the case for banning homophobia

satinkira

5 minutes ago, Bonito said:

upvote me if you think racism is bad 2764.png

on the contrary, if you dont like rp bonito, simpy ignore it

1 minute ago, ydegirl said:

its savoyard btw

editing now

it seems more unrealistic to me that a character unnaturally likes everyone for no reason other than "my skygod has to or else it's breaking rules"
idk just seems silly to be bannable offense that a character wants to avoid someone for being homosexual in rp

if characters are avoiding other characters that are played by IRL homosexuals or what have you for ooc reasons, then yes that is most definitely a bad thing

1 minute ago, JoanOfArc said:

Do you think your opinion will change again a week?

if people are persuasive enough sure, but judging from the usual calibre of response (just ignore it :3) probably not

Just now, Morphine said:

it seems more unrealistic to me that a character unnaturally likes everyone for no reason other than "my skygod has to or else it's breaking rules"

you dont need to like everyone of course but why draw the line at homosexuals?

tbh, just because the church didn't officiate homosexual marriages doesn't mean everybody is against it. I think the 'canonist princes' post just drew out a lot of people who would act in rp due to ooc hatred whereas before it was generally not a problem. Don't go to places where you know it is taboo in rp

42 minutes ago, satinkira said:

My position is clear: we should flat-out ban all forms of real-world prejudice from the server. It’s basically an informal rule, where the only holdout is homophobia for some reason – we don’t permit real-world racism, but we permit homophobia.

100% I think this is the only point that really matters and deserves consideration. If IRL Racism is not allowed, then IRL-Anything thats hateful doesn't deserve a place on LoTC. You can endlessly argue IRP and OOC intentions and character bleed, but at the end of the day the only question that can be asked and answered is will that rule be consistently upheld or not, and why.

It's a universe of magical things, machines, and various species of people - if your RP revolves hate because of who someone is attracted to, more often then not it's not a "unique" character trait when the arguments made IRPly reflect the arguments made IRL. LoTC exists separate from the real world, we're not even allowed to make references to the real world - Homophobia specifically has no place in LoTC.

I don't think a IRP respectful perspective  that goes against the act of homosexuality is in any way or form harmful. If it is harming you irl, the problem does not lie with the person who gives such perspective but merely the person in question who deems it to be homophobic and tries to create a fuss out of it.

There are real world problems that deserve attention and I do not think the right way to solve the IRL issue in regards to homophobia is to try and boycott a community that adheres to a traditional religion IRP.

Although the server is not based on a "Dark Age Medieval Europe" lets say, I do think that no one should feel excluded, just do not try to force your OOC opinion or POV down the throats of someone IRP who likes to RP a traditional-religious because it will both have an OOC and IRP backlash (As should be expected.)

19 minutes ago, MeteorDragon said:

If you don't like gays, you're weird

I have never heard this being said about people who are made fun of for adhering to an IRL abrahamic faith and due to their views on homosexuality.

While we are at it and discussing discrimination against groups of people because it hurts them to see it OOC let me bring up another issue that is overlooked:

So here,

If you do not like Christians, Muslims, Jews for their OOC norms and values; you're weird.

I have seen people of the homosexual-orientation say the following about keyfigures in those religions:

"Jesus was gay and his apostles too"

"Mohammed was gay"

Et cetera.

Why is there not any attention to this and there is to homosexuality and the opinion that someone holds against it on a fantasy-medieval server? 

At this point just allow IRL religious conservatives to RP as they want which in this case is fictional religions like Iman Al Rashidun for the Qalasheen and Canondom for the rest of man. If you're so hurt by it there are plenty of other communities tolerant of what you are fighting for.

there shouldn't be any rp involving any sexuality at all. it's weird. all of our characters should be eunuchs who lay eggs. it can be lore!

10 minutes ago, Franczhiz said:

I don't think a IRP respectful perspective  that goes against the act of homosexuality is in any way or form harmful. If it is harming you irl, the problem does not lie with the person who gives such perspective but merely the person in question who deems it to be homophobic and tries to create a fuss out of it.

'my apologies sir, we cannot marry you into our church - you are gay, you see, and though we do not hate you, it would go against our religion'

compare this to;

'my apologies sir, we cannot marry you into our church - you are of a different skin colour, you see, and though we do not hate you, it would go against our religion'

the second, of course, is a scenario that does not happen; I think your mistake is understimating the severity of homophobia - racism rp is not permitted (the version related to skin colour, at any rate - orcs can say what they like about elves) and therefore neither should homophobia be. it being a facet of medieval european culture does not give it the right to hang about, as is true of many other things of the time

There are real world problems that deserve attention and I do not think the right way to solve the IRL issue in regards to homophobia is to try and boycott a community that adheres to a traditional religion IRP.

this is not an attempted boycott - I personally don't believe that the church would crumble if homophobia was removed. this also isn't an attempt to solve an irl problem, I'm unsure where you got that from

Although the server is not based on a "Dark Age Medieval Europe" lets say, I do think that no one should feel excluded, just do not try to force your OOC opinion or POV down the throats of someone IRP who likes to RP a traditional-religious because it will both have an OOC and IRP backlash (As should be expected.)

you've no right to homophobic RP - I'm unsure why you presume that the right to be homophobic is integral to your medieval RP; I've much respect for medieval european traditionalist RP, and it can be most certainly be done without homophobia nor exclusion of homosexual characters. if you claim that it breaks your sense of realism then I'll have to call bull because we have tanks and walking mechpriests

11 minutes ago, MeteorDragon said:

If you don't like gays, you're weird

Meteor as usual being based af