The Mystics Of Yuan [Magic Lore]

BrandNewKitten

The Mystics of Yuan

A healing Sub-type

~"Their Aenguldaemon is Tahariea, but they name him Yuan. They are merely a sect of clerical healing that does not breach the bounds of normal clerical healing."~

Basic Understanding:

The waters of Yuan is a clerical magic that will be RPly based around the newly forming wood elven family taking on the new name, mystics, due to a lack of cultural mingling during the beginnings of this holy magic.Unlike most normal clerics, mystics work in a very different way because the mystics have culturally used water as the medium for their healing. Something they have merely developed for themselves.

Also unlike other Patrons is how Yuan is revered culturally. He is not thought to be a god or an aengul by his followers but instead an aspect of nature, one of water and cleansing. One to guide them. It is because of this that Yuan is commonly referred to as a water spirit and takes on characteristics similar to clerics and druids the culture's artwork.

(Again he is not. This is simply how the culture has come to understand this deity)

It is believed that Yuan's magic is too powerful to allow the mystic to use their body alone as the conduit for the magic so the mystic relies on water and an amulet in order to balance/control and concentrate the blessings.

How it works:

The mystic does not have water evocation. The reason I used the word “medium” is because in order to cast the blessing the mystic must use already existing water. These are simply clerics who have learned  to use holy magic through a conduit instead of directly.

Upon prayer to Yuan, the mystic would receive the ability to cast his holy light. Before we go from casting the prayer to blessing the water there is something else that is needed. A conduit for the deities power. This being some amulet fashioned from wood of the willow trees that grow along the riverbank. The carved wood acts as the final part and is an integral part of the blessing. The way the power flows looks like this;

Yuan -> mystic of Yuan  -> wood amulet -> Water

So in effect the blessing cannot be cast unless the mystic has the wood amulet to help draw the power, acting as a conduit. Without it the mystic would just be offering a prayer to Yuan and nothing more. This is only due to a mental block but no one would know this ICly. 

The blessed water:

Depending on the size of the body of water the mystic can do a few things. First off the blessing when transferred to the water makes it begin to shine a bright white and as long as the mystic keeps up the prayer the water will continue to illuminate. Along with this is is noted that the way one can tell if a mystic is currently accessing Yuan’s power is to look at their eyes. If casting the mystic’s eyes will begin to glow a bright white, they will often stop regular speech in turn for a mantra or song and will likely be immobile as they concentrate.

If say it is in a bottle the mystic would be able to bless it and as long as they can keep their focus be able to use the illumination from the blessed bottled water as a light in dark spaces.

The more water there is the more still the mystic will need to be. If a mystic were to say try to bless part of a stream they would need to enter a trance-like state, becoming immobile as their prayer continues.

Once blessed the water is in control of the mystic which allows them to guide it to the wound or affliction of an individual or even to a withering plant. The mystic is moving the blessing, not the water itself. The only reason the water is able to be moved is because it latches onto the blessing which causes loose control to be granted. This means that the mystic cannot freeze or heat water or use it as a whip, etc...

The blessed water heals wounds, helps cure disease and if poured onto blight will diminish the effect of it/remove it, calm mental illnesses, and other things much like a regular mystic would. It is important to note that this blessing cannot hurt mortals unless their souls have been corrupted. If they have been corrupted or are of dark origins the waters of Yuan attempt to cleanse them often consuming the darkness and/or killing the being if too heavily afflicted (ie shades, necromancers, death knights, undead). If not corrupted the water feels like a silk when it touches the skin making it unable to be used as a weapon besides the point of the mystic being highly immobile.

Here is a list of negatively affected entities:

-Undead (Iblees and stuff) - Tainted with Dark Magic, Holy magic damages them

-Necromancers - Not tainted, their creations are Dark magic, but they themselves aren't. (On here for continuity)
-Liches - Creature created from Dark Magic, Holy magic Damages them
-Ghouls - Creature created from Dark Magic, Holy magic Damages them
-Wraiths - Creature created from Dark Magic, Holy magic Damages them
-Actualy undead, zombies, skeletons. - Creature created from Dark Magic, Holy magic Damages them
-Spirits - Unnatural spirit of a dead person, Cleric magic can damage them.
-Dread knights. - Creature created from Dark Magic, Holy magic Damages them
-Wights - Creature created from Dark Magic, Holy magic Damages them

Scourge born - Tainted person with dark magic, holy magic harms them, but they can be healed. It just causes them pain.

