EVENTS & TIPS I

beetle

THREE EVENTS & TIPS 

YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR COMMUNITY

A QUICK GUIDE ON HOW TO SPICE UP YOUR EVENTS

A3JOOwI8m3SdSBLFkBSCDRYo8MvfWS4nHN-PW3TfY84p9tpxxRZIs6Gl72Nvdb_10V6eoIh5oQUezV1us5wRvlNWlsrjOwjDHTu92KwwNwNygcVLLG1jyk6ABfnV3-RdtiRNq_J3YpPK8VFb-qdSzNo

♪♫♪

divider_default.png

INTRODUCTION

Hello friends,

This post is here to help give you some ideas of possible simple yet fun events to create roleplay for your community. I wrote three events with examples, hoping it inspires someone to pursue event hosting or even encourages players to go to the next event. This is part one of many guides to come, enjoy!

divider_default.png

EVENT NUMBER ONE - TAVERN NIGHTS

What’s a settlement/nation without a tavern? It’s the prime key to generating roleplay and keeping things pleasant. Or unpleasant if you watch a six hour crp fight go down in the middle of the night…

QUESTIONS TO ASK FIRST

Before we get into hosting tavern nights, we must discuss the interior/layout of the tavern

• Is the layout good for roleplay? 
  • Is the menu visible?
  • Is there art? 
  • Is there another area for bigger events?
  • Is there a fight pit?
  • Is there a small store so people can buy drinks?
  • Does it flow naturally? 
  • Do quiet emotes overlap?
  • Are there different options for seating?

These are important questions to ask when creating a tavern. Why? Because every detail will matter and create roleplay scenarios and opportunities. People will notice and praise the hard work you put into it. 

BRAINSTORMING IDEAS

Now, the big question - what is a tavern night?

It can be anything from a drinking game, or crp/pvp fights in the pit, or free drinks night. Mina or item prizes are a big bonus, who doesn’t want free mina or items? You need to create an event where it’ll engage players constantly, keep them entertained even if they leave mid event.

NWbkOx9lyKu3xOku61BUjz_sfqvqYxB2Bw1vWXaf53yjgn00A_suUTyjVOuMrzbkLbmY6rwKXcAcwg2tZ51HKt4ULqkviI4ZR80UIEnSkdAZbi0RYjLHuD5ObASOZQLgLHX5F61Rd76pVNpAq6SC1qg

EVENT NUMBER TWO - FESTIVALS

A simple but yet a lighthearted event, creating tons of opportunity for roleplay. It can range from a snow festival to a fish one. Be as random as you can be with it, the more strange the better!

QUESTIONS TO ASK FIRST

Jumping onto the boat of festivals - we need to figure out a theme, ideas, etc

• If you have a theme, has it been done before?
    • If yes, how could you make it different? 
    • If not, how could you make it super unique?
  • Are there decorations matching the theme?
  • What games will be hosted? CRP/PVP?
  • Will there be small shops? Tents? Stalls?
  • Is it an open area?
    • If so, is there enough space where rp can flow well?
    • If not, how can you make enough space for attendees and shops/etc?

Hosting festivals can be a bit harder to host since you’ll need more people and help, more numbers the better. Don’t do this festival alone, it will be stressful. Trust me. However, the questions above can help you figure out how to sort it out.

BRAINSTORMING IDEAS

This is an opportunity to be as random as you can be (I’m not kidding). The funniest, strangest, wildest theme attracts more people. The reason for it is because people want to see something different - be different!

For the games and stalls, reach out to people. 
Even from other nations (allied or not). It makes people feel included and appreciated, making them want to do more in the future.

Two of my favorite festivals were the 100th year anniversary of Haense and one in Celia’nor.

I got to be a part of it for both, selling items on my Kortrevich Countess. 
The reason why these two festivals stood out to me the most was because I got asked to be a part of it and was able to host some games -
enjoying my time there!

Spoiler

EXAMPLES

Post and Event run by Me + Friends

ZYUb94etl8_G-q20AoHG7DabWOjgTO1UTLF6Ar47jFJO6lUWDn9QDhLC3x6rxYPK2PyuWSQ5VLuJZpzGLh-khDEShdbuSfhenf_c6EQG5maasqdnl4cFZstE2zw4BOMucFQyTZKVtbk8Na3K8S_ZBtA

Celian'or Festival - Kortrevich Tent 

zWsDohreHyRYHDKK7WLP36K2iiTtiy96zGN45s4YX87ldsSdtPT9W1RMV7frWsDbrSHtqHXGYzSRCeT8hrn3nlzgaH0sPjrrHnmbSqdCFcQ0lLBGR9QszIugh9GCSwQWw1cy1mI67oPQmz5Wg9NIM9s

Haense 100th Year Festival 

NWbkOx9lyKu3xOku61BUjz_sfqvqYxB2Bw1vWXaf53yjgn00A_suUTyjVOuMrzbkLbmY6rwKXcAcwg2tZ51HKt4ULqkviI4ZR80UIEnSkdAZbi0RYjLHuD5ObASOZQLgLHX5F61Rd76pVNpAq6SC1qg

EVENT NUMBER THREE - BALLS

Another simple but yet a lighthearted event. It’s something everyone looks forward to, it’s an easy way to get to know more people within the community. If you’re a new player, I highly recommend going to one of these.

QUESTIONS TO ASK FIRST

The questions are going to be similar to the ones from the festival section, with a bit of a twist.

