Sign in to follow this  
TarreBear

Community Newsletter- March

70Md8G7x1DLg5Z239m9fM5j9agWMzSydnokEeg9x

cvDrY_xRNKwr7HdqbB5dofFQPTroKuALk6vmxGOe

The Month of February

Hello everybody,

Welcome to Arcas. I hope you all are enjoying the map and are having a great time exploring. In addition, I hope you had a great time on the transition map.  Shout out to all the builders who took part in the creation of the temp map, Serrimor and Xarkly for doing events throughout the transition. In addition, another big shout out and thank you to all those who have worked on Arcas over the past year. February has been an extremely busy month for everyone as we’ve been preparing the final touches for 7.0. A couple of big changes and announcements have gone out this month so please take the time to read and update yourself on all of the recent happenings as we move forward!

Notable News

The latest and greatest on Lord of the Craft.

Nations & Charter Information

I know many people are eager to get land and start their guilds, settlements, taverns, etc. This post linked in the title of the section is where you can find all of your information about how to obtain charters. This post also details how in which you go about gaining nation status and how nation status can be revoked. Please read and look over the maps thoroughly so the moderation team can help you as swiftly and easily as possible. In addition, a small reminder that independent charters cannot be placed inside the charter ring!

Moderation Update Pt. 2

This announcement by the moderation team is a big one! One of the main takeaways from this post is that raids will not be allowed for the first two weeks post-launch of 7.0. In addition, warclaims will not be reviewed or accepted for 1-month post-launch!

7.0 Moderation Update Pt. 3

The moderation team had quite a bit of updates to inform you all about this month. This update answers many of the questions you may have going into 7.0! If you have any questions, look there as it is probably answered. If your question is not answered reach out to a Moderator for help!

Team Updates

The freshest scoop from the Team Directors themselves—learn all you can about your favorite teams.

Development Team

The Development Team has been hard at work, as usual, preparing for 7.0. The builders on the team have been putting the final touches and ensuring the map is prepared for everyone. Additionally, the technicians have been busy updating the plugins and ensuring everything on the technical side of the server is ready for launch! Some information new from the Techs can be found here in this lovely update: Tech Update February/ 7.0/ 1.13

Moderation Team

The Moderation Team has also been very hard at work preparing for Arcas. They have been assisting the development team with aspects of the map and ensuring all of our systems are organized and ready to go. Over the last couple of weeks, they have released a number of update posts where you can find a bunch of important information regarding the team and the things you need to know going into 7.0! Here is their fully monthly update long for more information on what is happening with the Moderation team:   Moderation Update Log

Moderation Update Pt.1
Moderation Update Pt. 2
Moderation Update Pt. 3

Community Team

The Community Team has been getting themselves prepared to put some new systems in motion starting 7.0. The team has been working on a number of projects including Pots and Pandits, The New Player Guide (soon to be released), Tailor's guild, and more. In addition, some of you may have already seen some Community Team Members walking about in monk skins. More information regarding that, the other projects, and everything the team has been working on this month in more detail can be found here:   Community Team Monthly Update - Feb

Story Team

The Story Team is currently in its final stages of being prepared. We are in the process of moving members of the ET/LT/WT over to the Story Team. This weekend, Flamboyant will begin going through Story Team applications to recruit a few more members. Once this is done, the Story Team will fully launch. A thread will be made when this occurs, detailing our focus for the next few months on each front (events/lore/wiki). For now here is some information Flam put out regarding 7.0 if you have yet to read! Flam’s 7.0 Info

Trendy Feedback

Our crack team of gobos compiles, analyses, and critiques our feedback forums for the top-echelon of community suggestions. We’ve picked out some of the most unique, noteworthy, and civil articles from this month.

Promote Good Combat RP, Please.

AgentMemory laments a roleplay encounter where they suffered a loss following a one-emote attack and the following mechanical combat. In the  community guidelineswe suggest that only by leading by example can we fix the issues we see in this server. We recommend that instead of deferring poor roleplay to mechanical methods—please assist your fellow player and foster a mature and helpful roleplay environment. If you encounter rule-breaking roleplay or poor emoting, help out the poor lads and show them the appropriate behaviour. If it doesn’t work out, please seek out Staff assistance. Community & Moderation Staff would love to assist in these cases.

