Just a Fable

_mady07

Just a fable 

Spoiler

Credits to @CasChaosfor finding this!

Please do not metagame any information leading to the death of fable.

Fable's final memories. 

The day had been cold, however it held a bright light, the sun's rays hitting upon Haense with a promise of what would seem a joyous day.

Today would be the last good day Fable would see. She knew it too. The voices of her past whispers of her former names and old stories sang to her. 

Today, Fable dreamed she would die.

She knew exactly how and who she would see as she took her last breath. Oh how she wished that she might die of a heart attack before the time. That she might just not even wake at all.. however too long had time gone on. 

It had found her. 

She heard the noise of its clattering maw filled with teeth in jagged rows. There was no escaping it anymore.

"Fable"

Sang the creature. Its voice was short and cut off as the creature sat directly in the kitchen Fable was bestowed once she had been made Mistress of the Pantry. 

"Fable.. I told you.."

The creature's voice was small, latching to the elderly woman's mind, it was certain to the beloved grandmother. There was no more running.

"Fable.. it's time to go home.." 

Whispers tore through the room. Fable looked petrified, she was certainly caught off guard by this unexpected visitor. The journey to her past home would be far too much for her weak body.. they both knew that..

"Liar.. Liar Liar Liar.."

Called the monster, a single leg folded over the other, the creature looked to be assuming a more mundane form. Fable would always be able to tell it wasn't real.. the monster's eyes were far too large and its nose too small. The small things Fable always caught and made her skin crawl. 

"Must you remain.. So quiet Nona?" 

Asked the monster its maw hinged into a grotesque smile its clawed hand reached out scraping across the elders face leaving behind a tear in Fables quite thin skin. The elder hadn't uttered a single word. Death would come far too soon yet it had taken much too long.. 

Just like that, the old woman walked out alongside a human with short brown hair and eyes pooled in sapphires. . The daylight streaked onto the streets. It was still early. As the elder was taken from the city her mind rambled with thoughts of what if and who could.. however she hoped that she might make it to sunset at least. It was quite beautiful when the sky faded. 

The aftermath. 

A day hour had passed then another.. then one more, it wasn't until the fourth hour that a quite petrified ward of the late Firress would come across a horrid stench. Deciding to investigate the chef would discover a body, an elderly woman with her face leaned against the counter tops within the Royal Kitchen. Flour and soot stained her clothes and withering hair. The once warm and deep gaze of the elder had become hollow, decomposition had set in leaving little to look over. A little cane leaned just next to the corpse. A ragged cane, with a single metal thumbtack attached to the stick. 

A distinct noise of 'Click Clack'  no longer sounded in the palace halls. Or the kitchen floors. Soot stained aprons still hung in their proper places, birds chirped and the sun continued to beam. Scraps of papers and written letters scattered the desk in Fable's shared room. Some unfinished others seemed  as though they should have been sent out that very day. 

For the flaxen haired woman with a very loud and informal tone lived on within the beams of light and unfinished letters. A mere memory of the past. 

Of the letters found a stack was neatly placed in a tuck away used by servants to hide letters and valuables. The stack was wrapped in a thin cord of leather with names attached to each of the missives. It was apparent these letters were in anticipation of the Mistress’ demise.

"If you are reading this missive, then I am dead. 

I am sorry that it must be this way I address the matter, however I am old and writing this missive in the understanding that I am most certainly not making it past my hundred and thirtieth. If I have made it so long I will be quite depressed and there will be no reason for this lovely death note. Let's get on with it, yes?

Dear my children, my lovely grandchildren and great grandchildren, why the pleasure it has been to survive among you all. I've spent my last few years in a decaying pain. Visits with each of you have been troublesome as I worry I'd make you sick as well. I wish to leave letters to the dear children who have been closest to me. This doesn't make each of my other grandchildren less loved. My heart as the grandmother of haense is bigger than one might imagine."

[In order of the times Fable has met each person.]

Spoiler

@crazedpudding

Dear, Josie

My bright young child, you were the first gaze I got the pleasure of seeing back in Karosgrad. You have always been a wonderful Duchess and beautiful figure of youth and frugality. Keeping the nation in check as you have guided and directed the people around you. My dear you will do so well do not let yourself fall early. Pride yourself on your confidence and knowing your children are the future. You hold yourself so high my girl. You are supposed to let go once in a while. You have the flexibility now look at you! I am well over a-hundred-and-something and I am.. well.. I was still kicking!

Just try not to let them get to you as much my dear. You are a wonderful figure of adoration in the eyes of those around you. Do not let yourself forget your worth. 

@Exolaltyl0305

Karyna, my child!

