[✗] (Lore Sub.) The Dreadfiends.

OzYmandi

Dreadfiends

~====~

Introduction:

The Dreadfiend are undead created by almost the same way a wraith is created, though the ritual is different. Dreadfiends share a feature with Gravens: semi-corporeality. That gives the Dreadfiends little to no interaction with the world, leaving them in an endless limbo. What makes them different from ghosts, gravens and other specters then? Well, dreadfiends at the core are like ghostly ghouls, though not braindead and  taking the form of a humanoid, independant of their past race and they tend to walk in all fours.

Appearance:

Dreadfiends are grey or black creatures with large teeth like a tiger's, yet bigger. Their body shows signs of clear lack of life-force, leaving them in an eternal hunger, regardless of they being fed or not. Their hands have no fingers, they are enormous five inches long claws and their feet the same, making them efficient in combat without weapons.

(Couldn't upload reference image, sorry)

Abilities:

The Dreadfiends have a single unique abilitie, which is the ability to drain the life-force out of others with their foul touch, feeding them without the need of actually eating. Though that would be really hard for a Dreadfiend, since they'd have the same weaknesses as a Graven woud, but we'll get to that later on.

Weakness:

Dreadfiends, like Gravens, are highly damaged by steel and aurum alike, also highly weak to fire. Exposing them to any kind of fire will purge them from the mortal plane, forcing the Dreadfiends to either succumb back to the state of death or make them imensely weak.

Creation:

Dreadfiends are created by a necromancer. The ritual is simple: The Dreadfiend, in the beginning a normal man or woman, gets drained out of his/her life-force. Though that seems a normal necromantic ritual, the man/woman would get drained to a point they were almost bone and ash, the necromancer leaving them in that state. Then a mystic takes place and stabs the almost bone and ash person in the chest area with a ectoplasm-imbued blade, leaving them in a state of hunt for life-force like a ghoul, though with the same cognitive abilities, strategies, personality and mindset a normal man/woman would have. After all that, the Dreadfiend is made, and it begins to take the form descripted in the Appearance section.

Cons:

-CA creature created by a necromancer.

-Unable to interact with objects the descendants are able to.

-Exposure to extreme heat or any sort of fire makes them useless or kills them.

- Weakness to normal steel swords, even Iron sometimes.

- If not fed daily, the Dreadfiend will become insane.

- When insane, a Dreadfiend will take no other option but to attack.

- They can't wear armor.

- They can't wield weapons.

- They can't procriate in ANY WAY.

- Like a Ghoul, Dreadfiends have soul shadows, leaving them unable to practice magic.

- A stab to the chest kills it.

Pros:

- They can drain life-force to feed themselves just by the touch.

- Great speed, matching that of a dark elf's.

- Claws as sharp as a sword.

- Ability to hear and 'sniff' are greatly improved.

OOC LINE:

Well, here goes nothing. I tried, people, I did! I hope this isn't lore-breaking or anything, but I thought it was a good idea. Feel free to leave feedback that WILL be taken in. Hope you enjoy, if not, well, feel free to leave why in the comment section. Thank you~! 

-Soviet, Top Notch Memer.

No more undead creatures. We have enough already!

9 minutes ago, Hedgehug said:

I know I'm gonna get the undead community triggered |:)

Edit: Gotta admit I'm in love with my idea, though.

i was hoping it was DreadFriends, not fiends :< still a nice idea tho

14 minutes ago, Archipelego said:

i was hoping it was DreadFriends, not fiends :< still a nice idea tho

DreadFriends... I love you.

Make them shot lazers out of their eyes, tha be a cool  undead, also make some redlines

Seems like a neat idea. Maybe not as a playable race use it as a event creature though would be interesting

No more undead please my dark souls experiences can't handle anymore

As the writer of mysticism and current lorekeeper of it, wights, paleknights, ghosts, gravens, and Apparitions, I can say that this doesn't complement the current set well. I was interested by the thought of a necromancer and mystic ganging up to try and create a creature like this but for its depth and apparent anorexic writing there's not much to make it work with. If you truly wanted to push this I'd suggest a name change into something less threatening, more concrete reasoning for their malady (state of being, necrotic or spectral, mixes strangely here and there's not much consistency between it and others or even hybrids) and their traits, and generally more background lore to be worked into this. This submission sits oddly between necrotic creature lore and spectral creature lore.

23 minutes ago, Zarsies said:

As the writer of mysticism and current lorekeeper of it, wights, paleknights, ghosts, gravens, and Apparitions, I can say that this doesn't complement the current set well. I was interested by the thought of a necromancer and mystic ganging up to try and create a creature like this but for its depth and apparent anorexic writing there's not much to make it work with. If you truly wanted to push this I'd suggest a name change into something less threatening, more concrete reasoning for their malady (state of being, necrotic or spectral, mixes strangely here and there's not much consistency between it and others or even hybrids) and their traits, and generally more background lore to be worked into this. This submission sits oddly between necrotic creature lore and spectral creature lore.

Feedback is highly appreciated! I'll start working on those changes and add a lil' bit of lore to them.  I thought the name was too threatning aswell, and I've got some other things in mind. Their state would be more spectral (I'll add that), I'll add some traits and background to it. Thank you @Zarsies.

3 hours ago, Hedgehug said:

No more Shaman creatures. We have enough already!

Sorry, I think this lore isn't really well-developed just yet and the formatting is really poorly set up. I advise you try to diversify your piece a bit and establish a clear cut pros and cons system, be more concise with your wording, etcetera.

Also, undead can't procreate normally, so it's not even worth outlining since that's common sense. 

Check out the Spectral Codex to see other spectral creature lore and see if you can get [insert name] to a similar level.

-Exposure to extreme heat or any sort of fire makes them useless or kills them

Saying that they are weak to heat on the overall basis where then you say great resistance to electric evocation - I don't think that makes much sense.

Necromancers have enough creatures at the moment that they’re capable of creating, so a new one would have to have some significance to it for us to consider accepting it. This creature is just a mesh of current creatures that doesn’t add anything new, perhaps try to steer away from aspects that current creatures have and do something unique.