[✗] [Lore] Era of the Seeds

WuHanXianShi14

I like the culture of the lore, the only thing that had me 'erk' in a way or pushed my buttons was reading.

When the world was young, the Creator made the Aspects. While the Aspects created the wild world, the animals, plants, the sea and sky… The Creator gave birth to his final creations. Man and woman. Man and woman had four sons, one of whom was Malin. Malin, the fair haired, wisest of the brothers, sired his children - the elves, also known as Mali.

I'm not sure if you mean this in lore or just IC history story telling but the creator has never been said to exist lore wise, only believed to be.

Otherwise it's good lore.

http://wiki.lordofthecraft.net/The+Ancient+History

The Creator is a fundamental part of the server's most basic lore. The Canonist Church's Creator and the very basic and open ended depiction in the Creation lore are believed, (by the Church at least) to be the same entity. So give or take, I think we can say with a fair amount of certainty that the Creator does exist lorewise. Any dogma or beliefs that the Church writes for the Creator aren't necessarily lore approved in the same manner, but regardless, it's appropriate for Leo to cite a Creator in this sort of lore. 

Leo, a little extra flavor for you- High Prince Native was the one that built the city of Laurilen in lore- you could tie his character in and say that he was the one who brought this age to an end- and Respiren was the first Druid in any histories. If you wanted to go a little more in-depth, their characters are a good starting point. If you have any questions about anything specific that I remember, you know where to hmu

Leo, a little extra flavor for you- High Prince Native was the one that built the city of Laurilen in lore- you could tie his character in and say that he was the one who brought this age to an end- and Respiren was the first Druid in any histories. If you wanted to go a little more in-depth, their characters are a good starting point. If you have any questions about anything specific that I remember, you know where to hmu

From what I remember, Respiren was not the first Druid, but the first to lead the Druids.

I remember as a little plant that Respiren showed me a book about something akin to Druid Wars.

I also agree with Lulu here.

I would also like to input that, to me when I first started on this server in Aegis, as a Wood Elf, that I always envisioned them as Druids without the title. Lovers of peace and trees, they respected nature. The idea of warring Wood Elves doesnt necessarily appeal to me, but that's just a personal opinion.

As an old Wood Elf, I understand how it could possibly feel to not have an "origin story", but I always thought of that to be a good thing and not bad. Wood Elves are generally the more sane compared to the High Elves and Dark Elves, able to sort of  be the middle ground for both type of cultures, but the more peaceful out of the two. That's the way I always thought of it. I don't see how we could not just say how the idea of how all Wood Elves thought of nature as the most important thing and lived together peacefully under a Princedom and not something akin to Orcs fighting each other in tribes or Dwarves and their warring clans.

Why everyone wants to have a military and bloody origin story is kind of bland and boring at this point, which is kind of ironic with what I am trying to say here, since I am saying that the Wood Elves SHOULD just be a simple peaceful gathering of their race and not one founded in bloodshed. I mean really, you can see how in the past the Wood Elves have always been peaceful, since Native and all. This kind of breaks lore of how things were, since I think it was also mentioned that Malin was the more peaceful out of the brothers when gathering his brethren.

Edited by Valkorion

Weren't all elves in ancient history the same subrace? I thought they started the schism after the Verge.

From what I remember, Respiren was not the first Druid, but the first to lead the Druids.

I remember as a little plant that Respiren showed me a book about something akin to Druid Wars.

I would also like to input that, to me when I first started on this server in Aegis, as a Wood Elf, that I always envisioned them as Druids without the title. Lovers of peace and trees, they respected nature. The idea of warring Wood Elves doesnt necessarily appeal to me, but that's just a personal opinion.

As an old Wood Elf, I understand how it could possibly feel to not have an "origin story", but I always thought of that to be a good thing and not bad. Wood Elves are generally the more sane compared to the High Elves and Dark Elves, able to sort of  be the middle ground for both type of cultures, but the more peaceful out of the two. That's the way I always thought of it. I don't see how we could not just say how the idea of how all Wood Elves thought of nature as the most important thing and lived together peacefully under a Princedom and not something akin to Orcs fighting each other in tribes or Dwarves and their warring clans.

