the case for banning homophobia

satinkira

11 hours ago, MailC3p said:

Bro I love reading Satinkira's bi-monthly post to get clout and rep farm and then going through the comments and seeing "Yeah, but Haelun'or Nazi's" as if we've done anything in the past few years to provoke such a response. 

Right now Hnor is literally the most accepting it has ever been and yet a post that has nothing to do with us somehow gets dragged to us, this is why I don't go onto the forums man

I just wanna sit around and do my RP, I don't care about all this, just lemme be an isolationist both IRPly and OOCly, k, thanks.

How about you do your rp with me instead 🤗

On 2/29/2024 at 8:10 PM, Kholibrii said:

I think that @ScoutTheWitchreally summed up the core question that needs to be asked, what is lost if homophobia were to be banned from LOTC? Does what is lost, if anything, outweigh the benefits of having a community that is fostering a open and welcoming environment for people of all walks of life. 

There are a million in world ways to discriminate against someone that doesn't relate to serious real life discrimination. I don't see anything that is lost by taking away homophobic roleplay. One could argue that it limits a character's "flaws" but is being a bigot isn't a creative flaw, but even if you are basic af, removing homophobia doesn't limit you from playing a bigot who hates elves or humans who speak with a different accent/language, or someone with red hair(the true villains).

Also just because the server removes homophobia doesn't mean you have to run around waving a pride flag. You can just go about your roleplay how you normally would, I doubt most people supporting homophobic roleplay were even doing homophobia RP before this topic blew up, so it's not going to change anything. You can continue to be homophobic in real life, I personally don't give a damn whether some random person on a mineman roleplay server supports me, nor should any other queer person. I'm not trying to tell you how to live your life outside of lotc or what sort of personal morals you should have. 

With that being said, I'm not a big supporter of outright banning homophobic RP, I think it's much better for individual communities and the server as a whole to foster an environment where it is less acceptable rather than being not allowed at all. I think the approach to homophobia should be similar to sexism, in that it has become less acceptable roleplay rather than being outright banned(to my knowledge IRP sexism isn't banned, it just is less common now). There are still people who have storylines involving sexism in consenting, mutual RP, but it shouldn't be forced on outside parties who finding it extremely discomforting. Similarly, if a group of consenting individuals want to tell a story involving homophobia then they should be able to, but their homophobic roleplay shouldn't effect large swaths of players who are made extremely uncomfortable by the roleplay.

On 2/29/2024 at 7:44 PM, Rigorous said:

there are already rules that guarantee you can ban people for poor faith role-play

the two extremes to this argument of "the scrolls [catholicism] say no" or "why would you rp this anyway!!!" are so stupid

if somebody is bleeding their homophobia into rp, gather evidence and report them (this has been done in the past with other bans - people have been banned for these things repeatedly by the mod team on an ad hoc (necessity) basis, because surprisingly despite the corruption that does exist in certain staff groups, staff still overwhelmingly care about keeping lotc a safe and regulated place)

that being said, the erasure of racism, homophobia, etc, is just not doable - that is, unless you want a massive craft mega city wholesome chungus server relatively detached from reality, in which case keep going, we're almost there (more forum posts will make it a reality OMG!)

I've refrained from commenting on this to avoid getting dragged to hell in this thread, but while scrolling through the 196 replies (wow), I cannot help but absolutely agree with these two. Setting ooc boundaries with the person you're roleplaying with, as Rigorous said, is super super important and obviously ooc comfort and safety are most important, but I also don't believe in bubble wrapping roleplay because people have views in roleplay. All religions have tenets that are important to them, and what is considered blasphemous to the canonists is entirely okay somewhere else, and vice-versa. Political spectrums also very much exist in character too, and you can see that in every single community irp and oocly.

As Kholibrii said, it would be much more effective and less tedious to fix this issue community by community. There was not a time when everyone in the world woke up, and every government decided to legalize gay marriage. It happened over decades with revolutions and riots and protests and petitions, and it's still not done. I notice one very big argument is that ooc conflicts and prejudices shouldn't have to translate to rp, but you see ooc problems in roleplay every single day. It's not on a systematic scale almost, but there are wars and murders and tortures and so many things that I would argue are absolutely horrific and far worse than saying "Oh you can't get married to a man because ur also a man".

tldr; Roleplay on the roleplay server (I know this is hard for y'all), and communicate with people if you feel uncomfortable or fear that someone is oocly a bad influence on the server and making people unsafe.

love u all xx

Spoiler

the premium experience has always been about inclusivity ever since Aegis

anyone who says otherwise has participated in discriminatory roleplay and should be banned

good luck

300 woo

I'd say it was a pleasure but it really wasn't. The amount of brainrot in the comments on this post is depressing. The complete absence of effort put into knowing anything abt Canonism etc before shitting on it is mystifying. Thank God nothing will come of this shitshow.

Why do we even have to have romance ect rp on LOTC? You can go out and fight a dragon or go on an epic quest. Yet you decide to do cringey romance rp with another greasy fat 40 year old in their mother's basement.