleplay is like that. But of course in practice that simply isn't the case. And who will that community of science folk be? Who decides who gets the tech? What's to stop the community of science folk becoming a clique and approving only the stuff their friends come up with?

By giving people who want to do it, and do it right the chance to start the first steps down a long journey. I.E. me and Valter, then let us grow the group to have ground rules that discourage elitism. Furthermore, elitism is subjective for other peoples opinions of one another.

And personally even if this is approved we're going to be under constant irritation and frustration from everyone else. If we were given lore approval I've come to grips that people aren't going to like us. If we didn't believe we could do it right we wouldn't bother. 

The most advanced this server should EVER get is 18th century, but without guns that use gunpowder. More like super powerful crossbows. I highly dislike the idea of LotC moving past the late 16th/rearly 17th century though.

Good thing you didn't see the ruins of that city in the north with Wind Generators then, huh?

What are these ground rules that would prevent elitism?

As I said, working knowledge of a concept, theory, or idea that survives the heinous cycle of peer-review and effective demonstration. And a degree of Math to back up the process at which the invention is guided.

That doesn't stop elitism, that stops any ideas this community of science folk deems unworthy from getting through, in essence exacerbating its extent if it does exist. I'm talking rules that would stop this science community moving towards being concentrated into a clique.

What the hell. I didn't expect this to be debated like this. S'cool.

Science doesn't have to be giving an advantage. Trying to find a 'periodic table' or naming the stars or whatever, that's some cool science ****. That doesn't give any advantage, right?

Also, I skimmed through this, so >.>

That doesn't stop elitism, that stops any ideas this community of science folk deems unworthy from getting through, in essence exacerbating its extent if it does exist. I'm talking rules that would stop this science community moving towards being concentrated into a clique.

Ah no, that's where you're wrong. You have no basis of proof for this because it hasn't been done with that kind of approach. And don't reply with If it happened with the Magic Team, it'll happen with the Science Team.

Ah no, that's where you're wrong. You have no basis of proof for this because it hasn't been done with that kind of approach. And don't reply with If it happened with the Magic Team, it'll happen with the Science Team.

Why a science team? What if anyone can post about it? Science is not like magic in that anyone, even if they know nothing about LotC, has equal footing and opportunity. Also, it's worth a try, even if it does fail miserably. Also, Hai Master Lark.