(Creature Lore) Toalak

Travista

aAOS28D.jpg?1

The Toalak

Creation

Laklul, being utterly pleased by clan Lak's strapping devotion would create the toalak as a token of his appreciation for Laks to mount upon! This would be entirely through extensive role-play with an orcish Farseer. Contact mister HELLFIAZz for the juicy details if you're interested. As a side-note they were heavily  influenced by the infamous cane toad ;)

Anatomy

The toalak height varies greatly from 5-9ft and scale in at a respectable range of 400-600lbs, females being noticeably slimmer and smaller in stature. Their body is covered in warts and typically have very shallow horns on their back with little practical use other than camouflage.

They bear lanky arms and powerful hind legs that are excellent for hopping and leaping about, able to hop their height and a few meters in distance at a time. Their webbed feet allow them to be natural swimmers, which they do quite often.

Toalaks are quite picky of their environment and cannot tolerate salty waters for large periods of time due to their shabby salt resistance. They are also amphibians and have skin that's a semi-permeable membrane, toalaks get their water from their environment so they must bask in water a few times a day to prevent drying out. If they are trapped in an extremely dry environment, such as a desert for more than an hour or so they will dry out and die. They are also not keen on cold and will quickly freeze solid, though if they were to be thawed out they'd be completely fine.

Poison

A very interesting trait about the toalak is their toxin, if one were to consume moderate to large amounts of a toalak's flesh they would experience heavy hallucinations before going into a deep, often fatal coma that can last for a few days, weeks in some cases. Their flesh contains a very pungent, rotten taste and odor so its use as a deceiving way to end someone's life would be very, very unwise. If one were to lick the toad or eat mild quantities of the toad's flesh they would only experience hallucinations and a relaxed feeling similar to that of cactus green. Toalak's do utilize this toxin though, it comes into great convenience while consuming prey. 

Diet

The toalak is an omnivore, typically feeding upon a wide range of various swamp flora. Their size does not permit them to be primarily herbivores and thus they must hunt. Due to their lack of agility and size they are ambush predators, waiting for smaller prey to unknowingly stroll near them for their demise. The prey they consume are rather small, ranging from swamp rats and stray dogs to turtles and are held in place by the beast's small, primitive teeth and powerful jaw until the toxins in their saliva sets in, which usually takes a minute or three. They'd  swallow their catch whole afterwards.

They do possess powerful jaws though they would not have the strength to grapple onto and contain something larger than a large dog, making it very poor  against most sentient life and such would not even attempt to lurch out and bite a person, elf kha or ork with their meager teeth, though halflings and younger children are plausible prey.

Reproduction and Life-span

A toalak's life-span is similar to that of a human, 45-85 years and they will reproduce once every four years after reaching adulthood until their demise. After being conceived the female will lay a shell-less egg in deep, still water, typically under the protection of a stone or thick flora in a dense nest of dead vegetation. 

Toalaks do not nurture their young and young tadpoles are left to fend for themselves, though they have no natural predators due to their toxin. When the egg hatches it will spew forth a tadpole that will dwell in the pond it was birthed in for three to four years while it develops limbs and matures. 

Pros

-Powerful swimmers

-Provide an /excellent/ alternative to cactus green

-They possess powerful hind legs, great for hopping about!

Cons

-If they must walk, they are extremely slow and clumsy

-Not very agile

- Large target, an archer, mage or spear bearer would find glee in fighting one

-Toxin is rather useless as a poison or in combat

-Cannot live in a desert or an extremely dry area for an extended period of time could be deadly

-Cannot live in a salty environment for an extended period of time such as an ocean (or near me on a Monday morning)

Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated! I do dearly hope that this is accepted as I feel it is not over powered, will provide my clan with countless traditions and offer Athera some good ol' hallucinogenics :) 

Reserved, and first too. 

+Support

The Pro's and Con's are really well written and rather /fair/ I guess you could say as it wouldn't make an RP situation all one sided though interesting and unique.

-edit- I like frogs.

Thats scary as Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.. But I like it :)

I like this, you've my support. 

Can't really see much of a downside. Pros and cons make sense and are well balanced. Support +1

Can't really see much of a downside. Pros and cons make sense and are well balanced. Support +1

Topkek

Aint got nothing on the Spined Feasel, but I like it.

[under Review]

Feel free to continue submitting feedback in the form of comments or changing the post should you want to, expect an answer within the coming week or just afterward.

This lore is   [Accepted] !

1443.gif