A BEAR'S SLUMBER [PK]

Sarmadonn

Within the Seven Skies, sat atop a tree stump, would be a little girl barely over the age of thirteen. Golden locks would fall down her shoulders, shaking as she laughed in merriment. Upon hearing the sound of footsteps approaching her, Analiesa de Astrea would whirl around, a beaming grin resting on her face.

"I have been waiting." She said softly, holding a hand out to welcome her friend. "Maman did nie come, so I have been quite bored." She drawled, picking up a small teacup from the set which lay before her. "I saved you a cup, Ruslan. Now tell me, how is Adalia fairing?" 

----------------

The soft patter of small feet could be heard as Margot Baruch roamed around the halls of Valwyck Castle, the young girl humming to herself as she explored. It wasn't until she came to the familiar door of her father's room did her footsteps cease. Tilting her head curiously to the side, she would proceed forward, pushing her way into the room to find what remained of her father, laying cold and stiff before her. 

The young Baruch would feel the familiar sting in her chest as she realsed what befall her beloved father, hands wiping at her now tear stained cheeks. Margot did not cry often, or at all really and if she did, it was only briefly in her youth. Sniffling to herself as she remained in the doorway, the girl would spin on her heel to run and find her brother, leaving the door ajar in her haste. 

Just like tha’, eh? Eirik thought to himself as he stared forward at the decrepit deceased that laid in the bed. The corpse of the cancer-stricken man that had slowly withered away to the tumours within. Idly, he waved a servant to deliver him a glass of water, which he slowly sipped by the bedside. He moved to a chair, and as the rest of his family came and went, he remained seated by the corpse of his father. In truth, he expected something. He expected Ruslan to give a rumble, to awaken suddenly from his state. But day turned to night, and night turned to day, and nothing happened. Yer really dead, an’ it feels like nothin’s changed.

It was true, Eirik did not receive the closure he wanted from his father. The two had grown up much apart, they had rarely spoken to each other, despite Eirik’s persistence to try and make a companion out of his father. That, coupled with other things that had struck his mind when he were younger, had thrust the boy into a seven-year reclusion. It had been a few years since he had recovered from it, and perhaps one might have thought that such a pivotal event in one’s life as the death of a father could thrust one right back into it. The news of his cancer had almost done it to him, but not out of fear of losing his father. It was the possibility of never being able to hear an “Ah’m proud o’ ye, Eirik.” or an “Ah love ye, Eirik.” that he had feared back then. Yet, here he sat, by the side of his father’s corpse, never having heard any of those things from him.

Now, he remembered those seven years much too vividly. Seven years he had promised himself that he would forget about, seven years that he had abandoned long in the past. A mind ablaze and burning with despair and doubt, misery and anxiety. Only just had she managed to give him the determination to pull himself out of the hole, to regain his footing in the world. And yet, now it was as if the floor shattered beneath him.

He rose, and stared down at the limp body. There was no one left in the room, and tears of rage began to fall from his eyes. Furiously, he began to rustle his father’s corpse, begging and screaming for a response, for an affirmation of pride or love, for anything that would confirm that they truly were father and son, for closure.

But nothing happened.

Kaustantin felt a sharp sting in his heart, he had known Ruslan to be a father after his own went off to the outer world after being disowned of his birthright and his mother fleeing their household.

“Ea promised vy ea’ll do good as Palatine.” 

He stared at the statue of the late 11th Lord Speaker, his uncle. Tears rolled down the man’s cheeks yet a stoic expression lingered on his face. The man brought a handkerchief up to wipe those tears off

”Ea promised vy.”

He gripped the Golden Bulava tightly in his hands as he turned around and walked outside the Duma chamber with tearful eyes.

”Ea will niet fail vy.”

Ser Reinhardt Barclay signs himself after hearing of the dukes passing, while he had been at odds with some of his ideals, the knight had respected the man’s tenacity 

Prinzenas Petra Emma, who had diagnosed the Duke with such a disease, signed the Hussariya over her chest in the hopes that he would find his way to the Seven Skies.

Charlotte Baruch was seated at a fireplace when her youngest son walked in. She was taken back by him coming so soon but she quickly lowers her pipe and turns to him. "I won't say what I've been meaning to say about what happened. What I will say is I'm glad you made it here safely my dear son, come and sit with me. Tell me all that happened and do be honest." She holds out her hand for her son to take, effectively welcoming her son back home.

Robert Ludovar drew a heavy sigh, as he knew that he was now the pro tempore Lord Speaker. He never thought the day would come where he needed to preside over the Duma, but he was a dutiful Lord. He would honor the memory of his childhood friend by serving as the presider of the Duma until a worthy successor is chosen by the Crown.

Deep within the keep at Aurveldt, Eleanora Amador sat within the chambers she shared with her husband, embroidering a silken handkerchief for her father, Ruslan Baruch. She pulled the needle to and fro through the fine cloth, humming lightly to herself as she embroidered the Baruch crest within a wreath of chrysanthemums and hydrangea. Eleanora had always had a fondness for flowers, and it was said that chrysanthemums and hydrangea were said to represent fidelity and heartfelt emotion, the perfect sentiment she wanted to relay for the father she so dearly cared for. 

