[✗] [Alchemy/Tinker Lore] Black Powder

drfate786

An Explosive Syringe Part One

Black Powder and Gyloth, The Failed Experiment

The following excerpt is taken from the diary of a long forgotten alchemist who goes by the name of A.H.A, it is not known what Gyloth is but the failure evidently led to the creation of black powder.

“Day 112, Year 1569, I have finally found an imp parasite after a strange man attempted to bite me, his death was quick and I was even quicker to retrieve the sample. These creatures have long been thought extinct, but I suppose I have proved otherwise. I have named the creature Gyloth, it will serve me well when I attempt to create a potion capable of destroying his kind once and for all.”

“Day 114, Year 1569, I have managed to acquire a batch of starved coyote ticks. When mixed with a crimson vase I should get an effect similar to a love potion, the idea is to create a potion that will make the imp parasite fall in love with the host, I will then modify the potion to then trick the imp parasite into starving itself. I have added some Zawabate to the mix and then I added a serpent's stalk.”

“Day 115, Year 1569, I dumped the concoction into Gyloth’s tank, he seems to be reacting to the substance.  Upon further observation it would seem that he has actually grown several inches, this is not a good sign. I must conduct further experiments.”

“Day 116, Year 1569, keeping mind the ingredients I used, I made a new batch of the potion and have begun to reverse its effects, this should make a potion that will force Gyloth to shrivel and die. I added some drake’s tail and blood lotus to the potion, I then topped it off with some flametongue.”

“Day 118, Year 1569, I dumped the potion into Gyloth’s tank. Upon further study it would seem, he was fully resilient to the potion. He has begun excreting a black tar into the tank, upon returning the tank was pitch black and I could no longer see what was going on. I believe it was a success and the imp parasite has now died, I will be working to create more of these potions.”

“Day 120, Year 1569, I have failed, Gyloth was not dead as I last thought, it grew to an enormous size and then proceeded to smash its way out of the tank. Before I could set off the alarms it threw itself at me. I managed to escape the laboratory and I even collected some samples of the black excretion it kept producing, I will be studying this further. “

“Day 121, Year ???, the world is ending, Orgon, has been freed. I shouldn’t have taken those vials from the orcish chieftain. With the world now ending I have taken whatever samples I could carry and have hitched a ride on one of the dreadlandic ships. I will be experimenting with the black tar in the hopes of finding a cure.”

“Day 122, Year 1589, I failed once more, but my failure has brought with it fruit. The black tar cannot be replicated as only Gyloth was capable of creating it, I have however, been able to replicate it’s black texture and have created a black powder from crushing gunpowder and thanhium together, the crushed mix must then be treated with dark resin and crushed coal. Alchemic fuel must then be added to the mix with a flame charge and blaze powder, glue oil must then be added to produce a tar-like substance. This unstable mix will rapidly burn when expose to flame and may even explode when in contact with open flame to devastating effect. It is indeed similar to the black tar excreted by Gyloth, it lacks it’s strange regenerative properties however.”

“Day 125, Year 1591, When I put the substance into a syringe and injected it into a member of the clergy we had “acquired” and infected with an imp parasite, his veins ruptured and he spontaneously combusted. The syringe then exploded in my hand and I was forced to go through surgery to have pieces of heated glass and metal removed from my hand. The substance is incredibly unstable and is unable to kill an imp parasite without killing the host as well. I have given up on my research and will attempt to publish my works to the emperor.”

Upon failing to cure the imp parasite, the unknown alchemist published his works to the empire. The recipe for black powder was now in the hands of humanity, however, what happened to Gyloth or the black substance was never quite clear.

Black powder is an unstable mix of thanhium, coal, gunpowder, blaze powder, dark resin, alchemic fuel, a flame charge and glue oil. The thanhium absorbs and disperses the energy while the coal and gunpowder create force, the blaze powder, alchemic fuel and flame charge create heat and the dark resin and glue oil contain the heat, this stops it from dispersing all at once. This creates an explosive force that, when confined to a small space such as a pipe, will concentrate the energy and release it, creating a blast. This powder may have many uses in the fields of alchemy and tinkering, mayhaps a clever inventor will create an invention with this?

Gyloths lore will be released shortly after this, for all lore of this magnitude must come with a consequence for implementation.

Crafting

Black powder will be a craftable item that may be crafted by master tinkers, it will take 10 hours to make a single powder and must be kept in a dry, sealed, barrel or it may lose its explosive charge. This lore is intended to open the doors to the possibility of magical muskets and other fantasy-setting weapons that do not require a mage to operate. Alternatively, this lore will allow for the creation of stronger explosive devices.

Recipe:

Fine Thanhic Dust (Thanhic dust that has been refined even further) : 2

Fine Coal Dust (Created in the tinker table, costs 10 coal to make): 4

Gunpowder: 4

Blaze Powder: 6

Dark Resin: 3

Glue Oil (If the alchemy version cannot be used a new version will be made)

Alchemic Fuel: 10

Flame Charge: 2

Result: One pouch of black powder.

so many attempts..

this isnt going to be a successful one.

o7

It makes sense, with all these recent inventions of magical firearms and rune cannons it makes sense for us 'common' folk to have. It actually puts common folks on par now. The fact that is also doesn't introduce any guns intrigues me. I'd really like to see where this goes.

