The Folly of a Princess

Phersades

Aleksandr Otto found trouble keeping his composure…

[R]

Lorena trudged through the forests of the Upper Petra, faded leather boots picking up more stubborn mud with each step. She was vigilant, her eyes darting about the open forest with each harmless drop of rain that pattered against the trees. It was as if she expected the Brotherhood - with her once-father at their head - to ride up and whisk her away back to Karosgrad, back to that gilded cage she had always so resented, any moment, though they never came. Lorena heard at last the signature cawing of a lone crow approaching at her back, along with the desperate beating of wings against the rain. She lowered herself to the ground, watching as the bird landed in its nest. It offered up a meal of earthworms - freshly uncovered by the falling rain - to its pack of greedy children. Lorena cowered, for she too had heard the tales of crows and their powers of portent, and she had believed them, once. Crows were masters of death, meant to be revered, but in spite of this she slowly made her way toward the tree and the nest within it. There was a sickening crack underfoot which sent Lorena stumbling backward. What she saw made her wretch: a baby crow struggling for life, calling out desperately to its mother in its final death throes. The mother never came for it, though, and it died only moments later. Lorena's eyes hardened then, and she called out heedlessly to the nest above. "This is how you treat your own!?" She bellowed, her voice hoarse with the memories of too many tears to count. With her call, the mother crow went flying off, and the girl below knocked an arrow. She steadied her breathing, pure hatred on her face, and loosed the arrow on the fleeing thing. She watched it tumble lifelessly to the ground, and Lorena thought that maybe this was justice for the abandoned chick, dead just moments before.

Spoiler

"You must forgive yourself, Amaya."

It was the words of the Grand Prince that rang clear in the Lady Colborn's mind as she retreated to the comfort of the Prikaz that wintry eve. An Adrian who made an attempt on her life would now suffer the same fate as so many of her kin did, bound to his own inevitable fate at the hands of the Haeseni guards who sought to protect her.

Yet, she was unsatisfied. She did not crave bloodshed - she did not seek vengeance, despite the anger that stirred in the very depths of her heart.

She wanted to forgive.

She wanted to forgive the Adrian man who made an attempt on her life. She wanted to forgive Lorena. She wanted to forgive Mariya, to ease the ache that so greatly ailed her being, to escape the anger that twisted her ideals, her morals.

"Am I weak?"

Rounding the corner, her feet trudged across the silken carpets that lined the floor. It was then that she came to a sudden standstill in front of a grand set of stairs, tall and imposing. They loomed over her much like the fearsome subject of war hung in the air, thickening it with tension. 

Amaya stood and she thought - she ruminated on the events that had transpired; Desolation rattled her bones and the vicious, gnawing sting of betrayal would not leave the forefront of her mind. She wanted to forgive, but she could not. Not herself, nor the enemy.

And so she ascended the stairs, leaving behind who she once was at the behest of this war.

As the soft waves of the Kahaen Sea break against the study, fresh-cut beams of the new docks near Acre, Johanes and his aunt, Wilhelmina, (@Fie) sit atop their steeds and speak freely. Although she was only a month older than he, she was one of the few woman who he could tell his mind to. Perhaps it was the label of 'aunt' that made her wiser beyond her years, or just a product of her nature. Whatever the case, she was one of the few true confidants that the young duke could reasonably trust. He aimlessly rides about in circles, the rush of the scenery, from the soft, blue waters of the sea to the crisp, lush greens of the Acrean Forest, as vivid and unclear as the thoughts that swirled about in his head. That was always the case, though. It was difficult to pick one from the rest.

"...And what good is a loving devotion to my friends and family? Duty could be enough to drive me. It would at least ensure that, should some tragedy befall them, I am not left in ruin. I do not want to be the man who threw away his people's future over his personal whims."

Although his fury and madness quite frequently surfaced, vulnerability was something typically well-kept for the Duke of Adria. Now, though, as he waited to hear word of Princess Maryia's dinner with her father, his stomach turned. His nerves and fears, which he had thought were lost at Rolly's Field, began to sting him again. He had won his friend's hand in marriage on the back of words such as sensibility and pragmatism. It was all that he ought to have practiced. To blend the realm of personal and political, or to even practice the former, was to allow weakness to surface. Now, for the first time since he lay a butchered steer on the field of battle, he felt powerless, at the mercy of the turning of Fate. 

His aunt gave him a kindly look, one far beyond her years.

