A Final Reminiscence

Wavey

A FINAL REMINISCENCE  

16th of Owyn's Flame, 73 B.A.

yNeytkhDrlWgswGil7JTFkqjoaNcNGNJTsop7H-6a-7k1zGnAlyfjnsGk-7NayvAX1VsglWHDYgUQQeL6yxI1kxQBPnxlqAQwotIUkd7dotcolHCO1sFAzda6d-fEn9hhlQTewLBYsbGdH71ndv3rgI

mOTcD_PciTgTYiHM_RNoSl2QbuKv2W-X6R-erfjomhGKXfn0w1OcMBOg2FxhG-TB4dmfDmTb6zt6H25Zokv-4jqIJNgS_IxwJYtD5MctFi4iskSBTbm0pM8hS3UWKGZBp_HIk1_ECLOSQkE3G-PqSYc

A Farewell, I write to thee 

To a life I retire, a life more free

As I depart from the Cabinet of his Majesty 

I impart my final words in Empathy 

My time in government began at the mere age of eleven. I was a squire of Sir Peter d’Arkent, a member of the then Company of Balian. However, my purpose was further amplified in that same year. I was approached by the late Ledicort Vuiller in the Palatio Monterosa whilst I was in the midst of the Snapdragon Ball. He offered me an opportunity to ward under him, citing my determination and dedication to Balian through my time in its military. After a few Saint’s Days of contemplation, I accepted. My first task was to replace the previously defunct Senate and in its place put forth a different government catering to the capital city of Atrus itself. I find it quite amusing that in the year before my abdication from office, I enacted a similar edict, expanding the national legislative powers to our citizens within this fair nation. Like a cycle, I elevated myself from there and am now descending from the highest podium in the same manner. 

The role of the Amiratus, if I am to be completely transparent with my fellow denizens, is one of great privilege and great anxiety. Every decision that is made can have a monumental impact on not just the nation but on the international realm. As the chief enforcer and regent of His Majesty, my words and actions can have great effect to the ones whom I delegate to and to the ones whom I converse with, either they be my fellow citizens or to foreign agents and allies. I have made steadfast allies and oathbound enemies in my position. There are many who admire my work and there are also many who despise my actions and decisions. Regardless, some of these opinions of me and my administration are that of either bias, past sentiments, or general dislike. Then again, it is inevitable for one to not be at least somewhat of a  polarizing figure; for allies and enemies await a powerful figure in all corners of the streets of politics and international relations. Such is the bittersweet life of an Amiratus. 

But these plethora of responsibilities and the weight they impose are much more pleasurable to handle with the team working alongside me: Queen Andromeda, Crown-Prince Alexander, Princess Elena Casimira, Princess Persephone Maxima, Viscount Ephrem Kervallen, Cardinal Teodosio, Baron Robyn de Lyons, Lord Commander Dante DeNurem, Baron Casimir Vilac, Segnor Belyn Gris, Segnor Sarson Halgrim, Lady Nicoletta Sarkozic, and Lady Serena d’Arkent. All of these individuals were there to help guide this nation alongside me. All of them were there to support me as I helped His Majesty chart the course for our nation. 

The Ruthern Administration is the strongest council a reigning monarch of Balian has ever had. Our contributions and achievements have and will continue to stand the test of time. The framework and direction our nation has taken can be attributed to the diligent work ethic of the administration. I am grateful for the time we have spent cultivating the fruitful seeds of growth as we now watch the fig tree elongate its branches and blossom its fruits one by one. 

As I retire from the skies and return to my nest, I wish to impart wisdom to my fellow Duana constituents and to my citizens: 

To My Duana: 

The work we have accomplished and the strides we have taken to develop this once young nation to a prominent realm for all of mankind is a badge of pride each and every one of you should wear with honor. We have set a framework for the nation and now we watch as the nation leads itself to prosperity. That does not mean, however, that our work is done. We must keep constant vigilance of the needs of our citizens and the development of our culture. The work of His Majesty’s council is never finished. 

I urge you all, however, to keep your minds and point of view open to all ideological beliefs. Government works best when bipartisanship is encouraged as the primary factor of decision making. Partisanship is also justifiable and it is necessary at times to push forth agendas quicker, yet too much of it can lead to the dangers of factionalism. Factionalism should be avoided at all costs. It is a form of division among people that can lead to hostility, emotional distress, and ultimately, the destruction of a nation or its relations with others. We must remember that we all are part of a familial union. Each and every one of us will be there for one another when we are in difficult situations; that loyalty shall never dissipate. When disagreements occur, they should be addressed in a respectful manner and compromises should be sought. It is also important to recognize that everyone has something to contribute, and that each person has their own unique skills and perspectives. Each and every one of you are bright and talented in one area or multiple. Utilize that comparative advantage that each and every one of you have and hone it, combine it with another talent of the other individual to create a powerful agenda that can satisfy at least the basic principles and values that we share. Rather than attempting to be on the same page, strive to be on tangent with similar principles instead. Disagreements are a fundamental part and right for every government. 

