[Idea] Explanation On Elven Curse (Biology Explained)

MamaBearJade

Okay bare with me as I get physical.

I have been thinking about the various ways people have been playing the elven curse. According to lore you cant have a child except once every 10-15 years, maxing out at 5 children. So that means an elf under 100 can have all 5 children.

But this makes the infertility thing a bit confusing. Here is my explanation. Warning, if you haven't taken sex-ed, you may not want to read.

Women when they are born have only a certain number of eggs which they lose from puperty on, once a month. Yes, ew, girl stuff. But, this could easily explain things. Ovulation is different with each woman. Now, the oldest woman on record to give birth to a baby is 74 and the youngest was 5. Large difference in aging, so what does this say. Ovulation can start early and end late.

Elven mothers can be born with 10 eggs. Some mothers ovulate sooner losing their eggs and having their kids before 100 where as some ovulate much later losing their eggs by 500. This would allow elves the freedom of choosing when they have their children, maxing at 5 children, with the high chance of miscarriage.

Now as elves this would mean the males would be more able to children, and more often. While this is harder to control with basic biological explanations, we could allow them the more freedom, but with the added fallacy. Men would be more subject to the infertility forcing them to be more limited.

For much of my time on the server, I was told the males do not suffer the infertility issue like females, as the lore only states females. While this could be true, it would mean male elves are more willing to doom their race by creating half breeds than pure elven babies. Thus my idea for men would be their potency is a lot lower, meaning they would be required to try a /lot/ harder to match up with their elven mates to get the child.

Before you all crucify me on this let me make it simpler.

Female Elves have 10 eggs, with a 50% chance of miscarriage leading to a max of 5 children, regardless when they have the child, with ovulation only occurring as soon as 10 - 15 years.

Male Elves are less potent with their ability and have to time it properly with a female elf in order to create a child.

Half breeds get a small boost depending on the added race, but this would be more dependent on what the lore masters decide. Yes ew. Sorry. But it has been on my mind a lot lately.

Interesting and i do somewhat agree with this BUT in the end this is rarely something people will follow and i bet the infertility curse is simply when the player OOCly feels there is a need for an off spring rather than basing it on lore and waiting for rolls and what not. I doubt this can even be enforced too and i can whole heartily say i would not either, cause i don't agree with the curse/blessing in the first place. Albeit i would not mind if this could be enforced to combat the Elven humans situation. 

o-m-g-baby.gif

I genuinely thought that the curse was a magical sort of thing, like an unbreakable enchantment of sorts on the genetic codes of each race. I'm not sure the idea is specifically specific in the canon lore...

But, according to LotC's lore, half-breeds get 100% of BOTH curses afflicting their lives. ie Half elf half human would suffer infertility and a short human life, Half orc half dwarf would lust for both gold and blood, etc.

I genuinely thought that the curse was a magical sort of thing, like an unbreakable enchantment of sorts on the genetic codes of each race. I'm not sure the idea is specifically specific in the canon lore...

But, according to LotC's lore, half-breeds get 100% of BOTH curses afflicting their lives. ie Half elf half human would suffer infertility and a short human life, Half orc half dwarf would lust for both gold and blood, etc.

I know but it would be an actual biological reason as curse can affect the genes instead of just race.

I like the idea of it being magic rather than biologically explained :/

It's an unbreakable enchantment that isn't explained by science and we shouldn't strive to have it that way. It doesn't affect fertility in a biological/mutation-esque regard. It affects it because it's magic. If the curse would lifted the females wouldn't still have just 10 eggs or whatnot. 

Likewise the curse/enchantment so to speak, effects both sexes equally.

Server lore - Curse is magic, not science. Affects both equally.

It's an unbreakable enchantment that isn't explained by science and we shouldn't strive to have it that way. It doesn't affect fertility in a biological/mutation-esque regard. It affects it because it's magic. If the curse would lifted the females wouldn't still have just 10 eggs or whatnot. 

Likewise the curse/enchantment so to speak, effects both sexes equally.

Server lore - Curse is magic, not science. Affects both equally.

This is the stance of the Lore Team. Iblees cursed the mortals with magic, not genetic modification.

