A Mortal Coil, 1857

Fishy

Helton Helvets always had a complicated relationship with his father. Try as he might to please the old Duke, the heir seemed to fail time and time again. He'd set out to do some scouting for a hunt at the request of the Prince of Providence on the fateful night.

"I'm going for a brief hunt, father. I'll be back tomorrow evening." Helton wasn't even sure if the old man had heard.

When he came home to find his father dead, the now Duke was unsure how to feel.

Circumstances had forced Helton to grow up quickly. Thomas wanted his son to understand the hardships of the world. To understand that nothing in the world was free, nor would it come easy. It was a balance between the harder parenting of Thomas and the more loving parenting of his mother, Leopoldine. When she passed, though, all that remained was the heavier hand of Thomas. He recalls when their relationship seemed to hit the point of no return. Helton confessed to his father who he truly loved. He received a beating. From then on, it was nothing but business between the Duke and his Heir. How to best advance the family. How to best serve Oren. They'd no longer had a personal relationship.

Now Duke Thomas Andrew Helvets of Cathalon was dead, and Helton could not help but feel sadness. He would stay particularly close with his sister, Laurentina, during this time. She was not there when mother was lost. She would not handle this as well as he or the others.

A letter was soon sent to the various imperial offices and peerages:

"On 7th of Tobias' Bounty, Duke Thomas Andrew Helvets passed away peacefully in his sleep. He will be remembered for his hard work as a soldier in his youth, and his expert statesmenship within the House of Lords in his later years. Duke Thomas stood for stability and traditional Orenian values and most importantly loyalty to Crown, Country, and Family. He will be missed. 

A funeral will be held in Cathalon next Saint's day with a traditional Angreni pyre.

Signed,

HRHelvets, Duke of Cathalon"

Edited by DelaneyG

An aged Major sat down in the Rivia study examining the missive placed before him, shedding a tear as he read through. Moments later he set the document aside, locking the door he took a moment to contemplate the situation before him. The Duke was a good man, a just man. After a time of contemplation, the old Viscount called for his squire to ready his steed before moving to depart for Cheval Hall. He rode at haste. 

Theodora marked one more down on her sheet of who she had outlived in the House of Helvets.

Viscount of Darkwood, The Lieutenant Colonel of the Imperial State Army upon receiving the news would send the soldiers delivering it out and gaze at the paperwork on the desk waiting to be done "Seems like some reports will have to wait another time" he would note and speaking to himself once more "Damn it, why does death find the finest men so fast?" he would then proceed exit his office, heading for the nearest horse.

And as Laurentina found herself sitting alone at the breakfast table, worry gripped her heart. She began tiptoeing her way to her sire's chambers. A low rasp escaped her as she knocked ever so gently against the door. 

"Papa?" she whispered, without response.

"Pa, I am coming inside."

And as she moved towards him, ever so gently shaking the aged duke's shoulder, she felt the coldness of his skin. And as the moments flew by, the Helvets felt certain. Oh GOD, why? 

So, she sat there near her father's dead body, her hands placing themselves over her face as she wept until someone found them. 

-x-

A raven-haired woman greeted her husband at the gates to the skies by throwing her arms around him. Tears fell from her eyes, and surely there was a lot they had to catch up on, but for now - the first time in over 15 years, Leopoldine felt peace. Peace, which she so desperately longed for. "You are home now, Thomas," was what she might've uttered before disappearing into that ever so bright light that engulfed them both.

Daphne, so sweet and so young when she was toppled to her death, sobbed as her father entered the seven skies. She tried to be strong alongside her mother, but Daphne was never the strong one. They could once more be a family, even without Henrietta’s presence.

The Prince of Providence took visit to the Duchy of Cathalon just the day prior. The eventful tour of Cheval Hall was filled with true beauty of what the Duke had created with his family. Pleased with the visit, he spoke with Lord Helton before his departure, “I should like to return soon, your invitation is accepted and most thanked for — a hunt within Cathalon.” Soon after the Prince took his leave back to the Imperial Palace in Providence.

When the news had been received the following Saint’s day of the passing of the Duke — the young man’s heart and mind would trouble him. “How foolish was I not to enquire of the Duke’s health, why did I not seek him upon my first visit to his lands.” He moved to pick up the quill placed to his desk as he penned letter towards Duke Helton to offer his condolences and prayers.

As he finished, he whispered to himself, “Another titan of the realm has fallen, may he rest well in the Seven Skies.”

"A stubborn Valah if I've ever known one, but he represented his people well...let him have the skies promised to him...and leave us in peace" Remarked Minuvas privately.