Shade - Not really sure on Shade, but probably it would be somewhat like Scourge born. They have an unnatural taint in them, but they are still mortal. Healing magic would harm them, but the healing effect would happen as well.

Soulbound Golems - Soul stuck to a Core, Holy magic would have powers against it.

Chimeras and Homunculu - Unnatural creations through alchemy, Holy magic damages them.

A sidenote on corruption: Beings afflicted by corruption (Shades) are able to seek rebirth through this magic. They are able to be cleansed over time by the magic if done applied to them in moderation. The longer, more powerful the corruption to the soul, the longer it will take to cleanse it. The process is painful as the blessing literally attacks and devours the corruption. Those afflicted would not even start to feel the soothing effects until the later stages of their spiritual cleansing. Willing corrupted individuals will have a difficult time surviving. Unwilling even more so. It is not impossible to cleanse a restrained individual but it is highly likely that it will kill them first.

It is the lack of mobility and dependency on a water source that makes it likely for mystics of Yuan to have a temple in which they can perform healing prayers and bath victims in the blessed waters.

It is also important but not necessary for the mystic to have physical contact with the body of water. They will find it much more effective to have their bodies along with the amulet touching the water they wish to bless.

The Order of Yuan:

Simply put there are five titles within the Order of Yuan. This will be the guideline that the order is set up on in RP.

~~~

Naiad: The chosen oracle of Yuan. They are the one to directly commune with the Patron in order to pick who is allowed the blessing.

Limniad: mystics of Yuan that are receiving his blessing.

Nymph: These aren’t mystics of Yuan but offer their assistance in the order. They are water evocationists that forfeit their ability to use Yuan’s blessing but still hold him as their patron. They usual assist mystics of Yuan.

Sylph: Wanderers who have taken Yuan as their Patron but are either not recieving access to his blessing or not part of the order and not recieving the blessing.

Fay: This is someone who has been exiled from the order either by the Naiad or by Yuan himself for committing unholy deeds.

~~~

Yuan communes with the Naiad of the order to pick Limniads to give access to his blessing from the prospecting Sylphs. While the patron acknowledges the existence of those praying it is the Naiad telling the patron that one wishes for his gift that allows the stream of power to flow, granting the individual access to mysticism. It is because of this that one must be apart of the order in order to receive his blessing. Yuan is very attuned to the workings of the world, especially the details regarding his following so if one were to leave the order or become corrupted their power would be cut off by the Patron. Holy magic does not work if the user has become unholy.

In order to gain or regain the blessing of Yuan the Sylph or even Fay may begin to seek the mystics of the order in order to perform ritual baptisms in the blessed water in order to seek enlightenment as well as cleansing the soul.

Mystics are usually exclusively linked to Yuan (Tahariae) and it is culturally taboo to learn both mysticism and arcane magic.

What’s the point?

This is simply to promote other types of RP within the wood elven culture. You want to play a shaman? Cool go join the orcs. You want to play a runesmith? Great make a dwarf. You want to have the power to heal people with water? Make an elf that works with the wood elven culture. While these wood elves, or not wood elves, technically would falter from the bronze law, in their eyes they may simply interpret it in a different manner should they wish to go with the consequences. They may follow the culture but also recognize the light of Yuan and use him as their guide.

It’s healing is conventionally the same power as a regular cleric but there are drawbacks that make it unique. This is meant to be an order of cleric-like characters who are taking a unique spin on healing magic. It makes the players playing these mystics to be reliant on the order for their magic as well as a source and an amulet which is something that I have been wishing to see more of for quite a while as well as having an order dedicated to the magic while not having all the members of the order be the same. There are different roles so someone who wants to be in the order can without having to deal with the magic.

RED LINES:

-Cannot regrow limbs

-Cannot be unholy/unnatural being

-Cannot cast without the amulet or a water source external to a body.

-Cannot kill non-corrupted beings

-Cannot move and cast the blessing on bodies of water larger than a bottle

-Must emote fatigue just like any other magic

-Not evocation of shamanism. Cannot mentally move water that isn't blessed. 

