THE LONELY CHILD: A Handful of Observations About LOTC's Gender Bias

esotericas

Totally agree. When I brought this up in the past and recounted my own experiences with this, people told me I was being melodramatic and/or crazy, which I feel is quite telling as well.

This is a large part of why I don't like playing female personas anymore. It can get so frustrating to deal with, especially after seeing a direct comparison like this.

Y’know, I haven’t noticed this until you said that. But as someone who has only played female personas on this server, I absolutely agree. During my times as Ilaria and Liridona, it was near impossible to find people wanting to interact with me first. Maybe that also has something to do with lotc’s cliqueyness (that’s not a word but whatever), but I’m not sure. Anyway, fantastic post, I whole heartedly agree

@Cheesei might be mistaken, as your name holds 'cheese' in it. But was it not you who had a female character thats whole personality was 'wh*re' and 'sl*t' pasted all over their bio? 

Majority of the server are dudes, and dudes like sticking around with dudes, i think thats the monke brain reason for ppl not going up to rping with female personas (even if the person might be a dude IRL). I personally would not think into it much though.

8 minutes ago, Jihnyny said:

@Cheesei might be mistaken, as your name holds 'cheese' in it. But was it not you who had a female character thats whole personality was 'wh*re' and 'sl*t' pasted all over their bio? 

Majority of the server are dudes, and dudes like sticking around with dudes, i think thats the monke brain reason for ppl not going up to rping with female personas (even if the person might be a dude IRL). I personally would not think into it much though.

A) One tasteless persona is not enough to totally discount their experience RPing women, especially considering they didn't even mention said persona. 

B) That may be so! I don't have any information on the gender stats of LOTC, so I won't comment re: proportions, but it's still people's responsibility to make folks feel welcomed. Calling it the "monke brain" reason takes responsibility away from the players, when it is very much still up to them.

5 minutes ago, esotericas said:

A) One tasteless persona is not enough to totally discount their experience RPing women, especially considering they didn't even mention said persona. 

B) That may be so! I don't have any information on the gender stats of LOTC, so I won't comment re: proportions, but it's still people's responsibility to make folks feel welcomed. Calling it the "monke brain" reason takes responsibility away from the players, when it is very much still up to them.

@esotericasthe comment about their '*****' persona was to suggest that being the reason for people not wishing to interact with their female personas.
I personally rped with that persona and it was incredibly disturbing

1 minute ago, Boknice275 said:

Are you sure the results of your experiment indicate 'gender bias'? Could the upsetting variable be that few people - myself included - enjoy interacting with child characters? Child/family RP is a niche that not everyone's character goals are suited for. Another thing to consider: you did not attempt your experiment at the same location, same time, with the same playergroup. You went to two very different locations (with arguably different playergroups) and different character concepts. It makes sense that you received a different result due to selection, not necessarily gender bias or discriminatory thoughts.

Much of LOTC's playerbase is here for one reason: to escape the pressures of reality through immersion in a high fantasy context. The digital medium is a barrier to actually understanding *who* other players are unless you take the time to speak to them on Discord for a significant amount of time. Even in that instance, you will likely not know the full extent of their values. If "gender bias" does exist and it is difficult to detect inrl, wouldn't it be even more hard to discern through a screen, separated by pixels and avatars who have no bearing on our true selves?

I certainly do not want you to feel like others dislike you because you're a female. Anyone who truly has those mentalities already has significant character flaws that do not reflect on you as a person. But it isn't the best idea to presume this disdain when the evidence of it is murky.

All of this is super fair. I didn't go into this intending to do an experiment. If I had, I would have done all of what you suggested re: consistency. I just happened to do this same thing again, and noticed that it felt very different this time around. And I specifically agree about interacting with child personas; if I had been intending to do this scientifically, I would have had them be the same age. But I know I, and at least a fair amount of others, would still consider 12 a "child," and thus label rping with them as "child rp." 

I never, however, said anything about family RP! Neither Galina nor Alasdair are geared towards family RP, and I was never seeking that on either of them. So I think there you're sort of misrepresenting me. 

In regards to gender bias being harder to perceive through a screen, I pretty firmly disagree. I think emotion is harder to perceive, but people's beliefs and biases almost always come through in their writing, even in subtle ways. I'm also not looking at specific individuals here, I'm considering more the general experience in a community I had, which makes it a lot harder to get to know every single person OOCly. 

