9.0 - LOTC's Next Step

squakhawk

here are my cool map spitballs:

1. one continent 
  2. cloud temple in the sky smaller and entirely one-way; basically only existing to deliver a tutorial to new players and give returning players a context for death
  3. have one crossroads hub (instead of four, which breaks up RP and makes ppl outside your nation impossible to find) in the center of the map, which also serves as the default "Home" soulstone warp.
  4. make the terrain more "passable" the closer you get to spawn, i.e. less internal y-level variation, friendlier looking biomes, less foliage. the further you go out, the more mountainous and inhospitable for building it gets.
    1. if need be you can flatten terrain further out to accommodate nations like Haense and Norland who need a specific biome
  5. create one main road and one main waterway. connect all smaller roads to the main road and connect the waterway from the mountains to the ocean

lore/flavor ideas:

1. set the map on the old continent of Anthos, made unrecognizable by rising sea levels and the ravages of time. players can explore ruins of old LoTC civilizations built by people who played in those ancient civilizations
  2. better yet, have the next map take place inside the Voidal Tear. This world is breathing its last breaths. The last great Aengudaemons and Drakaar(?) are locked in combat to the death. Canonists preach of the apocalypse foretold by the Holy Scrolls. Few descendants are trying to stop the spread of the voidal corruption to no avail. As it begins to consume the entire known world, in a last ditch effort, the survivors travel into the eye of the storm and are themselves consumed, transported into a new and bizarre world seemingly composed of their collective memories
    1. I feel like LoTC has yet to really explore "The Void" as a concept, and it hasn't reckoned with the constant reuse of ideas and the stretching of its canon past the point of being recognizable. It would be fun to incorporate this metanarrative into the game through worldbuilding. Something like the Dreg Heap from Dark Souls 3, a twisted ruin of past civilizations all crumbling into each other, where characters are inexplicably drawn to sift through the ashes in hopes of finding a way to return to the past.
    2. The Voidal Tear is an Annihilation level reality-ending threat that just kinda... Exists, I guess? Would be cool to use it as a plot device to significantly change the canon
    3. as a bonus this could potentially get rid of voidal magic forever
  3. ALTERNATIVELY: have the next map take place in the sunless Inner World ruled for 1000 years by the mori'quessir goddess-emperor. all will prostrate themselves to the will of the Grand Voluptuaria and her army of eunuch slave soldiers ten thousand strong, or be driven to the fringes of a sunless hellworld 

ringroadringroadringroadringroad

3 minutes ago, monkeypoacher said:

here are my cool map spitballs:

1. one continent for the love of god. 
  2. cloud temple in the sky smaller and entirely one-way; basically only existing to deliver a tutorial to new players and give returning players a context for death
  3. have one crossroads hub (instead of four, which breaks up RP and makes ppl outside your nation impossible to find) in the center of the map, which also serves as the default "Home" soulstone warp.
  4. make the terrain more "passable" the closer you get to spawn, i.e. less internal y-level variation, friendlier looking biomes, less foliage. the further you go out, the more mountainous and inhospitable for building it gets.
    1. if need be you can flatten terrain further to accommodate nations like Haense and Norland who need a specific biome
  5. create one main road and one main waterway. connect all smaller roads to the main road and connect the waterway from the mountains to the ocean

6WFemv2.png
So, something like this, but with the home spawn set to right on the intersection and a more centralized waterway?

(this is a shiftnative concept art that wasn’t used)

1 hour ago, SquakHawk said:

What can we expect? What is the mission for next map?

I want to note we won’t be seeing the new map until, at earliest, 2023. We have years of history at our backs. Lord of the Craft is defined by the extremely unique experience of player history defining the server's culture and modern day. Every decision is crafted by a player, and every memorable moment, crafted by a player. We really want to emphasize that for this map. Focusing on player interactions impacting the world and fostering memorable moments, as well as a further improving culture around conflict and roleplay; we want to create an experience that harkens back to maps of old. Our roots and our traditions make Lord of the Craft what it is. Innovation and new ideas are great, but without player freedom to Roleplay and shape the narrative, they are doomed to fail.