Basically:

Mystics are those who follow the Patron Yuan (Who is really just Tahariae in a distinct culture that developed the clerical gift into their own form of healing.) and use his gift to cleanse and heal. They hold the powers of clerics but need an amulet to cast and they bless water to give it advanced healing properties. Once blessed the water illuminates. They can also perform exorcisms or cleanse tainted souls slowly over time using bathing rituals.

Maybe these healers would take on some sort of physical transformation? Subtle like dryads, making them look more fae-like and water-spirit-ey, but still wood elves.

+1 overall, though.

I like the Idea, but i think there needs to be more to this than, healing with water. otherwise what is the point? just to give a tiny extra ability.  healing with water. So my suggestion is maybe come up with some more things they could do, your cons outway the pros, and people would just go and be a cleric not bothering with this.  Until this is more Developed i cannot support 

I like the Idea, but i think there needs to be more to this than, healing with water. otherwise what is the point? just to give a tiny extra ability.  healing with water. So my suggestion is maybe come up with some more things they could do, your cons outway the pros, and people would just go and be a cleric not bothering with this.  Until this is more Developed i cannot support 

I don't know. I don't believe all magic has to be all-powerful to be successful. The main point about this magic is not the magic, it's the RP involving the order. It can do what clerics do but simply uses water instead. While that is a drawback from clerics I also really like it being a challenge. If you have any abilities you would like to suggest I would be happy to hear them out.

This looks really nice, and I like how if roleplayed correctly it's definitely not overpowered. It kind of looks like what Katara did in The Last Airbender with the magic-y heal-y water thing.

The Order itself contains two "blessed" ranks, but if there's only one naiad wouldn't it be hard for it to grow as an overall rp? Maybe have the Naiad and then a middleman type rank between that and Limniad?

Finally, it kind of gives off the impression it's made only for wood elves, not other elves. Would it be hard for a High Elf or a Dark Elf to become one?

Seems cool, but I'm pretty sure the Lore Team is opposed to forms of healing magic other than that strictly based around the Clerical Order or its patron. Then again, this ought to be fully allowable within the current magic system regardless of their preference. We'll see what happens to it I suppose, but it sounds pretty dope.

This looks really nice, and I like how if roleplayed correctly it's definitely not overpowered. It kind of looks like what Katara did in The Last Airbender with the magic-y heal-y water thing.

The Order itself contains two "blessed" ranks, but if there's only one naiad wouldn't it be hard for it to grow as an overall rp? Maybe have the Naiad and then a middleman type rank between that and Limniad?

Too many ranks makes things more complicated than it needs to be. Orders and guilds usually have one leader anyways.

Finally, it kind of gives off the impression it's made only for wood elves, not other elves. Would it be hard for a High Elf or a Dark Elf to become one?

No it's about the same. This will just start around the wood elves.

I really do like this idea. Good non-combat magic. +1

How were you able to post something in this section of the forums? Probably Dev forum rank.

I'll move it to the roleplay idea section.

No comment still on the magic details, haven't read it yet.

Looks good to me.

Seems cool, but I'm pretty sure the Lore Team is opposed to forms of healing magic other than that strictly based around the Clerical Order or its patron. Then again, this ought to be fully allowable within the current magic system regardless of their preference. We'll see what happens to it I suppose, but it sounds pretty dope.

Preferences don't have anything to do with it. That's part of the reason why there's a Lore Team rather than just Rittsy. Besides, the Ascended can do healing, druids have it in the form of herbalism and stuff and just about anyone can do it with alchemy.

If you see anything being denied based solely on preference then challenge it. Stuff should only be denied when there's a reason its implementation would be detrimental. Lore serves the players, not the other way around.

Besides, we don't actually decide what gets implemented any more, we just make sure there isn't anything wrong with it.

This is phenomenal. New patron? Check. doesn't use Clerical Light for healing? Check. Holy Symbol (Amulet)? Check. Presumed guild lock? Check.

This should be the example for new patron lores, rather than having every patron use Clerical Light to heal. You have my +1!

I think there needs to be more clarification on what a water spirit actually is in this context, otherwise confusion with the water spirits of Shamanism is to be expected.