Why everyone wants to have a military and bloody origin story is kind of bland and boring at this point, which is kind of ironic with what I am trying to say here, since I am saying that the Wood Elves SHOULD just be a simple peaceful gathering of their race and not one founded in bloodshed. I mean really, you can see how in the past the Wood Elves have always been peaceful, since Native and all. This kind of breaks lore of how things were, since I think it was also mentioned that Malin was the more peaceful out of the brothers when gathering his brethren.

My bad- the first Druid of Aegis, the one who taught the civilizations we know in LOTC what Druidism is. It is implied or suggested that he brought the knowledge from some other, faraway place.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree.

Its far, far too late in the server to implement something so drastically world changing, something that literally enforces the history on all wood elves, regardless of their own history.

It would be much more preferable if you removed the word "all" entirely from the lore. If this applied to some subset of Elves I would not mind; However, by enforcing it onto all wood elves, you are effectively choking out the implementation of further cultural lore because you are claiming an incredibly long span of time and effectively saying that only what is listed here occurred to the elves during that time. That, in my opinion, greatly stifles creativity and the ability of other users to create further lore for the wood elves and their history. Lore shouldn't, in my opinion, limit the abilities of others to create lore over such a long period of time.

This lore pertains to a period of ancient history before the beginning of when we started RPing in Aegis. Therefore it literally only exists to add flavour to people who wish to bring culture to their wood elf RP. Wood elves who choose to ignore this lore will not be obligated to change a single thing about their character's backstory.

Also, I'm not stifling or choking anything. This piece of lore can be expanded and built on. The possibilities are endless and if you have any ideas I'd be glad to hear them. Nowhere did I say 'all other ideas pertaining to wood elf history is now null and void'.

I just wrote something where before there was nothing. I don't plan to stifle or shut down anyone's wood elf lore (not that anyone other than me has been writing any for the past year) and infact, the era of the seeds is, like you said, a simple concept over a huge time period and a thousand different creative things could be incorporated into it by whoever wants to, and I'd be glad to help them if they wish.

Edited by 吳憾戰士14

doublepost because grr forums

I respect your opinion but I believe you may be misinformed.

You may be an old wood elf RPer but you haven't been around in our playerbase for at least a year. Right now you have no stake in the wood elves whereas me and the others who wrote this post do, and have poured hours into it. It really just comes to the fact that we know what we need, and the people who've never RP'ed a wood elf won't. I'm not trying to personally attack you, just trying to get my standpoint down clearly.

Wood Elves have always been peaceful, since Native and all.

This lore takes place long before Native, and ends with the founding of Laurelin, Malinor being the 'great uniter' of the race. Skirmishes and wars were a relatively small part of their lifestyle that occured once in awhile. I had this talk with a friend a few weeks ago actually, and she pointed out that the war aspect of that piece of lore may be overemphasized.

It should be clarified however that the Era of the Seeds was, by in large, peaceful.

My bad- the first Druid of Aegis, the one who taught the civilizations we know in LOTC what Druidism is. It is implied or suggested that he brought the knowledge from some other, faraway place.

I actually browsed the druid library website before writing this and I found two conflicting, and very vague stories about the origin of druidism. It's wholly possible there were druids of other races at the time of the Era of the Seeds, but the ones the wood elves of this time sought out for guidance were all wood elven.

+1

Leo has put in a huge amount of effort into building the Wood Elven culture, religion, etc. I would love to see this get approved.

Edited by Skylezz1

Updated the lore.

Seed leader's titles changed from "Warchiefs" to "Keepers". Warchiefs as detailed in Watylls original war of the tyrants are now canonically recognized as titles given to a seed's most capable warrior during times of conflict.

Conflict itself was very rare, which is why when it did happen it was more memorable and such fights stand the time of history. By in large, the Era of the Seeds are a peaceful time period. Petty squabbles did occur between Seeds on occasion but they rarely ended in large amounts of bloodshed, as the elves understood the sanctity of life.

I support the notion of communities writing their perceived versions of their antediluvian histories, but writing things that reach back prior to the server's beginning ages (dating around 1300-something, which was like 2011 or 4 years ago) should remain in the hands of the Lore Team. Granted, some degree of truth can be injected into ones' self-imposed chronicles by speaking with the team about it, but the annals lie with the LT mostly based on the fact that we hold all factual resources pertaining to LoTC canon and thus can produce proper, informed origin stories.