This same view should be shared with our foreign counterparts as we continue our diplomatic work in Aevos. Even if we may agree or disagree with another nation or realm, the respect we have for them should never be diminished for they too are in the same precarious position as our leaders: fated to make difficult decisions for the betterment of our people. Through the creation of a culture of inclusion and respect both within the nation and beyond its territories, it is possible to create a positive outcome for all of mankind. 

To My Fellow Citizens:

I was once approached in the tavern by the former Syndic Grimhildr Chen. She stated her frustrations with the Supreme Assembly of Portoregne-the city government-and its inability to provide a platform for the Balianese citizens to help them share their voices, views and ideas for the charting of our nation’s direction. She then shared with me a plan to re-envision the city government into a much more inclusive platform for our people. Using her plan as reference, I sought out a plan to expand the legislative powers of our nation to all citizens of Balian. Thus, the Citizens Commune was established.

Like gravity is to a river's current, the nation's direction flows through the gravity of the decisions one makes for its presumed betterment. This legislative, cultural and political right was once reserved to the leaders of our nation. Henceforth, the citizens of Balian can now experience this sacrosanct right whenever and however they wish.. Each Balianese citizen will now have the liberty to propose, petition and express their belief in where our nation should head. With Royal Assent from the Crown, that vision may become fruitful. Regardless of the viability or lack thereof, of such proposals; the pride one feels in charting the course for our nation is one that can never be diminished. 

My fellow Balianese citizens, you now have the power to help guide the winding directions of our sovereign river through the gravity of direct democratic decision-making, to chart a path that best fits our collective view. Each citizen should be given the opportunity to bring forth an idea to the table and to satisfy their own vision for our nation’s growth. I urge, and I hope that you all take advantage of this power and convey your vision to the nation and to His Majesty. 

In my administration, I am not ignorant of the thought that I may have committed many errors. Although I am not conscious of such, there is no doubt that I may have unconsciously erred in my decision making and actions in one way or another. Regardless, I believe my attempts at steering the nation were that of good faith and judgment.

And so, I leave you all with a final note and a final song, one that I believe represents the community and the nation as a whole: 

The roots now established

Were established by us 

We passed the watering pot to each other in trust

To all who toiled and planted the seeds

We now watch as they grow and breathe

On a fateful day we watched the tree unfold

The beautiful leaves with their blossoming folds

The fruits that are now ripe for harvest

Are picked and shared amongst the promised

And so, we continue to tend to this grove

For we hope that our descendants can share in its trove

I, Gaius var Ruthern, your humble servant, retire to my home. 

SIGNED, 
HIS ROYAL EXCELLENCY, Gaius var Ruthern, Viscount of Marsana, Amiratus of the Kingdom of Balian, Lord Seneschal of the Crown and Chief Minister of the Duana.

The soldier glanced upon the document, placing it onto his desk as he smiled. "A dobry Lord Amiratus indeed, Vyr Royal Excellency." Moving from his desk, he moved towards the tall door of his office, quietly exiting. "Now vyr just mea papej." A light grin formed on the Rutherns face as he traversed down the long corridors of the Arsenal.

"It was through our work that Balian has gone through the changes that were necessary. Your work will not be forgotten, Gaius." stated the King of Balian returning back to his work, as he began the search for a new Amiratus.

"It is a shame to see one of our most dedicated go. I hope that the nation may continue on in stable hands, as it has through its history." he'd say with a firm nod as he'd read over the missive, sitting a moment to reflect on it, moving to the other side of his desk so he could gaze over the city.

"A good man," John commented in a quiet voice, poking the cinders within his fireplace. Musing to himself, the man murmured, "why has the mood felt so ... grim, lately?"

With a frown, he did his best to shake the feeling as he poured himself a glass of some potent-smelling beverage. "Enjoy things while they last, I suppose. "

Mariya of Marsana welcomed her husband home a gentle hum. "My Karcharias," The blind Viscountess peered upon him with a milky gaze, and a soft smile. "Now teu must rest. Won't teu?"

Rhys sighs. Life goes on. 

A fruit basket shortly thereafter arrived at the Ruthern estate, a notecard attached to it congratulating Gaius on his retirement -- signed by Lady Elara Halcourt, a distant cousin of the Viscount's.

While the man remained no longer upon the mortal plane, while in life Ledicort was truly proud of his successor, the boy who had once trained under his tutelage and the boy he saw as as son. Should he have been a lie this would not ever falter.

Sir Ephrem got the notice while working in his office, the man offered a lonely sigh to the empty room "May GOD enlighten your path from now on as HE did it in the past, Gaius"

An elderly elf in one of his few visits to Balian paused upon the missive, after a brief round about he ventured home, blurting out in furstration of the nonsense he read. "Wasn't he a child?"