[Ashwood Ammendment] Let me make Ashwood Automatons!

Old Lore: (Redline in question bolded)

Spoiler
  • After dying, the wood will lose its strength after 1 OOC week of decay, at which point it will be vulnerable to being felled by conventional means.
  • Being a tree, it must be planted in… Well, tree-friendly places with sunlight and soil, unless kept alive by some other means.
  • For balance reasons, constructs and similar beings cannot be made from an ashwood. (i.e no ashwood treants or what have you). Further, Ashwood cannot conduct resonance.
  • All ashwood trees must be cultivated via legitimate roleplay. These trees or their swells no longer require an ST Signature.
  • All ashwood trees from the sapling stage up should have a mechanical, in-world representation, if at all possible, and size, generally, should reflect the age and health of the tree. For the sake of space and build convenience, a tree needn’t be made much larger than its adolescent stage, however. What is important is that one does not have, for example, a sapling the size of an elder, or vice versa.

Proposed Change

Spoiler
  • After dying, the wood will lose its strength after 1 OOC week of decay, at which point it will be vulnerable to being felled by conventional means.
  • Being a tree, it must be planted in… Well, tree-friendly places with sunlight and soil, unless kept alive by some other means.
  • For balance reasons, ashwood can only be used as a substitute for metal plates for constructs and similar beings. (i.e no ashwood treants or what have you). Further, Ashwood cannot conduct resonance.
  • All ashwood trees must be cultivated via legitimate roleplay. These trees or their swells no longer require an ST Signature.
  • All ashwood trees from the sapling stage up should have a mechanical, in-world representation, if at all possible, and size, generally, should reflect the age and health of the tree. For the sake of space and build convenience, a tree needn’t be made much larger than its adolescent stage, however. What is important is that one does not have, for example, a sapling the size of an elder, or vice versa.

Reasoning

Spoiler

At the time the ashwood post was created, the Iron Sakura did not exist in the lore. Consequently, this redline was likely implemented to prevent power creeping the rarity of the then closely equivalent, ST-signed material- Ironwood. Moreover, this redline probably aimed at restricting certain CAs like Treants, Epiphytes, and others that utilize nature in their formation. This limitation prevents them from emulating the extreme durability of the tree or using it as an additional layer of protection for their CA mechanics. In my opinion, Ashwood is only as strong as thinly treated steel, and the added flavor of being able to make a construct from it would not disrupt server balance.

Breab +1

+1 Any advantage you get from ashwood is obtained better in another material (even in the other woods.)

Don't be STINKY.

I know **** all about Ashwood lore. Treatment is done to keep the following from happening yeah?

• For balance reasons, ashwood can only be used as a substitute for metal plates for constructs and similar beings. (i.e no ashwood treants or what have you). Further, Ashwood cannot conduct resonance.

I think Animii constructs, and the sort is fine.  Moreover, this redline probably aimed at restricting certain CAs like Treants, Epiphytes, and others that utilize nature in their formation. This limitation prevents them from emulating the extreme durability of the tree or using it as an additional layer of protection for their CA mechanics.    Your new redline, basically keeps this in effect or undoes it? Confused with the wording there. It seems like it does, because it can only be used for plates. As to keep Epiphytes and etc, from getting free Iron skin. 

Would +2 if I could, gib more cool Ashwood stuff please

5 minutes ago, ThatFunkyBunch said:

As to keep Epiphytes and etc, from getting free Iron skin. 

I think Epiphytes can't be an Ashwood dryad by their own redlines currently, but its not really about them getting ashwood skin, its more about their soul tree being very hard to destroy. So, for example, my aspen dryad's tree could be burned or destroyed much, much easier than an Ashwood Dryad's would be.

Ashwood as a tree is iron in strength when alive, so people could try (and I believe have) to argue that because they are also alive and made of ashwood (as a CA) and should thusly be iron strength as well. So the original redline was put in place to prevent that arguement in the first place. This is just my attempt at ammending the redline so that the intention of keeping natual cas from getting unfair protection while still allowing the treated material to be used as parts for CAs.

Ashwood is iron strength in life, and after falling off the tree only if properly treated. Otherwise, it reverts to a mundane wood.

So yes, you understood correctly.

reading-newspaper-william-frawley.gif

we dont have Treant CAs and Epiplytes can't use ashwood like that anyway. Like I get the point, but its rather redundant when nothing can even do this. 

3 hours ago, NightcastorKitty said:

we dont have Treant CAs and Epiplytes can't use ashwood like that anyway. Like I get the point, but its rather redundant when nothing can even do this. 

Its copied over from the old lore. I assume it means no ashwood entlings.

Amendments/Additions implemented into main lore post. Thank you for your submission. Moving to correct subforum to prevent redundancy and clutter.