This is the stance of the Lore Team. Iblees cursed the mortals with magic, not genetic modification.

I accept that, just was something to help me understand the curse more on a biological level. It also helped (for me) to explain why some elves had kids every 10-15 years (or every year as one friend was doing) maxing at 5

In my opinion, you are talking about the chances of female elves getting pregnant. However, there are more complications to the elven curse than the ones you mentioned:

Following the bits of lore here and there we can assume getting pregnant is merely 30 - 40% of the curse's complications. During pregnancy, due to the curse, there are higher chances of having an abortion, or dying along with the child, before or during birth, than there is the chance of having a healthy child, implying there's still the child's health factor to be considered.
In addition, the hormonal situation of both, females and males, would set things up so attraction to the opposite sex is more likely to happen due to many factors, except hormonal (unless the female is ovulating). This is connected to the main issue at hand, which is sterility. This situation removes sexual attraction, and leaves nothing but whatever the individuals find interesting about their counterpart to actually spend the rest of their lives together.
To be simple: Elves are very unlikely to find each other attractive because they unconsciously seek a good match to preserve their species. Taking their long lives into account, their focus on preserving their species should be minimal, if not occasional.

With all this considered, you realize elves have no good reason to have sexual intercourses, because there is a high chance the female will die if she gets pregnant, and there is no strong hormonal activity that makes them sexually attractive, but merely physically or emotionally appealing.

My point? Most elves should stop acting like wild monkeys and act coherently to their situation. They really have no reason to be having sexual intercourses on an almost weekly basis, unless the couple is really desperate to have a child, which is risky. In addition, there would be no hormonal pleasure to make them feel "sex" is a rewarding experience. It is pointless, and would feel pointless. They wouldn´t get excited, they wouldn´t find it significantly important.

Scientific studies show that an infertile human being is not as sexually attractive as a fertile one. The background natural mental processes pretty much conclude there is no point in having sexual intercourses if their partner is highly unlikely to be capable of playing their role in the creation of an offspring.

Magic or not, this all still has an effect and acts in reaction to the magic curse. Magic is essentially another point of view of what science likes to study. They are two sides of the same coin, ladies and gentlemen.

(I'm happy I am finally able to explain all this so people can read it!)

It's a magical curse by a spiteful god. Don't think about it too hard, Jade. Elven women are just supposed to not have babies as much as humans, like makybe 1-4 in a lifetime if they continually try.

Some people understand better when it is explained with detail (like Jade did). The world won't explode if she thinks too hard about it. I believe she made this so people would understand how it works from a more technical way, which aids in the precision of their role-play. It's helpful, for many seem to ignore even the magic about it, they seem to not know or understand what the curse is about, and this really facilitates its asimilation.

Plus, some people already told her the same thing in the first page. There's no point in repeating the same thing over and over. No one's going to die if she explains the biology behind it.

Sure, the curse was magic, that is implied. However, it affects mortal beings biologically, so it is natural someone wants to explain it that way.

I have heard of the 10-15 year rule for elven births, but I have never seen it confirmed. I do not believe it is a rule, nor ever has been. However, if you want a decent way to represent elven infertility, here is a few superior methods--

a) If you are in an elven community, don't ever have a child when there are other children around.

b) If you are an elf in a non-elven community, don't have children (as there will likely be plenty around anyway).

c) Just don't ever have children!

Want lotsa babbies? Make a human, dwarf, or orc! If you wish to be a nigh-immortal creature with the wisdom of centuries, be an elf!

You shouldn't have both, dawg!

I have heard of the 10-15 year rule for elven births, but I have never seen it confirmed. I do not believe it is a rule, nor ever has been. However, if you want a decent way to represent elven infertility, here is a few superior methods--

a) If you are in an elven community, don't ever have a child when there are other children around.

b) If you are an elf in a non-elven community, don't have children (as there will likely be plenty around anyway).

c) Just don't ever have children!

Want lotsa babbies? Make a human, dwarf, or orc! If you wish to be a nigh-immortal creature with the wisdom of centuries, be an elf!

You shouldn't have both, dawg!

Well said!

Man, you should totally go for Eyebrowmancy.