Lastly, I'm not a woman, and "a female" is grammatically incorrect! That's only used when referring to animals. 

I really appreciate the thoughtful response, and I'm totally not going into this expecting people to agree with me. I just wanted to start a conversation here.

do believe that LOTC still has a lot of issues with misogyny and that it could be part of this, but I believe a large part of the problem lies in many players' dislike toward other players who don't conform to their expectations at both an OOC or RP level.

Using the example of Alasdair and Galina, you note that people seemed to be more welcoming to the young and adventuring Al, while most seemed to ignore or take little interest in Galina. This isn't necessarily just because the character is a woman, but rather that players have an expectation that the young boy should be more adventurous while the girl should be better protected and less adventurous,  as such, they encourage one and discourage the other. I'd personally argue that this is a form of misogyny, but when you look at other examples it becomes clear that it's larger than that. Imagine instead of Alasdair and Galina, you have two characters, Bob, a more "traditionally masculine" boy, and Robert, a more "effeminate" boy. I'd argue that you'd see a similar outcome, with Bob being more accepted by the overall LOTC player base, while Robert would likely experience a similar disinterest to Galina because he is not conforming to the expectations of how a male character should behave.

This extends to OOC interactions as well, where people will likely shun you if you aren't conforming to their idea of what you should do, say, and think. Gender Identity, Race, Sexual Orientation, etc all play a role in this and it's not something you can simply call "Misogynistic" or "Homophobic" because it is ALL of it at the same time. I could say so much more about my personal experience on the topic, but I think this post is already getting long enough and I have one more thing I want to touch on.

THIS ISSUE IS A LOT WORSE IN SOME PLACES THAN OTHERS!! Since 2021, when the push for equal inheritance happened in human nations(<3 @Ivoreyy Rosemoor Bill), most human communities have put a lot of effort into making sure people of all identities feel safe and welcomed within their nation. Overall this has had an amazing impact on the server and you will find a lot more welcoming nations than you did a few years ago, but there are still places lagging behind. Some smaller communities still allow, or even support, differing levels of OOC and RP discrimination and that's where you will feel the effect of all of this a lot heavier. It's pretty easy to figure out which communities aren't putting energy into making sure people feel safe, so I'm not going to call anyone out, I'll allow everyone to analyze that themselves. Note: This final comment IS NOT meant to be targeted at any specific nation/community and shouldn't be correlated with any specific communities mentioned in @esotericas's post or mine

I literally pretended to be a dude for a few years (hence my forum name being Carson still) to get perverts off my back

now that im an adult, nobody really cares enough to try to groom me. but I'm not really a human player anyway

i remember rping with you in adria! was fun smile

While it's important to be aware of gender bias, I also think examining something like LOTC for this kind of experience is rather strange. Playing on LOTC I don't expect to be treated as an equal irply in any given situation between the variety of races, beliefs and cultural practices. I also don't really want to always be treated as an equal - I want a fantasy realm with culture and culture does include the concept of gender bias and gender roles, and how your character interacts with those concepts is important and can greatly lend to your character's arc. In other words, I'm entirely okay with discrimination in a roleplay setting because I am not my character and I find those kinds of conflicts far more interesting and much less grating than some petty argument or getting hounded over one or two actions a character has done. 

I've also regularly played male and female characters in various rp communities - being assumed a male or a female is not exclusive to LOTC it's a logical extension of the information we do have because humans innately like patterns and we extend what knowledge we know naturally. It's not really particularly relevant to LOTC nor is it true bias imo, it's just a matter of ease and convenience of communication - if you play a male, expect to be assumed male. If you play a female, expect to be assumed female. If you don't want those assumptions to persist, politely correct someone.

Moreover, as someone has pointed out this isn't a very good comparison. It's heavily skewed and offers a flawed, anecdotal experience which focuses its language on highlighting the negatives when it seems quite clear that although you were passed around on your very young female persona the community was going out of its way to ensure you had someone to rp with. Overall, I think coming at any fantasy realm with the idea that because I experienced [x] in roleplay therefore [y] is true OOCly is a dangerous and unhealthy mindset which should be looked at cautiously. There are times when this is appropriate, and there are times when it is not. from reading this, to me, it sounds like a time where it is not appropriate.