How to Calm the Snow Elf Uprising

Snow Elves and several other selectable persona races were cleared during a technical reorganization of subraces. Snow elven leadership wrote regarding the matter and made their position clear: they hold that this change would be significantly damage their race activity. The Administration will consider additional ways nations can recruit new and dependable folk without relying on a tag, as not all future nations would have this privilege. In addition, we will hold on to the discussion regarding what signifies a subrace and whether we should be thinking in terms of “subrace” altogether, and perhaps get rid of the term for something generally more practical.

The odds against the minority

In this post, Chromie speaks out about what they believe is ‘creativity’ what the rules refer to as ‘glitching’. We agree, the actions themselves are not so much ‘glitching’ as they are a clever use of Minecraft mechanics. However, in the spirit of roleplay, we disagree that such entry or use of mechanics is in line with our philosophy. We may investigate additional ways for raiding parties to obtain entry, but promise nothing yet.

Discord widget & forum cleaning

This is a short post which brings the need for the discord widget to be returned to the forums in order for our discord to be easily accessible players, especially those who are new to the server. In addition, this post sparked some comments concerned the outdated front page. All of this we are aware of and are we are currently working towards having the front page revamped as it is well overdue. In addition, the widget was added back to the forums!

The Player Province

Community Spotlight

Bright, committed, and talented people fill our community. With the community spotlight, we highlight one individual that stands out this month. This player engages the laid-back attitude, charitable spirit, and proactive nature hailed in our community guidelines. For this reason, we congratulate them for their hard-earned achievements!

Aeldrin

This individual has been selected as our Community Spotlight for their good work teaching players about lore regarding Snow Elves and have been a great help to our newer players. Your kindness and help towards the community is greatly appreciated and is what makes our community grow and thrive! Here is a little interview we had with Aeldrin.

Interview

Tell us about yourself and your history on LoTC.

Aeldrin: Quite an open-ended question haha. Well, I'll just go over my history on LotC I suppose. I joined mid-Asulon as a random human peasant and soon found myself in the Order of the White Rose. I did that for about 6 months, before running off and making a dwarf b/c I thought a certain player named skippy was a pretty cool dude. I played a dwarf with Urguan up until mid-Anthos, when I went back to the humans to play a noble at the invitation of Aetosion and Harold. Ultimately, it was during this period that I decided I wanted to go off and do my own thing. I saw the state of Malinor and chalked it up to bad leadership, so I began the several year-long pushes for introducing Snow Elves that culminated in our subracialhood nearly a year or so ago. Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm fairly passionate about the Snow Elves - both as an rp group and as an ooc group of friends. They've made these past few years a blast through better or worse, and despite playing a bandit character here or there, I've mained a Snow Elf ever since !

What is like to play a Snow Elf and what is it like being apart of the Snow Elven Community?

Aeldrin: Playing a Snow Elf is certainly the best experience I've had on the server, but of course I'm biased because I've been allowed to tailor Snow Elven rp to my personal tastes. It's not for everyone, admittedly. Due to such a long history of rp conflicts, we keep almost entirely to ourselves but get plenty of visitors. I think I left Fenn about twice on my Snow Elf for the entirety of Atlas. Fortunately, I've had the company of a lot of great rpers there. Military-oriented RP is big in Fenn, as are slice of life and political rp. Religious rp will become much more relevant on Arcas as well, with the release of some new writings. Being apart of the Snow Elven community is a lot like being part of one large family. We're definitely one of the closest communities on LotC, and we're very welcoming of bringing new players into that fold. Whether it's LotC, or bedwars, or just chatting, there are just about always a dozen people in our voice chats. Obviously I'm biased here lol, but all of those guys are close friends and great people.

Lastly, what are you excited for going into Arcas?

Aeldrin: A change of scenery is always really nice. Personally, I think I'm most excited for having Fenn be about 5 minutes away from the Cloud Temple, instead of a 30-minute hike. I think that will do wonders for our rp. I'm very proud of our new city and the work our builders put into it, and encourage anyone who's interested to check out the trailer we recently launched for it. Each map has seen the Fennic community grow in number, so I'm excited for all the fresh faces this map will bring, and looking forward to some good rp!

Outstanding Staff Award

We present this accolade to an exceptional staff member. We are honored and humbled that they choose our team and our server. And this month the award goes to...

