Meditations on Faith - Vol. 1: A Powerless Church

Xarkly

Meditations on Faith - Vol. 1:

A Powerless Church

lm1lzsqeuy9YybsE8y4IhcHf0C_YLu3xL_1TI7oquizpTrRJe_zMgW0e--d-CpbTdK73jrgee1sLAGlfpBqd6sKuxXqmrg-Es2xiXDCfbetbJVdqZnpLr8zrpegmwFPqIvCssRpfmPCUPT2txEtgx5I

Spoiler

SANCTUS LUX IN TE;

I am ordained Friar Villorik, a warpriest of the Holy Mother Church.

I write this from within my lodgings in the Covenant war camp as the campaign against the League of Veletz continues. I took up arms in the name of the Vicar of God in order to expunge the Anathema from the Heartlands, but this is not why I write; in the long months of marching and battle, I have had a great deal of time to meditate upon the meaning of the Canonist faith, and the Church of the Canon. 

When I studied the Scrolls prior to my ordainment by the late Father Tonito - may God keep his soul - I was sure in my faith, and my understanding of the Holy Light. Yet, I know now that this understanding was born purely from academia and study of the written word - in other words, naivety. First-hand experience of the world brings with it a far greater understanding of the fellow inhabitants of this realm, be they pious or pagan. 

Thus, I have committed to the recording of these meditations in the hope of kindling progress within the Church. 

This first volume shall opine on the nature of the Church’s power as an institution.

lrsskrxVGW1m1rZsDtW6oHdtBYp-cHSQzW7qSP7ybOhZwnhc9DJ_x98Oj7HdoM2XmO7Irp_GZVXEyee0dpWYts6nIK1QVNPQWYxAluGQZ3LEGHjH3dz-3i-CAZpeF8Tg6wQnTOVTD7SStTpUfPLCNWY

"God promises refuge from suffering in all times, that the sons of His Sons should never bow before Iblees again."

- Scroll of Gospel, Book of Silence

Let us begin with this question - what is the Canonist Church?

This is a question with many answers. It is foremostly a teacher, responsible for the performance of the holy sacraments and spiritual needs of the Canonist Realms. The Church represents order, and teaches the tenets of Canon law enshrined in the Holy Scrolls -- we must then contemplate what the Church’s role becomes when these teachings are spurned, and therein lies the focus of this meditation.

The Church lacks independent power with which to enforce its teachings and punish transgressions.

This is not to say that the Church lacks any power, but it is a conditional power derived from nations for whom it is convenient. This present war between the Grand Covenant and the League of Veletz makes for a fitting example - in excommunicating the government of Veletz, the Church has firmly aligned itself with the cause of the Covenant. While this cause is righteous, it cannot be denied that the religious aspects of this conflict - namely, the sins of Veletz in the form of sacrilege and consorting with light-spurned Darkspawn - are secondary to the political goals of many, though not all, of the Covenant nations. 

Therefore, in exacting penance from Veletz for their transgressions against the faith, the Church must rely on the political objectives of the other Canonist Princes. I have come to accept that we, as the mortal swords of God, would have no means to vanquish our foe were it politically inconvenient to the majority of the Canonist Realms. 

Likewise, if the Covenant sovereigns were to now sin unapologetically, the Church is practically powerless to act upon it. For while the goals of the Covenant enable us to strike down the sinners in Veletz, there would be no such aid to banish any shadow that befalls the Covenant itself, for they alone form the Church’s ability to act. 

The quandary is this clear - the Church is without any power of its own, and its mission on this mortal plane is hindered. We, the very agents of God, are forced to barter and compromise in order to achieve one objective while sacrificing others. Our mission is only attainable insofar as it aligns with the machinations of mortal kings, and true commitment to fulfilling the will of God and His Skies would leave the pious few standing alone. 

This is the truth as I have come to understand it, both from study of the Scrolls, and seeing the Holy Light shine upon the land. 

The Church is, in truth, powerless. 

LcHCcUyFcpwrUJmpoO1W7EpmYfQz8yfQl2g2oTAy7a4MqVw-wtkVwg_0s6Epky938mxg2yTb3WYn4OGRSlgpzsRoDKh9EoISe8EgPwf9QhRDhYD8DL34ulA1wXIHb1IYXHrZIzS8toeSYGPjjyIGG_w

"And verily we are all commanded into the service of the Lord, and into service of others, be we physician, craftsman, or king."

