A Decade as an LOTCer [AMA]

Proddy

I'm incredibly late to the punch on this, but...

J4u--uvNlplO1iot42kreW1sxnozb4EUBxq77aRMTC4P55wKkmAj0gqxrehJ4XmMBr000d66bzPz99zp-AD37ON1y0G_yScYXl7Iw3tHejgvpepEq73LRb9-mjktPYYQrgwEjX1nyiqDztDHHO2iRg

I've been here for just over a decade now (on and off). I've been a part of many groups, seen the rise and fall of many different nations and players, witnessed how the server has changed completely over time and have a metaphorical bucket full of memories and experiences. Ask me anything, LOTC related or otherwise.

I did attempt to do one of these a few years ago but sidetracked and stopped responding midway through, so I'll try and stay consistent with this one.

Favorite map?

Most successful / most fun group you’ve been part of?

do you hold any regrets for a character you may have player in a wrong way or just generally not to the best of your abilities? favorite group you've ever been part of? favorite group right now?

How many jakers interlinked does it take to change a skull knightling proddiner 

What do you believe to be the most useful skill you’ve learned through LotC that you actively use in your life?

When will you be free?

Skull knightlings jaking interlinked. Proddinosaurus interlinked. 

What has been your most enjoyable moment in roleplay?

What was your favorite community tjat you’ve been a part of on LOTC?

1 hour ago, Luxury said:

Favorite map?

Most successful / most fun group you’ve been part of?

I'm really enjoying the disparity of biomes, the size and the lore of Aevos so far, but if I had to honestly choose one it'd be Anthos. I probably have rose tinted glasses from that time because it was my first map, but as a new player exploring it, everything felt so much larger than life. The layout of the map, the size, the terrain and how everything was placed to me just felt perfect. I recall Anthos had no warp system for quite a while either so you were forced to explore everything on foot to get from point A to B (no horses in mineman either at this time) and that only added to the experience. The architecture of the builds and cities were incredibly shoddy since it was SMP 2012 style building before messy medieval have overtaken everything, but that honestly adds to the nostalgia looking back and places like Salvus and Kralta (the first real messy medieval build on LOTC where the entire format took off) were ahead of their time. The Setherien events and battling the threat up north was a fun time too, albeit I wasn't heavily involved in all that.

If I definitely had to pick one group that I definitely had the most fun in, it'd be Hexers. Despite the weird flack we get from a lot of communities these days, it was my first real excursion from the noble political human RP I'd been doing for years up until that point. A small independent guild of monster hunters with themes of stoicist and nihilist philosophy interwoven into the mantras and worldviews of our characters. It was pure witcherboo fantasy LARP at times but it was super fun - the intentionally small size of the group made everyones collective arcs feel very interpersonal between eachother which isn't really something I'd experienced before in nations where the narrative focus is moreso upon the state of your characters country and what they can do for it as opposed to the personal arc of your persona. We also had dedicated ST who'd run event chains for us, and our keep build (Dun an Ein) was just awesome and my biggest regret from that time is that more people didn't get to see and interact with it because of how far away from everything it was. I've also made solid OOC friendships from that group that go far beyond LOTC and I hope will stand for the years to come.

1 hour ago, Optimus420 said:

Most memorable character or moment that you can remember? :0

All the major characters I've played on here I've enjoyed for individual reasons. But I'd have to pick an even split between two - Arthur of Caermad who was my Hexer that I PKed a long while back. His arc from start to finish was perfect and nothing that he was involved with felt out of place. Even his unexpected death getting crushed to death in a gladiator arena for the chance to win some flashy magic sword felt very true to his character and like trouble he was bound to get himself into it at some point. The second would be Servitos, automaton cultist of the Machine God who I'm still playing. I think I've just managed to construct a really good Lawful Evil character with him, and the reception I've got from people who've interacted with him and enjoyed it defo makes me feel like I'm doing something correctly with his character.

Moments are a much harder one, because I've been involved in so many things on LoTC that it's hard to really pinpoint one favourite thing. A lot of the old Hexer events were insanely memorable since we had such a large part in them; stuff like the collapse of Kivdrona back in Almaris, and before that all the covert operations we did as a group like smuggiling drugs into the city in some horrendous plot against a faction in the city we were in a clandestine war with. Outside of that, doing the investigation RP on and then capturing a Frost Witch that was posing as a nun whilst I lead the Holy Inquisition was a really cool one. It ended in a pyre burning, and it was probably the only interaction of this sort where it didn't end in arguments or claims of metagaming from either side. Me and the Frost Witch in question were in VC the entire time it happened in fact, and there were no hard feelings after the matter. To this day actually we remain very good friends and sometimes laugh and joke about it all.