23 minutes ago, Taketheshot said:

It makes sense, with all these recent inventions of magical firearms and rune cannons it makes sense for us 'common' folk to have. It actually puts common folks on par now. The fact that is also doesn't introduce any guns intrigues me. I'd really like to see where this goes.

This makes sense.  +1 drfate.

3 hours ago, Taketheshot said:

The magical fire arms you speak of have always been in the lore, they're just shaped like staffs or wands.

1 minute ago, Drunken Mutt said:

The magical fire arms you speak of have always been in the lore, they're just shaped like staffs or wands.

Well anyone can use the magical firearms now. Regardless of if you know magic.

3 minutes ago, Taketheshot said:

Well anyone can use the magical firearms now. Regardless of if you know magic.

Same with staffs and wands..

3 hours ago, drfate786 said:

Recipe:

Fine Thanhic Dust (Thanhic dust that has been refined even further) : 2

Fine Coal Dust (Created in the tinker table, costs 10 coal to make): 4

Gunpowder: 4

Blaze Powder: 6

Dark Resin: 3

Glue Oil (If the alchemy version cannot be used a new version will be made)

Alchemic Fuel: 10

Flame Charge: 2

Result: One pouch of black powder.

latest?cb=20150421054833

For the alchemical part in this, what symbols of the herbs were required to make that potion?  Plus, I thought love potions were supposed to just be a myth on LotC, and I believe the order of the herbs might want to be adjusted since they can only be added to a potion in a certain order (to my knowledge). Water > fire > air > earth

just woke up as well, so if I got something wrong or happened to misread or didn't see anything, that's probably why

also mundane guns are a no no

Edited by UnBaed

Guns should already be possible to make and use, There is just a huge OOC barrier blocking people from doing such, I really like the idea of black powder and i think it could really even out the playing field for all the common folk who have to deal with all these enchanted weapons and what not. +1

yes to black powder. but no to guns. I dont think i want 'common folk' to have access to one shot one kill weapons

3 hours ago, The Beast mod Orodreth said:

yes to black powder. but no to guns. I dont think i want 'common folk' to have access to one shot one kill weapons

This lore is for black powder, not guns. I'm going to let the LT and the playerbase decide what to do with the powder. 

Edit: Also, muskets we're rarely one shot one kill. They were inaccurate as hell and could only be fired once before needing to be reloaded. This process took about a whole minute at best, by the time you reloaded the musket you would already be dead from a sword blow. The musket would only allow you to maim or kill the target at close ranges, and that was if you were lucky. Musketeers also had to know how much powder to place inside the musket as too little would mean nothing would happen and too much could make the musket explode in your face. 

6 hours ago, UnBaed said:

For the alchemical part in this, what symbols of the herbs were required to make that potion?  Plus, I thought love potions were supposed to just be a myth on LotC, and I believe the order of the herbs might want to be adjusted since they can only be added to a potion in a certain order (to my knowledge). Water > fire > air > earth

just woke up as well, so if I got something wrong or happened to misread or didn't see anything, that's probably why

also mundane guns are a no no

The potion ingredients may be in disorder but they should be, the potion created an abomination so it is highly unlikely the alchemist would even state what ingredients he used. How do you know he didn't lie about the ingredients in his journal to prevent someone from repeating his mistake? But if you can cite the precise order of herbs I could change the order they are described in.

On 07/01/2017 at 1:57 AM, drfate786 said:

This lore is for black powder, not guns. I'm going to let the LT and the playerbase decide what to do with the powder. 

Edit: Also, muskets we're rarely one shot one kill. They were inaccurate as hell and could only be fired once before needing to be reloaded. This process took about a whole minute at best, by the time you reloaded the musket you would already be dead from a sword blow. The musket would only allow you to maim or kill the target at close ranges, and that was if you were lucky. Musketeers also had to know how much powder to place inside the musket as too little would mean nothing would happen and too much could make the musket explode in your face. 

The potion ingredients may be in disorder but they should be, the potion created an abomination so it is highly unlikely the alchemist would even state what ingredients he used. How do you know he didn't lie about the ingredients in his journal to prevent someone from repeating his mistake? But if you can cite the precise order of herbs I could change the order they are described in.

People will just aim for the head and roll-play it. Like every other 'luck based' weapon sadly

Just now, The Beast mod Orodreth said:

People will just aim for the head and roll-play it. Like every other 'luck based' weapon sadly

We'll see. 

I'm pretty sure black powder already exists to an extent within the lore of LotC. Natural things like minerals or animals tend to be allowed in LotC if they already exist IRL: which black powder does. Guns and other such advancements are just barred due to OOC restrictions.