[✗] [Magic Invention] - The Maker's Mark

Gaea_Foundation

LSoX_ooc5_kqWW34esd_VzTU4-RKfz1tqhV0L3p056xwnfyKu_pdeVtrL5Z74SbBweCGfX--kAmBpNwO6ajo3tFQN5NyDTyBgUQ_Thc8u3MQ5RrNWxJhBbFbQGS4gB3W3gnT_TwJQGO7Bz9G3vhf0ZY

· · ──────────────── ·𖥸· ──────────────── · ·

_mUko_njd0urIi3HDO_utHXQx_v2uQKNUBaDn37GVP05XjD-aLTMQz3OtNdkwnFZE4Mr6hTYq2iWlDGmzTq_idLGdWUOEy3ewJIYY7wADQw_bakM1-REmpiI4nPGy_ZCHIeeooe03mnMkF315-e_JX8

· · ────────────────── ·𖥸· ────────────────── · ·

Origin

The maker’s mark in and of itself is not an unheard of concept, with many proud craftsmen placing them upon their works as a sign of pride and a way for them to be accredited for their work. Typically, these marks were unique to a clan or person, with its own special meaning - one that they would often share if asked, and one that was core to them. 

Somewhere deep in the mountains a particularly proud dwarf would discover a unique, simplistic way to turn these marks into something new. With a small infusion of mana, they found that they could infuse their marking with short messages and imagery that could be invoked with a little mana once more. Its application was then widespread, for as long as one could manifest mana, from the humble housemage to the powerful voidstalker, one could imbue a mark, or read another’s. 

Mechanics

When crafting an item, as a final touch upon completion, so long as a unique craftsmens’ mark has been made anywhere upon the creation, the creator may tap into their source of mana and infuse imagery or a message into the mark by picturing it within their mind. The mark will then hold this infusion for as long as it is not destroyed.

To see or hear the embedded message in the mark, one needs only to be able to access a source of mana. Imbuing the marked item with a small amount of this mana to activate it, it will then replay whatever had been imbued within. While it is possible to hide a message within this mark, it is far from secure, as anyone who can get their hands on the mark long enough to give it a small dose of mana can too, understand the message embedded within.

• The mark is capable of either creating an auditory message or visual image. Neither of which can be used to fool the one who imbues the item (ie any image will be obviously not present in reality, an unconvincing illusion. Any words spoken could not fool one into thinking the speaker is present.)
  • Vocal messages can only be heard by the activator
  • Any visual or vocal message is limited to 10 words
  • Activating a mark is in no way exhaustive to any save for the most novice mana wielders
  • While technically usable in combat, cannot be used to gain any advantage
  • If the mark is destroyed, so is the message
  • If the person imbuing the item did not make it, the mark will not work
  • Does not require being irply taught to use
  • Can be used as long as the user has a  consistent source of mana
  • This is not a true enchantment, and can be put on any other enchanted item and does not cause void sickness
  • Player signed

Credits

Author - Gaea

Feedback - Classy

Proofreading - Creete

OOC Purpose:

Spoiler

I cannot quite recall what exactly was my inspiration for writing this piece, but as I continued to think about it, the more excited I was to have this as an addition to the lore of LOTC. While I do understand this has some overlap with a couple of Bardmancy spells, the intention of this spell is not in any way to replace them. It is only meant for messages like 'Made by [x y] in [z] city' or to have something like a small, heartfelt message from a mother for her son, as part of a parting gift; limited to 10 words. If this lore piece is accepted and you're looking for a reason that your character suddenly gained this piece of info; a band of eccentricity excited dwarves ran through the lands announcing their discovery, and explaining it to all who asked.

Simple lore that adds lovely flavor! Would love to see this be implemented to add more to crafting RP! c:

+1

It's a funny lore thing!

+1

I can't wait to have another tool to use for crafting only to never be able to use it due to hitting the item description's cap

+1

-1 font too big. denied 

really good bit of flavor and aesthetics, would love to see this implemented! +1

+1 would personally see this being used (a lot) in weaponry that is handed down by generations. It can create some cool rp and it’s not unheard of. Paladins can infuse their weapons with the soul of previous fallen paladins and create a weapon that is embered with their “challenge” therefore making the weapon speak. This is something similar except made with….house magic? The only part I’m confused on and cannot seem to find in the post.

Accepted. Moving to Implemented Lore.

please, i want this. 

6 hours ago, TeawithFrisket said:

This is something similar except made with….house magic? The only part I’m confused on and cannot seem to find in the post.

This is an open magic concept, not bound by any magic, but rather just to the ability to summon mana. The idea is that anyone, with any kind of valid MA, can use this.

16 hours ago, TeawithFrisket said:

+1 would personally see this being used (a lot) in weaponry that is handed down by generations. It can create some cool rp and it’s not unheard of. Paladins can infuse their weapons with the soul of previous fallen paladins and create a weapon that is embered with their “challenge” therefore making the weapon speak. This is something similar except made with….house magic? The only part I’m confused on and cannot seem to find in the post.

House magery used to have a spell which let you make artificial messages that basically acted as custom birds, though this was removed when aviaries came into existence.