1 hour ago, Jihnyny said:

thoughts on Griffith?

Deeply complex character when you consider his motives for what he did and what led up to it. Think he's a great foil to Guts throughout the whole story. Evil af though and I hope he gets what's coming to him in the end, though knowing Berserk and the tale it's trying to tell I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't entirely.

1 hour ago, SilvertheGM said:

How does it feel to be an automata icon

I wouldn't say that I'm an "icon" at all nor do I want myself to be. I definitely just play the character of Servitos as I think fits though and it attracts a lot of support. I also want to expand the mould of automatons on the server and give them more stakes that go beyond just serving whatever character created them, which is what I try to do with Servitos with the angle of the religion. It's definitely hard since the existence of the main component that lead to the existence of automatons and tinkering feats, Garumdir, remains a mystery in the lore, but I make it work through other means.

1 hour ago, X3N0 said:

who is ur favorite warhammer character 

If we're talking the fantasy version, definitely Malekith the Witch King. Don't support the weird implications of his incest between him and his mother, but there's something very cool about a character that's basically just an Elven Darth Vader. Not the biggest fan of what (or what little really) they've done with him in Age of Sigmar though.

In terms of 40k, Roboute Guilliman is pretty awesome. He's basically the example of what'd happen when you put a lawful good fantasy paladin into the absolute hellhole and misery that is the 40k universe. And I think the irony that he wanted to make the galaxy better by forming the Ultramarines but that they've basically just become like every other chapter that commits warcrimes on the daily is incredibly tragic.

1 hour ago, marikandaperc said:

do you hold any regrets for a character you may have player in a wrong way or just generally not to the best of your abilities? favorite group you've ever been part of? favorite group right now?

I definitely hold a lot of regret from Robert Foltest Helvets, who I played back in 2021. He was an Orenian Baron that got executed for treason after conspiring to support the Sedanite Rebellion during Hunwalds reign, and whilst I got a really cool arc for the character afterwards when he was revived as a Striga, the OOC of why I chose to rebel and what happened during his capture was a mess that was entirely of my making. I committed a lot of instances of metarallying and stalling RP to try and have him escape, and I look back on that whole instance now with a lot of shame and regret. Mainly because it's not reflective of my values and how I look at the server today, and if I could go back with that hindsight I would've approached it much differently, in a way where the spirit of fair roleplay is upheld. Lots of people involved in that still hold a negative opinion of me, and I don't really blame them for it.

Answered the second one already, go see my response to Luxury's post.

Right now I'm not really a part of any major groups. We've rebooted Hexers in Petra after a long period of inactivity, although we're not as active due to timezone disparity and other commitments. All of my others are currently for the most part entirely independent of any groups or entities on the server, so I can't say I have a favourite group in this current moment.

1 hour ago, SpaceOddity said:

How many jakers interlinked does it take to change a skull knightling proddiner 

20 haense knights in a mecha, interlinked.

1 hour ago, MCVDK said:

What do you believe to be the most useful skill you’ve learned through LotC that you actively use in your life?

By far LOTC is what shaped me as a writer, and inspired my interest in it. I think the server is one of the only reasons I passed my English exams back in school actually so I have that to be thankful for lmao. But the knowledge I've accumulated from writing (and watching other people write) on LOTC is what's inspired me to study writing full time at a university level with the intent to try and get some job involving it when I leave. I do attribute this a fair bit to LotC, although when I was young I was a voracious reader so it honestly might have gone either way with or without me discovering this server.

58 minutes ago, Mordhaund said:

Why Looe of all places?

Sus fed question, no comment.

55 minutes ago, oryP said:

When will you be free?

One day I hope. Being on LOTC for this long basically feels like a faustian contract that's impossible to break. Even if I do leave I'll still have ties to friends on here which might pull me back in. A massive reason I'm still here is because of those friends, to be honest.

45 minutes ago, Benleft said:

Skull knightlings jaking interlinked. Proddinosaurus interlinked. 

What has been your most enjoyable moment in roleplay?

What was your favorite community tjat you’ve been a part of on LOTC?

Do you still feel like a part of you is missing? Haense knights in a mecha interlinked.

Already answered both of these questions homie, sorry : ( 

33 minutes ago, satinkira said:

Asides from Warhammer 40k, do you have any main sources of inspiration for your style of RP?

All of my influences are very generic for what's popular on the server tbh. Stuff like the Soulsborne Games, Berserk, the Witcher, Dune. I'm a massive fan of grimdark settings so that's my natural attraction. In terms of worldbuilding I'm a big fan of stuff like Star Wars and A Song of Ice and Fire, where the vastness and huge scale of the world makes the possibility that so many stories that are beyond the scope of the main plot can be told fluidly and still feel like they're a rightful segment of that universe.