- Scroll of Spirit, Epistle to the Magi

Can the Church escape this mire?

It can, for the fundamental aspect of all power is the same. As it is, the Canonist clergy are learned men and women committed to the teachings of God by way of passive preaching. Yet, in times of war, the clang of steel so easily drowns out the wisdom of the Scrolls -- for when the Deceiver pulls his strings upon the souls of those who have fallen to his shadow and commits them to sin, preaching, sermons, and sacraments can do little to oppose them.

If we are the torches of the Holy Light, then we must illuminate - we must cast away the shadow of sin and ignorance through our teachings. Yet some shadows lie so thick that they cannot be merely illuminated -- they must be burned. As of now, and as of many decades past, the torch of the Holy Light has dimmed so as to only illuminate, and those most detestable shadows cannot be burned away.

The Church has hosted many militant sects over time, from the warriors of Saint Jude to the darkslayers of Owyn, yet we are without a steadfast armed force dedicated wholly to the role of faithful jurors - without competing national loyalties, nor material ambitions. This task is not completed overnight, but over decades. But, with perseverance and commitment to our role as not only God’s shepherds, but warriors, it is wholly possible for the Church to gain true and unfettered power with which to accomplish our most holy mission. 

In these times where the Shadow lies long across the land, it is not enough for the Holy Light to shine.

It must burn. 

mNNtUh-0x3DkPX13uIEewmAXqTNI9O3e-dohw44hTWbtvRcY3IJTaMcv1m6YoPUXPqB1QaFxpdbiRNKjZi74746bWKQQuFJup21hVKLvWk7RlYNk_dbLUBcMIHSrCGBvy1524343FLN4Wt0aUYZAp94

"Thus Owyn raises the sword of flame. And lo! the light of God is redeeming, and wicked reject it.

Iblees and his servants are destroyed forever.

The world is become paradise."

- Scroll of Auspice, Vision of Strife

35 minutes ago, Xarkly said:

The Church is, in truth, powerless. 

Markus throws away his papers in a fury, for the warmonks of Haense had already so succinctly outlined his own thoughts.

A Haeseni-born priest residing in the United Kingdom of Aaun by the name of Petyr pens a critical reply to the 'warpriest' in regard to their essay,

"To the ordained Friar Villorik,

While your claimed respect for the Scrolls is commendable and expected as a priest, it does not bode well to claim that centuries of written theory and analysis of the Holy Scrolls is naive. The history of our faith has seen great academics that have experienced many realms and many cultures that have surely influenced their analyses, and their essays prove much more optimistic than the dribble you have written that insults the very foundation of our Mother Church. You claim that the Church as an institution is totally reliant on the whims of ambitious princes but was it not the Exalted Owyn, an orphan who grew to rally the faithful of his uncle's armies in his youth, who restored the Kingdom of Idunia to virtuous rule from the sinful and ambitious Harren? Was it not he who created the institution that began the Mother Church as we know it today?

While the Exalted Owyn is an extraordinary case due to being exalted, he is the exemplar of a man of virtue overcoming the tyrannical rule of an ambitious king with no respect for the Lord. These men and women, whether they occupy positions in realms or not, will forever exist and the tremendous power that they hold in spiritual unity transcends national identity. It is a power that can overcome any oppressive ruler. As long as these men and women exist, as they will as the Lord's mercy is forever shown in our daily lives, the Church as a mouthpiece of the Lord God's virtue will forever have power whether a standing militaristic force in possession of the Church exists or not.

I recommend that you take more time on your marches to think more of the power of the Canonist collective lest you forget who you are truly fighting for.

"In the kingdoms of Horen, he mingled strange and corrupt practices with the wisdom of holy men. Even now, the Lord watched, and sent miracles, that the world would repent."