• If you have a theme, has it been done before?
    • If yes, how could you make it different? 
    • If not, how could you make it super unique?
  • Are there decorations matching the theme?
  • Is there a dress code?
  • Is there a big open area for dancing to be allowed?
  • Will there be players emoting music being played?
  • How about food and drink items? Will that also be given out?
  • Is there any special effects someone can do?

Just like festivals, they are a bit difficult to host due to how big the event can be.
Do ask for help, get a group of players to assist.

BRAINSTORMING IDEAS

My favorite thing about hosting balls is going out of the ordinary to do them.
One of them was a part of a three day festival, another one was to celebrate the stars, and the other was for the social season.

Don’t limit yourself to a basic theme, go further than that. Add activities to it, emote music and people serving drinks, give out party favors. Dress code is a big hit, allowing players to get creative with their skins and accessories. 
The small things like that make players feel more welcomed and comfortable.

Spoiler

EXAMPLES

Post and Events run by Me + Friends

9HTweuhTjMvlJfetDuEs8NvvDYvpXNHu4f1ga_S-h5aivgFkunYjVRgkkFKkcg3Y_X2uLGELTsiOEH3opG7UiwgaI9LrgD57p8O2QchRQAK59BgKiJUw-YInUch4k3RoLl0IISTmYAFbTXqEJy-w_sk

An Item for one of the Balls

TIPS AND RESOURCES

Here’s some links that could be helpful for your event

If you need materials or other resources, here’s a guide to nodes

By WestCarolina

Almaris Resource Node Allocation

If you need special fonts and characters, here’s some sites

(note not all of them will work, you gotta figure which one works)

Special Fonts

Symbols

Use signs to enhance the event and roleplay

By E__V__O

RP Signs Guide

For organization, I highly recommend making another Google Account or 
using
Google Drive to keep everything in a folder.
Make a
Google Doc for items, emotes, signs up, etc - it will help you in the long run!

CLOSING THOUGHTS

In the end, don’t feel limited. Be creative, go crazy with your event.
If you have any questions or want to help out with the next post, please send me a message on the

forums or on discord (dove#8701)!

So happy to see this finally up!

I remember one time I went to an event at [unnamed city] except the ppl who hosted it did nothing to encourage further RP or engage people with the event and after about 40 minutes of literally nothing happening I realized it was just a quick activity grab

Three event ideas yet not a single one efficient at moving a storyline forwards or generating good character development.

You don’t have to write a guide on how to grind activity we already know that.

I’d love to see this server move away from event spam but that’d take a lot of change.

14 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

Three event ideas yet not a single one efficient at moving a storyline forwards or generating good character development.

I’d love to see this server move away from event spam but that’d take a lot of change.

they're just cute & simple events (as stated at the beginning of the post) why are you hating lol

this is a good post

i like this post

I love this post!! This is very well-written :) you did a wonderful job, Delta

1 hour ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

These events, at least to my understanding, are meant to generate passive, lighthearted roleplay on the server as opposed to those intense storylines that spur a lot of character development. I don't think it's fair to dub it as 'activity-grinding' when the sole purpose is to congregate community members for a chill, fun experience. It may not be your cup of tea, but it sure is for a lot of people on this server, and that's perfectly okay!

1 hour ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

I'd say that depending on intention, this post does provide fine ideas to generate slice-of-life RP and connect characters who may not otherwise have reason to be in a space together, thus creating the potential for players to find new openings in their characters' stories. 

Providing a reason for characters to gather in a communal space at a particular time isn't inherently bad, and I would argue that when these events are done with the intent to connect and encourage RP, rather than just activity grind, they at the very least don't hurt anyone.

Also, this was not a particularly kind way to provide constructive critique, if that was your objective. 

43 minutes ago, critter said:

I'd say that depending on intention, this post does provide fine ideas to generate slice-of-life RP and connect characters who may not otherwise have reason to be in a space together, thus creating the potential for players to find new openings in their characters' stories. 

Providing a reason for characters to gather in a communal space at a particular time isn't inherently bad, and I would argue that when these events are done with the intent to connect and encourage RP, rather than just activity grind, they at the very least don't hurt anyone.

Also, this was not a particularly kind way to provide constructive critique, if that was your objective. 

I am sorry. I will request a ban for toxicity I should be gone for several months.

20 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

I am sorry. I will request a ban for toxicity I should be gone for several months.

94f4b62d0c1a4c43a70a3a6dc236159b.jpg.e303384245ff6baa044a8df0dd501ed2.jpg

Ah- one of the oldest divisions in this game come to life in the comments. I personally disdain slice-of-life roleplay, I never was a fan of Sims-esque genres, but I respect that everyone else has their own particular interests when playing a roleplaying game. In general, this is a very well-written guide for those who do prefer the more Sims-like experience and thank you especially for the font generators you've linked.

The codemonkey in me would also like to share that many of the UTF-8 symbols and marks can also be used in Minecraft signs and books! Here is a reference guide for said symbols: https://www.w3schools.com/charsets/ref_utf_symbols.asp

On 2/21/2023 at 5:07 PM, envy said:

they're just cute & simple events (as stated at the beginning of the post) why are you hating lol

these are some of the least inspired events imaginable. they are the minecraft equivalent of search engine optimization. people hate them because they are not fun or interesting yet make up 90% of what is going on in any given settlement, and the people who host them are frequently pushy and condescending and call themselves "community leaders" for doing the bare minimum spamming the same 3 parties over and over. hope this helps! xoxo