[...] Staff right now is in an extremely strong and capable spot; working all together, we can make the next map one which we can confidently state that we are proud of. Before, during, and after its launch.

Please, make it a point to develop this new world under the assumption you won't get to have a 10.0. You've said it yourself: Lord of the Craft has over a decade of history behind it. However, due to this seemingly endless cycle of wiping previous worlds and starting over with a "newer and improved" one, none of this rich history can be experienced by newcomers lest they wander around as spectators in the old world exhibits or spend an evening browsing the wiki - which itself is lacking a great number of events.

I know I'm not alone in stating I would give anything to be able to have my character inhabit a world where you can witness the work of past generations slowly but surely become the very foundation of future nations and civilizations. Forget about exploring pre-planned dungeons and ruins we, as players, hold no attachment to and quite frankly have little reason to care about in-character. I want to delve into archeological dig sites unearthing someone's long-forgotten mud hut and speculate as to what its purpose once was, who built it and what events transpired there. What purpose does it serve to shape the narrative, if the only mark that will outlive us is the hope someone will get around to recording it on the wiki, or that those we leave behind are able to remember and care to pass it on?

So, please, make it a core aspect of your vision to honor every memorable moment, crafted by the player, by bringing an end to this world-reset crutch past generations of staff grew all too comfortable with, forgetting the reasons why it ever even began in the first place.

On a side note: if you want to emphasize what is crafted by the player, do make it a point to bring back the ability for us to build on-site instead of copying everything over from a build server. Excluding the stuff that is to be present on release, make it a point to allow for us to build the towns and cities we and future generations of players are to have their characters inhabit. Allow us to make it our own not just during its development, but throughout its lifespan.

Edited by Arafel
Formatting~

5 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

6WFemv2.png
So, something like this, but with the home spawn set to right on the intersection and a more centralized waterway?

(this is a shiftnative concept art that wasn’t used)

yeah this is a fun design. also: Ruins! 

Athera sized map is required for roadside rp and taverns. Thank you. Give me upvotes.

Cool biomes is a must but BLEASE let us know what real world regions (if applicable) each map biome is based on or analogous to so ppl stop powergaming the climate and I can do my epic ecologically influenced rp please this is the one thing I will suggest

Edit: I lied I suggest a second thing : fantasy biomes pls give us magic creature food Web so I can force ppl who live there to rp ecological collapse when they kill all the creatures (if they don't it's powergaming)

Edited by salamanderfantasy

don't make 1/3 of the map uninhabitable. please. thank you. no "second landmass" either. bless.

Please - for the love God - do not make CT a seperate “hub” feeling area. CT was MUCH better as an actual “center” for the maps in the past: a neutral ground where people could meet and RP  which then lead (VIA ROADS) out to each area of the map. 

also please stop the “A” name trend - just feels like y’all are looking at “list of fantasy continent names” and never bothered looking past the A section. 

Just some quick images I found but stuff like this would add life into a stale and dry map
7p82r3poew161.jpg?width=1920&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=8c7870c341cb795feebcae29c97e474bba1b958e
ciiku1gpikh71.png?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=c971bf541fbbb0ed78d30a016621ece4be4f4fac
blondskunk on Instagram: “Small little creek flowing threw a custom forest  I built in survival. … | Minecraft architecture, Minecraft houses, Cute  minecraft housesMinecraft player spends a year revamping terrain generation, results look  beautiful | PC Gamer15536519_m.jpg340199589.jpg

Honestly is it just me or wouldn't it be cool if we revisited a old map with polished builds and landscapes but with the lore and stuff of the old map. Just a thought

Make sure you guys do a proper desert this time, not all this patchy grass and sand such, on the outskirts ofc mix it but come one, give us a desert.

Also, gimi big sea please

Can we get only mountains and give the dwarves jumpboost 2 to scale Them, please and thank you