Shade Magic

Elindor

Mixing magic [extended]

Alright, so seeing as people are asking, I'll give a more in-depth explanation of mixing shade magic with other types, as well as how it works on its own a bit more. The basics of mixing Shade magic with other types lies within making those types 'darker' and adding a certain acidic effect to it. Allow me to go into a bit of detail concerning most arcane magic types.

Evocation: 
Darkening the appearance of the evoked element, as well as giving it the aforementioned acidic effect. For instance, lightning evokationists would be able to launch black lightning, which upon impact would leave behind a small pool of the dark sludge.

Illusion:
No current addtions.

Alteration:
No current additions, spoiler below is up for debate.

Alteration is a bit of an iffy subject up to this day, as we've talked about it many times. In theory, an alterationist could use their ability of enchanting to shroud things in darkness semi-permanently, with the usual drawback of having to keep recharging it. They would also become able to transmute objects into the dark sludge, and then keep them in that state.

Telekinesis:
No real uses for telekinetics, other than a debatable black outline around lifted objects.

Conuration:
As has been commented above, the concept of combining shade magic with conjuration would involve shade-creatures. A shade conjurist would be able to conjure creatures that'd be made out of the shadows or shadow sludge (depending on the shade's tier). These beings would then act like any other conjured creature, yet also have the effect of the sludge.

Arcane evocation subtypes:
Arcane missiles and arcane shields would become dark, much like any other evocation. However they'd also gain the sludge-impact ability, shields in this case being able to block things and consume them.

And lastly, on its own shade magic will pretty much only be able to do what is described in the tier progression section. Shadow manipulation, orbs and tendrils and the like.

One will also note that the lore regarding how the gem was repaired should be hypothetical only as the individuals in question don't have the gem. It could, in theory, be repaired by another.

Indeed, the ritual given in the lore is only a concept we wish to thrive to accomplish. However, if another party is in possession of the shade gem at the time the lore gets accepted and is able to repair the shade gem through having 2 alterationists at T4 or above, as well as an already developed shade, they'd be able to do it too.

Im curious how Crumena got the shade gem, for as far as I recall it was in the possession of Sillir'Illume...

At this moment Silir'ilume is still in possession of the Shade gem.

Yes

Just

Yes

+1

I definitely like this, however I just cannot support this yet. Concept or not, the lore makes it far too obvious that the intent is for a specific group to be the ones to reactivate the gem, despite them not even having it. It could easily have been written to not state actual identities, thus making the intent of resurrecting not appear so much of a "I want this" thing. This wouldn't be the case if they actually had the gem- but when acquiring it and re-activating it is just a concept, I feel that particular part should be a bit more ambiguous.

Other than that, I'm really liking what I've read. Probably wouldn't hurt to expand even further upon what the magic actually does though, both individually and when mixing with other magics. I realize MrSythaerin has just extended this part, but personally- I'd like to see it go into ever further detail.

What would this deliver when combined with Frost witch magic? (both when in disguise and out of disguise, maybe even disguising.)

I definitely like this, however I just cannot support this yet. Concept or not, the lore makes it far too obvious that the intent is for a specific group to be the ones to reactivate the gem, despite them not even having it. It could easily have been written to not state actual identities, thus making the intent of resurrecting not appear so much of a "I want this" thing. This wouldn't be the case if they actually had the gem- but when acquiring it and re-activating it is just a concept, I feel that particular part should be a bit more ambiguous.

Other than that, I'm really liking what I've read. Probably wouldn't hurt to expand even further upon what the magic actually does though, both individually and when mixing with other magics. I realize MrSythaerin has just extended this part, but personally- I'd like to see it go into ever further detail.

We'll go into more detail were it to get accepted, when we'll make a guide. And about the concept, I'll talk to the rest of the team about it.

This contradicts so much of the original lore and what actually happened...but it's the MAT's decision, not mine. Though, I do have one question: Did Silir'ilume give the Shade Gem to Crumena?

EDIT: With the power of the gem and Rilath’s corrupt aura combined, he was able to corrupt the auras of his fledgling students and teach them what he had already come to learn

Please fix this, Salamandra only had one Shade apprentice, and one only.

Ho ho ho. Seems I wake up late to the party. Anyhow, better get to it then.

Yes, yes. Silir has the gem, yes. We are fully aware. I was the one attempting to mentor Silir in Sala's absence ICly until the MAT completely waltzed in and put a complete ban on Shade magic. As for a certain group re-claiming it? Far from. Elindor was a former Shade to a degree as well as myself. Everything past the mention of the Shade Gem shifting into a dormant state was lore written up for the explanation for why Silir was unable to further his training or any other could not transcend into a Shade. The rest was to be done ICly if the MAT had given us the green-light to do so.

As for furthering on the magic, without a doubt. That is obviously one of the area we are lacking in.

What
would this deliver when combined with Frost witch magic? (both when in
disguise and out of disguise, maybe even disguising.)

To be fair, I have no idea. I'll be working with Aislin, Silvos and possibly Elindor once he wakes up on making an heavily detailed guide on the effects of mixing Shade and a currently accepted form of magic together. As for your inquiry of Frost Witches, I haven't the slightest clue. We had an idea for what would occur with Water Evocation, but that still needs to be ironed out.

This
contradicts so much of the original lore and what actually
happened...but it's the MAT's decision, not mine. Though, I do have one
question: Did Silir'ilume give the Shade Gem to Crumena?

EDIT: With
the power of the gem and Rilath’s corrupt aura combined, he was able to
corrupt the auras of his fledgling students and teach them what he had
already come to learn

Please fix this, Salamandra only had one Shade apprentice, and one only.

Apologies Sala. I was actually trying to get ahold of you last night when we were
finalizing the lore. As for your request, without a doubt. I'll pop Elindor a message so he can edit the section when he wakes up.

What would happen if shade magic were combined with air evocation magic?

Just to avoid any possibly problems arising until we can work together to
create an in-depth section on a majority of the sub-types I'll PM you the details we had formulated in our Skype chat.

As the original creator of Shade magic, I support this redeux. It came out better than I expected when I was first asked to oversee it.

Also really like this lore better than the original, writing wise. All in all, great magic, good revision, and in my opinion should be re-implemented.

Although, there seems to be more needed to be done when it comes to what it does to other magics, I feel not a bad idea. We'll see, I suppose.

Yes please. Been a long while since I've seen this, and I am beyond pumped.

I give my support and undying faith.

Simply, yes. I really like the idea of having a complementary magic that helps add variety to the dark arts.