Shade Lore

I really like the idea and the concept, I would like to see Shade Magic being used more often, and hopefully this rewrite will help. 

+1

I've just one problem about this lore, that being the Daeva. I generally dislike its entire concept, from its ability to manipulate shade magic on a whim to the transition from a spectral entity to a normal descendant. That ability, the one allowing a Daeva to switch in between forms, is incredibly overpowered. Why would they be unaffected by aurum and holy magic while in their mortal forms when they've given themselves to a shadow demon?! And why is the shadow demon's, aknu'gul, will a listed weakness? We all know becoming a "Morghuul-creature" won't happen unless you shades, who all seem to convene with one another in OOC, agree to such. And if that's the case, which it really is, then it's not a weakness but another condition made to LOOK like a weakness. And why are these things even necessary? You already have shade fathers, do you really want to hop on that "itharel-wraith-keeper-etc-etc" band wagon? 

If you want my support, either make Daeva an aesthetic form (lacking strengths) or give them actual unique weaknesses rather than cliche aurum-deific magic and a weakness that reverts them to a form unharmed by aurum  and dark magic (which actually sounds more and more like an implied strength, I.e. Someone tries to figure out if another is a Daeva using aurum! Whoops, that guy's not affected).

DISCLAIMER: This was not meant to be rude, I just thought blunt writing will help get my point across.

9 minutes ago, Redxophos said:

I've just one problem about this lore, that being the Daeva. I generally dislike its entire concept, from its ability to manipulate shade magic on a whim to the transition from a spectral entity to a normal descendant. That ability, the one allowing a Daeva to switch in between forms, is incredibly overpowered. Why would they be unaffected by aurum and holy magic while in their mortal forms when they've given themselves to a shadow demon?! And why is the shadow demon's, aknu'gul, will a listed weakness? We all know becoming a "Morghuul-creature" won't happen unless you shades, who all seem to convene with one another in OOC, agree to such. And if that's the case, which it really is, then it's not a weakness but another condition made to LOOK like a weakness. And why are these things even necessary? You already have shade fathers, do you really want to hop on that "itharel-wraith-keeper-etc-etc" band wagon? 

If you want my support, either make Daeva an aesthetic form (lacking strengths) or give them actual unique weaknesses rather than cliche aurum-deific magic and a weakness that reverts them to a form unharmed by aurum  and dark magic (which actually sounds more and more like an implied strength, I.e. Someone tries to figure out if another is a Daeva using aurum! Whoops, that guy's not affected).

DISCLAIMER: This was not meant to be rude, I just thought blunt writing will help get my point across.

Blunt writing does indeed, make you out to be extremely rude. Just saying, and it doesn't help you get your point across. If anything it makes you out to be extremely passive-aggressive.

[I'll be replying to messages here tomorrow, too. I'll let Hugo handle responses in regards to the Daeva as he wrote them.] And Aknu'gul's will is enforced over them, should they break from Aknu'gul's will then they will be forced into a morghuul-like state. There is no gathering OOCly. It's point blank fact. It's a life-changing decision for a character, not something you idly take up on the side.

2 hours ago, Redxophos said:

Hi! Thanks for posing these questions anyway, and I'll try answer them to the best of my ability.

1) It is OP to be able to transform into a less harmful, more vulnerable 'version'. I don't believe so. Most 'end-games' have one means or another of achieving this, so the player can still have relatively normal RP. This is just that. Just as Wights may host a body and Wraiths may husk, Daeva can change back. Heck, they are limited to only their body, too! Nothing else!

2) Why are they not affected by aurum and holy magic when they are in 'mortal' form? As you kept stating, I feel as though this might make it just like every other 'end-game' of the dark arts, where they indiscriminately weak to holy magic. So, instead of having that, I used logic; the shade's soul is not corrupt enough to create a tainted body when they can assume their descendant form, but the moment it is fully corrupted enough to transform them into a dark being, they become vulnerable.  Basically, their soul blueprint is changed enough to make a change to their very being.

3) The downside of being connected to Aknu'gul is real. If a player that is a Daeva decides to go inactive or performs anything that a player (be they a shade or not) believes 'goes against' the will of their Shade Gem, they can easily be reported to an LM or something of the sort. This restriction is very similar to other ones that are OOCly made, like PK clauses or serving one's self over to something with power over your soul. Of course, OOCly, you will make sure everything is clear, but all parties accept the results if something goes wrong.

4) Why are these necessary? I reply with a counter question: Why is any lore necessary? Why don't we just never write anything new and enjoy what we have? Whatever your answer is, remember that you, too, will one day wish for some lore to be written down that isn't 'necessary' but is otherwise enjoyable. I'd hate for you to limit yourself by your own words.

5) I did add a very unique weakness, but you seem to have overlooked it; the incredible aversion to light. I think that is quite unique, and no other creature has this. Not even the Strigae! As for the aversion to aurum and holy magic: all creatures of this sort have a weakness to this. Whilst you may be understanding of me if I suddenly decide to (for some reason) make Daeva immune to these tools, a lot of other people will make even blunter posts asking me who the heck I think I am.

Whilst I do think your points could have come across a bit more constructively, I appreciate you asking the questions and I enjoyed answering them. If you still have any after this, please feel free to ask me privately on Skype or (if it is a smaller question that won't clog up the forum) here!

That's some shady stuff, you got there, Hugo.......

+0.99

:^)

plus 1!!

It's so beautiful. However as Arcanism Man Guy I have gripe. The Arcanism section implies shade magic itself can create stronger Barrie's than Arcanism. Perhaps if they are using the augmented Arcanism but arcane shielding in Arcanism is still the premo (as in strongest) barrier salesman! 

41 minutes ago, BrandNewKitten said:

It's so beautiful. However as Arcanism Man Guy I have gripe. The Arcanism section implies shade magic itself can create stronger Barrie's than Arcanism. Perhaps if they are using the augmented Arcanism but arcane shielding in Arcanism is still the premo (as in strongest) barrier salesman! 

I'm glad you like it! But I'm a little concerned you think so, as that was not my intention! What part made you think shade magic can make barriers like arcanism?

11 hours ago, Mephistophelian said:

I'm glad you like it! But I'm a little concerned you think so, as that was not my intention! What part made you think shade magic can make barriers like arcanism?

Its just the wording is all. In the augmented magic section where Arcanism is listed. It's nothing too abhorrent. It just caught my eye since I'm trained to be triggered by anything Arcanism related.

Just now, BrandNewKitten said:

Its just the wording is all. In the augmented magic section where Arcanism is listed. It's nothing too abhorrent. It just caught my eye since I'm trained to be triggered by anything Arcanism related.

I'll be sure to edit the wording, thank you :)