"You cannot be a stiff mannequin, Johanes. You must be a man. A man does not abandon his humanity to pretend to turn towards his duty alone. That is weakness. That is fear. Fear of losing those who you hold dear is not something you can stifle or remove. You must embrace it and let it move you. Young Lorena's father put his duty above her own life. His soul shall be tainted by his willingness to take his own daughter's life. If I can do nothing else, I will ensure that you do not make such a choice."

They spoke for longer about a great many things. Of life, of dreams, of the quality of the soil and the unsettling absence of bugs near some of the rotting tree stumps, but as they rode back to Adria, the Duke of Adria found himself reflecting on the words his aunt had told him. He was forgetting himself. Forgetting a great many things. He did not forget, though, that to be a man was not to turn from that which gave his life joy, but to run to it. He worried for Mariya's life, but he trusted that she would be safe in Sheffield, and her father would see reason in allowing her to come to Adria. It would be then that he would tell Mariya that he would profess himself to the cause of peace and seek only to build a good life for Adria, for his friends and family, and for the two of them.

Mere days later, these hopes played in his mind as broken memories while he drove his dagger into the neck of a grinning Haeseni knight. Tears for the captured Mariya stained his cheeks.

A blind Vilac sat idlily on the edge of a particular dock, a bottle of alcohol in hand. He stirred the contents of the bottle before taking a large gulp, "I'm sorry..."  he muttered to himself. He poured the rest of the alcohol into the ocean and promptly tossed the bottle, "That one's on me.The man went on to practically talk to himself. He spoke to the ocean, the seagulls, or even to GOD himself. Wilhelm had given up. He wasn't even sure who he was talking to. All he wanted was for someone to listen. He figured at least the seas would.

"In times like this, we must not show weakness to the enemy, for they will never stop at nothing to take our happiness away. For our great Duke, I shall take the bones of my enemies from their corpses, as they have taken Mariya from our Duke. This is no longer a war for land or kings. This is a war for Morality. If we shall become the public enemy for taking revenge and fighting for what we believe in, then may the entire world come at us, for we shall not stop fighting until we have done unto them, what they have done unto us." Renata would write, upon a letter. He would nail it to the wall of the Adrian barracks, for any Greycloak to see.

Wilhelmina was soon overtaken by another wave of sickness and unable to try and change a thing about the situation. The young van Aert shed a tear for her nephew and his intended,  hoping that neither of them suffered too much.

Silence.

That was all that filled the Inquisitor's ears now as he sat in some dark corner of the Adrian chapel. Blood still drenched his gloves, dripping from the thumbs that he had jammed into the eye sockets of some Haenser. It was a brief solace, the sound of those pathetic screams of that man as Alikos knelt over him, the cracking of bones beneath each furious strike, the squelching of those blue eyes, turned red and bloodied.

His one regret of that murder, no, that execution was that he was pulled back before the bottle of Alchemist's Flame in his grasp was able to be poured down the Northman's throat. The hiss of the Adunian's emerald blade as it manifested above the Haeseni's neck, the thud of his head hitting the bloodied wooden stage...

All of it was now quiet. Completely, and utterly silent. Eventually though, as it must always be, that silence was broken.

"I am sorry, little one," rasped he, his voice ringing dully from beneath his helmet. That steel façade, that metal wall, blocking himself from the world. He did not think he would ever take it off again. "I have failed you... I will not allow this to happen again." 

His voice now hardened. Turned resolute. He knew now what he must do. And so he stood, gaze falling upon the crucifix nailed to the opposing wall. From beneath his visor, a grimace formed upon his lips. Without another thought, he strode out from the chapel, the door slamming shut behind him.

Anatoily Godunov walked the streets of karosgrad days after his oldest and longtime friends death constantly stepping into her old shop that looked put to the city square as thoughts ran through his head of thier time together "They say ea did the right thing, but all ea did was kill mea friend..." As he mumbled those words to himself he remembered what the Orc Rex told him a few years previously that mariya only had 3 years left to live.... and it had been three years. The Godunov would look up to the sky then "Forgive eam Riya, all ea wanted was for vy to stay in haense with eam...my intentions were to protect vy...niet kill vy" Anatoliys hands had blood on them, even though not physically in his heart the guilt and pain

Soprano Romano walked down the streets of Velec, heart heavy after witnessing death at the hands of his angered countrymen. He looked up to the sky, praying to God whilst whispering a short phrase. “Blood must have blood.”