She was startled by a knock on the door, and pricked her finger on the sharp needle, a drop of crimson blood falling to the cloth. With a sigh, she bade whoever disturbed her to enter. She'd have to start the handkerchief again. Looking up, she was greeted with the sight of a somber maid. 

"News from the Duchy of Valwyck, mea lady." The girl handed the missive over and Eleanora offered a gentle smile, tearing the wax seal from the envelope and setting blue eyes upon the page.

A cry echoed from the Viscount's chambers as a daughter collapsed to her knees, clutching the letter to her chest tightly as she wailed her pain to any who could hear her. Despite knowing her father hadn't much time left, contrary to his reassurances otherwise, nothing had prepared her for the despair. Nothing would be the same.

Atop a tower of gray did Otto Baruch gaze outward at the quiet walls of Lichtstadt, reminiscing the rocky past he had with his brother, the horrible past he'd caused. Abruptly did the crazy man shout lengths of uninterpretable words, a plethora of curses and other unholy phrases- whether it was in a fit of anger or mere confusion? He hadn't known.

"Ruslan! My dearest brother! Ye' damned fool wha'd you do this time to wrong the world? Did ye' toss your kid inta' a bucket and send him down the hill? So you chose to kick the bucke' yourself! Tha's what ah' would've done. Mamej and papej would've gotten mad a' me if ah' tossed vy down, vyr the favorite child after all! Ah' think..." A realizing smile cracked that mans face as he placed him down onto his balcony, continuing his observance of his home from afar.

"Mostly my fault ah' suppose, could've been a bit nicer.." The wretched man sighed, "Ah've wrong the world too many times but i' does niet choose to take me away? Ah' wrong vy so many times but... all vy ever wanted to do was go fishin'."

The man rose from his squatted room and headed down to Lake Voron with a boat in tow. There he set sail, offering a final toast to his brother before shouting out into the land he wronged. "We're ou' sailin' papej! Look a' it! We're gonna catch a big whale and bring i' home for vy!"

Hollowed cries of a woman bounced off the hills of Lollybroch, from the windmills to the ivory castle atop another mound.

“Je suis maudit!” The voice bellowed from within, releasing a guttural groan alongside sobs that never seemed to end. 

Those particular words never left Eugénie's mind, in fact, they hadn't for some time, since her father had sought to murder her, since her mother had shamed her, since her first child was born, and the even ones that followed after her.

The sound of a thump echoed throughout the manor's walls.

“J- Je suis m- maudit ...” The veiled woman croaked as she collapsed to the floor, her head bowed as she sat curled into a ball, alone, hurting.

The only thoughts that ensued were, 'What?' and 'Why?' What did she ever do to deserve to be cursed, to have everyone she cherished turn against her or to suffer and die? Why did GOD put her in this horrible loop of death and bereavement, for herself, her children, and her children's children? Was she cursed in the truest sense of the word?

“Libère-moi de cette malédiction, mon dieu.” She would beg for forgiveness, pleading to really any higher power that lent an ear. 

Eugénie hurried out of her home, kneeling in the mud, her gaze cast to the seven skies as her hands swiftly clasped one another, she prayed, prayed for forgiveness for whatever she had done to deserve this, prayed for her family, prayed for Ruslan.

“M- Mon Dieu! Mon Dieu!” The woman wailed for hours, perhaps days on end. 

Praying and waiting for the curse to end.

Marjorie Baruch stands within the cold bedroom where Ruslan had taken his last breath. Her lip quivers as she feels a chill, clutching to her black shawl tighter. For a woman who relished in loneliness always, she had never felt so… alone. A small wail escapes her lips as she stand amidst his and her things, and she swiftly covers her lips with her hand. 

She plucked out the painting they had been given on their wedding day, studying the depiction of Analiesa and Ruslan. She loved him, that was for sure, and she knew he loved her. Deep in her heart though, she knew that his heart barely belonged to her. It was the woman in the portrait who occupied most of it. 

“Be with her, Ruslan. I’ll meet vy there someday.” 

Within the Valwyck keep, a young servant girl sat in her smallish bedroom, a silver mina clasped within her palm tightly, the metal indenting her skin. Never before had she sobbed this way, her breath clutched in her throat, her face full of numerous tears. She had never felt such pain, such hurt. Her mourning was harsh, and her heart was broken.

Ser Viktor "THE BEAST" Baruch wiped a single tear from his cheek, though a smile came to his face as he realized Marj was available. 

Sigmar Baruch would greet his great grandson with open arms, “ not too bad my boy, not too bad. The family legacy ‘as been proudly kept fer one more generation.”

Andrik Jan Baruch would mourn the loss of his cousin, pouring one out for the boyzz 

Edited by Drew2_dude