Scroll of Gospel (5:34-35)

Father Petyr of Albarosa"

27 minutes ago, Crevel said:

A Haeseni-born priest residing in the United Kingdom of Aaun by the name of Petyr pens a critical reply to the 'warpriest' in regard to their essay,

"To the ordained Friar Villorik,

While your claimed respect for the Scrolls is commendable and expected as a priest, it does not bode well to claim that centuries of written theory and analysis of the Holy Scrolls is naive. The history of our faith has seen great academics that have experienced many realms and many cultures that have surely influenced their analyses, and their essays prove much more optimistic than the dribble you have written that insults the very foundation of our Mother Church. You claim that the Church as an institution is totally reliant on the whims of ambitious princes but was it not the Exalted Owyn, an orphan who grew to rally the faithful of his uncle's armies in his youth, who restored the Kingdom of Idunia to virtuous rule from the sinful and ambitious Harren? Was it not he who created the institution that began the Mother Church as we know it today?

While the Exalted Owyn is an extraordinary case due to being exalted, he is the exemplar of a man of virtue overcoming the tyrannical rule of an ambitious king with no respect for the Lord. These men and women, whether they occupy positions in realms or not, will forever exist and the tremendous power that they hold in spiritual unity transcends national identity. It is a power that can overcome any oppressive ruler. As long as these men and women exist, as they will as the Lord's mercy is forever shown in our daily lives, the Church as a mouthpiece of the Lord God's virtue will forever have power whether a standing militaristic force in possession of the Church exists or not.

I recommend that you take more time on your marches to think more of the power of the Canonist collective lest you forget who you are truly fighting for.

"In the kingdoms of Horen, he mingled strange and corrupt practices with the wisdom of holy men. Even now, the Lord watched, and sent miracles, that the world would repent."

Scroll of Gospel (5:34-35)

Father Petyr of Albarosa"

Father Petyr,

Though you claim our views differ, I am obliged for your reply nonetheless; for it is only through discourse that we might progress.

I must firstly state that I think your core disagreement stems from a grievous and hasty misinterpretation of my meditations - namely, that I forsake the analysis of the Scrolls. Indeed, this is far from my contemplation. That you cite the works of the most holy Exalted Owyn and his restoration of the Idunian realm is the very core of my interpretation of the Holy Light and God's plan -- the need for militant believers to restore what has fallen to sin. What you mistake for a sweeping condemnation of all Canonist history is, in reality, a commentary on the pacifism of the Church in recent decades when it has lacked such spirit as was displayed by Exalted Owyn in the restoration of the Holy Light when the Shadow has grown heavy. We are, by all accounts, saying much the same thing, it seems.

As with any institution whom assume the responsibility of teaching and enforcing order, there must be two pillars; that of the teacher itself, who espouses the principles and tenets by which faithful men must live; and that of the enforcer, who rectifies the transgressions of those who wilfully eschew those teachings. As I have written, the former is the Holy Light's illumination, and the later is its burn. One, I have come to surmise, cannot exist without the other, lest those taken by the Shadow deny the teaching with utmost impunity.

As these great men you cite once did, so must we aspire to follow in their footsteps so that the Shadow will be forever denied. For those who do not return God's love must live in fear, or never shall the Shadow be dispelled.

- Friar Villorik.

1 hour ago, Xarkly said:

If we are the torches of the Holy Light, then we must illuminate - we must cast away the shadow of sin and ignorance through our teachings. Yet some shadows lie so thick that they cannot be merely illuminated -- they must be burned. As of now, and as of many decades past, the torch of the Holy Light has dimmed so as to only illuminate, and those most detestable shadows cannot be burned away.

Upon reading the excerpt, Hieromonk Osvald huffed a bit. "The good Friar knows the problem, but seems has not yet been elightened to the solution. The lack of Light" he stated, and then continued "GOD is the light." he pointed then "What can illuminate our heart but GOD? GOD's love. We have forgotten how to love GOD, for our pride keeps us blinded. "Leave, o good Friar, matters of 'power' to Kings and to Queens. For only one is our KING in the skies, of infinite, impossible power. It is frim HIM that our strength comes, not through steel and iron! If we do not rely ONLY on HIM for strength and spiritual power, we will only be left with our mortal, useless, and lowly weakness. Weakness becomes our power, once we recognize it, and come forth to the LORD, like a son to his Father and say 'My father, I am weak, but I want to do your bidding! Teach me how to do your bidding and give me the strength required!' We have forgotten how to see GOD with our spiritual eyes! How many write and read of HIM, but have never felt him! This is powerlessness! To not be in personal contact with the creator! Woe be us, who do not repent and lower our head, and place our trust and all hope in GOD, who made the heavens and the world"

The formerly-Haeseni Watcher, Haus, skims over the writings as he sits idle at his own camp. For a moment, he seems content to toss it into his kindling - before thought strikes him. He gathers his own writing supplies, brow knitting as he thinks and thinks. The silence is deafening, for that cosmic-eyed man.