Edited by Swgrclan

We hold all factual resources pertaining to LoTC canon and thus can produce proper, informed origin stories.

Well. Why don't you then.

Leo seems to have done the job for you.

He has spent a huge amount of time developing and spreading this lore among wood elves, with it being accepted almost unanimously.

Unless it clashes with previous lore, I dont see why we cant accept this proposed lore that 90% of the Welf playerbase activly follows, 9% passivly follows, and 1% ignores. 

As to preventing future lore from being written, if someone wants to write a different origin story for the wood elves, they can. I just dont see anyone being as dedicated and writing as eloquently as Artimec.

but writing things that reach back prior to the server's beginning ages (dating around 1300-something, which was like 2011 or 4 years ago) should remain in the hands of the Lore Team. 

Issue: The Lore team has very often proved completely unwilling (or downright against) to work with player bases to even a minimal extent when their lore is in tatters with no functional components. (Even when their own failings in their own team produced such.) [Re: Runesmithing/Dwarven Lore in general]. 

Its very clear that the lore team as it has been structured for about one year has not be capable of handling racial/subracial lore. We can all clearly remember when the lore team quite literally dwarven history and its racial magics with massive failures to implement even a single dungeon past novermber 2014, ultimately leaving the throne of Urguan himself destroyed and the build never even completed.

Ultimately, the dwarves just had to rely upon what Dizzy did at the time as a ET manager (and eventually just a GM.)

As such,  its my firm belief that player bases themselves should get a say in their own histories and contribute the ''communal storytelling'' that is role playing. Indeed, the focus of the lore team should be writing lore relevant to the player bases themselves rather than of pandering to smaller magic groups.

Instead of expanding the original lore the team just focuses on progressing a story like its some sort of book about the next cool character individual character (that will invevitably be played by a GM.) I'm fairly sure a lot of people are tired of you just making stuff specifically relating to the new flavor of aenguldaemon/dark nasty.

They would prefer to have lore relevant to their characters own histories and stories. Many nations have large player bases who would love to contribute and interact with their own histories but are forced to just go "Oh look, Gazardiel/Xan/Taharie/The Wraiths/The blood mages did some magical achievement/defeated a bad guy/good guy." or "This person gained x magical ability because their aenguldaemon said they needed it to fight the big bad guy." 

And where do the nations stand in that? "Turn up to this pve event and watch our cool magical group we pander to do some rp while you click mobs."

but writing things that reach back prior to the server's beginning ages (dating around 1300-something, which was like 2011 or 4 years ago) should remain in the hands of the Lore Team. 

Issue: The Lore team has very often proved completely unwilling (or downright against) to work with player bases to even a minimal extent when their lore is in tatters with no functional components. (Even when their own failings in their own team produced such.) [Re: Runesmithing/Dwarven Lore in general]. 

Its very clear that the lore team as it has been structured for about one year has not be capable of handling racial/subracial lore. We can all clearly remember when the lore team quite literally dwarven history and its racial magics with massive failures to implement even a single dungeon past novermber 2014, ultimately leaving the throne of Urguan himself destroyed and the build never even completed.

Ultimately, the dwarves just had to rely upon what Dizzy did at the time as a ET manager (and eventually just a GM.)

As such,  its my firm belief that player bases themselves should get a say in their own histories and contribute the ''communal storytelling'' that is role playing. Indeed, the focus of the lore team should be writing lore relevant to the player bases themselves rather than of pandering to smaller magic groups.

Instead of expanding the original lore the team just focuses on progressing a story like its some sort of book about the next cool character individual character (that will invevitably be played by a GM.) I'm fairly sure a lot of people are tired of you just making stuff specifically relating to the new flavor of aenguldaemon/dark nasty.

They would prefer to have lore relevant to their characters own histories and stories. Many nations have large player bases who would love to contribute and interact with their own histories but are forced to just go "Oh look, Gazardiel/Xan/Taharie/The Wraiths/The blood mages did some magical achievement/defeated a bad guy/good guy." or "This person gained x magical ability because their aenguldaemon said they needed it to fight the big bad guy." 

And where do the nations stand in that? "Turn up to this pve event and watch our cool magical group we pander to do some rp while you click mobs."

oooohhhhhhhh snap

Seems pretty good to me.