What a woman you've become. How wonderful it is my girl, I truly love watching you grow. I remember a time when you were young and grabbed my hand telling me everything you knew of this glorious nation. Truly you have so much room to grow and time to find yourself. Chin up and remember Nona will always keep you dear. There is a wide variety of life and love. You can flourish and pass the knowledge of life to your own kin. Your culture and heritage hold it dear, keep your eyes on the future and remember that there is a beautiful sky above you. When the waters are murky dear, just look up. There is so much you will do and work for. I only wish I could see it all.

@WaveLincoln

Cesar, my boy

I remember the day I met you, you had put your sister in the hospital! A light of your nation and a ball of energy with no signs of slowing down. You my dear have brighter eyes than anyone I've ever seen. Don't lose that lightness. Keep your arms open and do not lose your optimism. I'm sure you, my dear, will go far and achieve much. You have a bright soul and a kind heart. We could use more people with the same characteristics. The fight you have and the security you provide to Hyspia is honorable and honestly deserves more recognition. My grandchild, do not grow bitter, there is kindness in the world untouched by man. Use it to remind you of the brighter times.

@tadabug2000

Sofia, oh my girl

This is a very hard missive to write, I adore you so much. You have given me a new start and look into the life inside of haense. You have experienced much loss and sadness in your world. You sired two beautiful girls, the future of this nation and the apple of my eye! You remind me of my lost daughter, so full of life and love.. she carried herself so well and always hid her truth. My darling let someone in while I'm gone, do not bear the weight of it all on your own. Times are hard and the world is changing. I honestly wasn't sure I would survive such a change in the world. You my child, you are so strong. You've survived the snakes and lions, the eyes of every gossip and every treacherous mouth the public seeps into. You have truly grown and shown that a queen can be so much more than just a public figure.

Continue my dear, it's all I ask. Live for the betterment of the world and ensure you do not regret your choices. There is not a need for such a hidden burden you carry.. and remember my dear, I am always here. 

@Nymstra

Dear, Demitrey

You have shown you are such a promising individual throughout the time I've known you. Every time I've seen you with a smile asking if there was an extra soup or sandwich. A bright future and a promising aspiration. I hope you are met with a swiftly and long lived journey in life without hardships that are breaking and without paths that are diminishing. 

@critter

Blonde, Fabian, 

One of the truest friends I've had and known, you are a menace on the printing press. Out doing all of your peers and following the footsteps of your familial greatness. We have had our bickering and struggles. The day you hired me for the kitchen I was overjoyed. To be given a kitchen.. it's a true honor among my family, which most are dead or headed that way. You brought laughter to my soul and reminded me that I don't have to be young to assume a bright path. Truly you showed me that I am still in my prime age. What a wonder. Don't lose yourself or burn yourself out dear, you have a beautiful family and a wonderful future. Try.. on occasion.. to let your shoulders fall? I mean really, how do you keep that much posture like I know I'm hunched now in my age, but man.. you stand a full foot taller than my son did!

@esotericas

Alastair,

Al! Ooh boy will I miss you, a quiet lad with a big heart and long hair! I'll have to make sure you get some of my recipes before I'm gone. That would be quite nice, though I do believe Marija will need them a bit as well, perhaps share?

@ContestedSnow

Viktor, 

What a youth you are, though we met briefly I do hope this reaches you well and that the war hasn't consumed you. I do still wonder which war this is and who we are fighting this time. I honestly do not really know who you are besides that you are one of those ruthers. I hope things turn out well for you, my child. 

If you are the parent of viktor.. your child is quite scarred. I do hope you find a good counselor.

@sarahbarah

Amaya,

Our time has been short yet promising. I'm so glad I got to see this city, and now that it's in your hands I can finally rest. You are a blessing to the future and I trust you will lead this nation with grace and teach the world that you can change anything you set your mind to. Teaching the children your heritage and showing the people of Haense that the courts aren't the only queenly domain. Your mark on this nation is going to be unmatched and I only wish I'd been able to see it to the end.

I ask that in my stead your Royal Fisher assume my position and become Master of the Pantry, he’s a bright young boy with much to learn but a wonderful heart and soul. I have nothing tangible to leave for you my dear, I am not a wealthy woman and hold no real value outside of what I have made and bargained with my own callused hands. I however hope you continue to look brightly at the world and seek out the good within the darkness. You my girl are on an extraordinary path in life. Make the best of it before its gone and you are a hundred and seventy eight, sickly and tired. 

You offered me a chance to prove myself with more competitions and sparks of many creative outlets. My lovely Amaya I only have seen greatness in your future. The world shines brightly at you, and I've never seen someone shine so bright right back at it. 