"Be Silent - not you, Asseran." He mumbles under his breath, tapping towards his temple "Awfully crowed today." 

The Yisar merely offers a flick of it's head, returning to lounging about as Haus writes.

"Ordained Friar, 

I would be remiss to ignore the reference to the Epistle of the Magi, and the irony of me writing, anyway - while your point is clear, articulate, and well-founded, I think you've missed a part of what likely is the same issue. 

I believe it is not simply just that the Church is powerless by virtue of the politics arranged and battles fought over land and materialistic things by the Canonist lands - it has, in turn, actively discouraged anything but the most pious and perfect for lending aid. Far too often, I have noted across many lands and people, those of the Faith are quick to - as you so perfectly stated - attempted to burn the shadow away when none exists. The Illuminating Light, the teachings, are so few and far that many I have seen and heard see the church as nothing more then vessels of human sin, marching under His Banner. 

I have witnessed the awful powers that lie in such shadows raze catastrophe across the lands of Canonism - powerless to only observe as entire cities flooded or turned to ice in the span of a handful of minutes. I have watched as bodies were removed from the carnage by the cartful, given impromptu rites, and forgotten. I have watched as myself and others have tirelessly worked to extend our hand to burn away this shadow, to only be turned away at best. How, I ask, is anyone suppose to know the Illumination of Teachings if they are either ignored or scorched away needlessly? How, indeed, when at the mention of a single Vampyre I have watched man turn on man, and cast the finger of blame - and yet when that Beyond his Light strikes us, there are no hands to help fight back because the foe does not come in flesh and blood that so easily slain as our fellow man. 

I suppose the point is that it is not enough, to simply say that the Faithful have been pacified and turned to the table of politics and the solution lies in raising its own Banners to strengthen itself. In truth, to many and myself, I can no longer see the Light coming from the Church itself. I see it in the Pious Few - those who truly absolve themselves from these mundane affairs and devote themselves to the Faith - but when the idea of Church comes to mind, I do not see Teaching and a devotion to the same principles. You must forgive my lacking reading of the Scrolls, but is it not that the Sword should be raised only in need - not in wrath or sin, or simply because a man bearing flesh and blood has screeched 'GOD Wills It!' louder then the voice of reason?

It cannot be ignored, however - beyond all woes and grievances, the first step to progress is acknowledging the need for such. I admire your resolve, to ponder such problems from the frontlines. Change is difficult enough to find, and it often lacks the driving force of a soul with Will in it's step and deed. I bid you good health in the many fights to come. 

Kindly,

Haus"

Within the heartland, in that chapel in the haensetian labor village of Waldensburg, a priest shod in metal speaks, and the thin metal arms of his auto-pen work, scribing upon the scroll his letter of reply.

"Dear Warpriest, Touched by the WHITE FLAME.

This humble servant of the OWYNSSIAH, devout to the word of GOD most high sees well the intent of your letter, and verily is it true. For I had borne witness as my Father Superior, sanctified machines, and my own Cardinal Tonito, ignored when speaking of true darkness, true crime, in exchange for time spent and attention directed to secular matters. To infighting and further division, when it is so simple to direct the cause towards what is truly impure.

This is a SPIRIT WAR. Where the Magi, the Darkspawn, the Serpentmen, and the Heretech aim solely to corrupt the minds and bodies of the good land. This is a degeneration of the PURE STATE. For was it not his sons who fought and divided the land of the KING when he was struck doomed.

NOT ALL DARE REACH TO BATHE IN THE PURE WATER, MOST WOULD TAKE ELFWIVES AND LIVE SLOTHFUL, SURRENDERING TO THE CURSE OF SHAI'TAN IN THEIR SLOTH! THEIR 'PROGRESS' and 'AMBITION' THAT OF IMPURE GREED OF THE MORTAL WORLD!

50 So he did not fast, but slept into the midday. 51 And there came upon him in the evening the Aengul Artifai, who commanded him “Here, twice you rejected the gift of GOD.

52 The Lord bids you go into the Grotto of Gamesh and fast for three days, and receive the vocation of your father.” 53 So Harren left his city of timber and hide, and entered the Grotto.

54 For two days Harren fasted in the holy waters. 55 He did not pray, but considered the greatness of his conquest. 56 He aspired to overthrow Godwin and Joren, and rule as king of all men. 57 But on the third day he heard the fanfare of his subjects of mixed blood.

58 They celebrated a heathen festival, and he left the cavern to go among his subjects.

And was it not HE, the LORD OF PURITY who cleansed himself in that golden grotto, and the winds did bade him to take the purity into his soul and through those waters was thusly purified. Worthy to mantle the OWYNSSIAH.

21 At once the darkness was cast out by a sword ablaze, and there GOD spoke to Owyn. 22 “You stand before me in the waters of Gamesh, Owyn, Son of Godwin, Son of Horen. 23 Your people cry out for justice and purity.

24 Take hold of this blade, a symbol of holiness, and by it you shall cleanse mankind of sin. 25 Now flee from this mockery of My city and go into the village of Rafal. 26 Fast there for three days, and I shall augment you on the third.

OH OWYNSSIAH, FIRST TO AUGMENTED, WREATHED IN YOUR FLAME. DID YOU MARCH ALONE INTO THE SACRED CITY, ARMED ONLY WITH THE LIGHT OF GOD, AND FLAMING SWORD, DID YOU WAGE HOLY SACRED HYPERWAR UPON THE IMPURE. Were you made then again, the light that shines all the world.

He who holds the pure covenants. He who purges the Heretic, he who dismisses the Xeno, HE is the blessed one.

In the oaths of my Lectorism, I obtained the primary objectives. PRESERVE PURITY. PURGE THE IMPURE. This is the sacred script. And the LIGHT that fills our hearts gives us power to create the means to ease ALL burdens. ALL curses.

Oh comrade May we find one another. Let us ease some burdens. For it says right in the scrolls what to do.

-Father Adeptus #003, priest of the canon, Humble servant of the OWYNSSIAH"

The monk of machines did sharpen each tooth upon the wicked cyberaxe at the end of the great polestaff. Once the annotations complete, did he return to artisanally creating the sanctified tools of Hyperwar...

"Friar Villorik,

Firstly, I must commend you on your observations. I do not mean to pen this letter as some sort of refutation, but rather a supplement to your thinking; perhaps, my response will allow you to ponder more over the why the issue you mention persists.

Unlike its promulgation, the High Pontiff is no longer seen as the direct 'representative' of our Lord's will, but rather, the shepherd of Canonist thought. As such, the 'role' of the Church has often molded to the direction of its master; the Vicar. Under Lucien, it was the faith militant. Under others, it was rather a scholarly institution. To most, it was to keep the peace.

Compared to most contemporary history, we now live in unprecedented times. Why is that? To put it simply, there is no Fidei Defensor. Historically, the role of the Church was intertwined with a Crowned Emperor (thus, the common saying of "Crown and Laurel"). The Church relied on the Emperor to quite  literally "defend the faith", and for the most part, relied on the influence of an Empire to spread its political will. Obviously there have been many independent cases where this relationship has been soured (such as Owyn III), often leading to trends such as an independent papal state, an independent church militia, schisms, etcetera. But when you study the scrolls and even the history of our Church, this has been prescribed as the trend. It is largely known that the Emperor and High Pontiff were dependent on each other, each in different ways.

Now to your point, the Church is forced to back the political ambitions of the largest human conglomerate, because there is no Empire and Fidei Defensor for them to rely on. We have seen this with the previous struggle with both Aaun and Haense; effectively, the nation who bought the most majority support of humanity was often the nation which earned the political capital of the Church. Why did the Church intercede in the death of King Edmund of Aaun, but not the King Frederick of Oren? Because one nation was still victorious, and the other wasn't. 

Some may call this as politics, and while I must agree that some actions of the Church have certainly been malicious, I would prescribe it to mere survival. I am unsure of how to remedy this, but perhaps an independent state and militia may be the answer. But then, we have seen that an independent Church has always violated the political interests of human countries. Will this bring another schism? Who knows.

- Father Adelric"