@erictafoya

Dear Timofei,

What a chef you are. Honestly I still am unsure who would win out of the two of us. I might have some age, but your natural talent is unmatched. Thank you for having me as a part of the master Chef. It was an experience I hope to never forget. Someday I'd like to teach you the art of spice and how to make even the toughest weep at the sheer level of kick. You have done great my boy. I do think we are unfinished on that chess board. Another win would be oh-so tragic on my level. Please keep the tradition running. More cooking and more chess. It's a lifestyle most cannot understand the importance of. Simple things. I talked to you about this just a few days ago, but it would honor my name if you would take over as the Master of the Pantry. Keeping the position going and feeding the people of Haense, as well as the Royals. I am certain you will do great things.

@CelestialBoba

Marija, you are a wonderful baker and I hope someday you will return to learn more of the craft I pursue. I wish you a hasty recovery. Life is too long to be inside for it all. I wish the utter best and pray for a fast recovery. Hold on tightly to those you love, and remember that you are strong and have a better dessert recipe than anyone I know.

@CasChaos

You, my child, are a bright young girl who has an old soul. You, my girl, are so wonderful and your food is divine, I hope you curate the passion in your food and I hope that you start speaking out more. You asked me for tea, I've never known how bold you could be. A very quiet person who has a bold and well spoken tone. Its unheard. You should speak up, I wish I could hear you speak more to the people around you. I'm glad my final day you served me a tea of the gods. I wish we could have spoken more, that I could have told you more, but I'm grateful for the time we have had.

@Pureimp10

Dear, the bald man I once met.. who said I was not modest in tone. Who said that to be a priestess I must be.. comforting. I believe I am quite comforting. Least I still have hair.. you keep well friends. I enjoyed our banter.. keep an eye on all the young people.

@CanadaMatt

Brazen man, who yelled at me. Profanities and called me worse than your ex wife.

YOU WERE RIGHT. I do hope that you continue to believe that when I come back and haunt your very soul. Keep your eyes very open sonny boy.

@Caedis

Nice getting to meet you the other day kid, you'll grow up well. Please.. Uh.. Do not tell your mother I taught you the word Shit or.. The word crap. Both are NOT good words, don't use 'em.. Or don't get caught using them anyhow.

Ooc: Thank you everyone involved in Fables life! It was a fun character and I enjoyed getting to see people again!

it pains me that my last rp interaction with fable was introducing her to her great grandson. I'll miss my grandma, always loved having our little one off's!

As Cesar read the letter his stomach dropped. A sense of regret grief and loss consumed his heart and soul. "I didn't get to say goodbye...pero...I'll always cherish the moments we spent together, Abuela Fable", Cesar reread the letter again. As he did so, realization soon dawned upon him. Fable was one of the few people who understood him  and knew him perfectly. "You knew me so well..."

Amaya received news of Fable's death that eve after a courier delivered the elder's letter intended for the Queen. Teary-eyed, she emitted a quiet sigh as she brushed her fingers over the crinkled parchment. "Ah, Mistress of the Pantry. You did good work. Rest well now, my friend."

Sofia learned the news of the elderly woman Fables death soon enough. She never had an Abuela, a grandmother and she had come to think of the woman as that. The advice given and the path set having aided in Sofias life today.

27 minutes ago, _mady07 said:

Try.. on occasion.. to let your shoulders fall?

Fabian sits, stone, at his desk; recalling what felt like a lifetime the old woman he'd carved a place in his courts for. A first act; a defining one, as the years would show.

"I will try," he murmurs; mourning blacks brought to his desk, and the order rolling through the courts that his courtiers were, indeed, to do the same. "I will certainly try, Nona; and thank vy." - "For everything." 

33 minutes ago, _mady07 said:

Please keep the tradition running. More cooking and more chess. It's a lifestyle most cannot understand the importance of. Simple things.

Timofei would receive the grim news of his fellow chef, chess rival, and dearest friend's demise. He would say it was too soon, but even he understood that it was time for Fable to go. He would be sad, for a moment, but then relish in the fact that his friend lived a rich and long life. For most of his young life he had progressed rather quickly. From starting a business at twenty-seven to becoming a political leader the very next year, the fisherman had rose further than anyone would have expected him to.

"For you and for the love of food, I will feed the people of Haense. It was an honor to work with vy, Fable."

Although learning of it late, and despite his typically happy and giggly personality, Ilya still burst into tears the moment he was finally told of Fable's death. The boy, unable to read, had only just learned of her fate - And sat crying as he was told about the message she had left for him..