Bluee & Jenny_Bobbs

This month the Outstanding Staff Award goes to two very hardworking individuals! Bluee & Jenny_Bobbs worked very hard delivering everyone one of our best Map Trailers. In addition, they have been working hard on the Community Team going above and beyond helping anywhere they can. Both of them consistently volunteer and dedicate their hard work and time to produce great content and we can’t wait to see what more is to come. Thank you both for all that you do!
7.0 Trailer

i7yXI6IKE8qSlYVyCQFmMRJfdofnf8zaae_h7LXi

Top VIP

The truth is that without the funds to cover our monthly costs we cannot support this wonderful experience. I think I speak for all of us when I say, thank you to our wonderful contributors. To the greatest VIP contributor this month we bid our humble gratitude and a spotlight in our newsletter.

Safryie

This month Safryie has made the largest contribution to our server. Your support to the server is greatly appreciated!

Guide Spotlight

One way to lend a service to your community is writing a guide! Bold players write them for a targeted audience and share expertise, commentary, tips. We present to you a compelling, practical, and ambitious guide written this month!

Combat Roleplay- The Game of Loss

This is a brilliant post written by PuddleMancerPro regarding Combat Roleplay or CRP. They go through a lot of details pertaining to this type of roleplay including, losing, unfairness, movement, and they gave great tips to help improve your roleplay. CRP is an area of roleplay that many players find difficult or have frustrations with, therefore this post is very helpful and I highly suggest everyone give it a read. Thank you so much for your work and we can’t wait to see what more comes from Puddle!

Roleplay Spotlight

When we think roleplay often we immediately look to our fantastic Minecraft experience. Nonetheless! We are proud of you, our authors, who produce innumerable works—none the lesser, many are amusing, stimulating, and impactful. We’ve chosen one among the many creative posts this month.

The Lady of Serpentwoods

This is a short well-written roleplay post by Luxury about their characters transition to 7.0. They share the experiences and thoughts of their character leaving behind her home, memories, and possessions as they were forced out of the lands of Atlas. It is a nice little read that I suggest taking a glance at!

Overall February was a good month for us as we worked hard putting together 7.0 for all of you to enjoy. I am sure March is going to be another month full of hard work and good content. I hope everyone is having a great time on Arcas. Apologies for being a little bit late with this one, its been a busy week for me. I hope you enjoyed and we will see you all again for another community newsletter next month!

Have fun, take care, and thank you all,

LotC Administration

Amazing job, keep them coming! Especially liked the interview. Hopefully March and the April newsletter hold some news for Alchemy and the Alchemy plugin!

What criteria do you look for in a person when selecting:

1. Interviewed player of the month.
  2. Best performing staff member of the month.

5 hours ago, Harrison said:

What criteria do you look for in a person when selecting:

1. Interviewed player of the month.
  2. Best performing staff member of the month.

a. Selecting the community spotlight is pretty difficult cause its not like i can breathe down everyone thats online’s neck to see what they’re up to. However, right now I am trying to pick a person from each race/group every month and looking for someone who has been really good whether itd be taking initiative to make nice rp experiences with others, actively helping new players and helping them get integrated into the server, and helping other people learn more about the server and aspects of lore etc.

b. When it comes to the staff members I look for individuals that have been going a bit above and beyond in that particular month. Or someone we have seen that is consistently working hard, actively participating in discussions and projects etc. 

46 minutes ago, TarreBear said:

a. Selecting the community spotlight is pretty difficult cause its not like i can breathe down everyone thats online’s neck to see what they’re up to. However, right now I am trying to pick a person from each race/group every month and looking for someone who has been really good whether itd be taking initiative to make nice rp experiences with others, actively helping new players and helping them get integrated into the server, and helping other people learn more about the server and aspects of lore etc.

b. When it comes to the staff members I look for individuals that have been going a bit above and beyond in that particular month. Or someone we have seen that is consistently working hard, actively participating in discussions and projects etc. 

i mean of course you look for ‘above and beyond’ but what exactly does that constitute – it makes sense this year, since these people put work into making a trailer that impressed you guys, but from here on out is it just gonna be ‘handled the most modreqs’ or ‘talked to the most new players’ because i dont see how variation will really occur within the staff teams. and as far as my knowledge of how the structure and attitude is in the staff body right now, things like individual creative projects are pretty unreasonably hard to pull off so eventually it’s just going to be a numbers contest

also, i think you should try to look for more qualities in a player than ‘they were really good this month!’ because that’ll just be the same kinda thing every week. you should look to see if there’s old veteran players, returning to play, and see what they think of the server compared to their ‘favourite’ time on the server. interview people who historically have been antagonist/villainous character players and see what they think of the current systems in place. ask magic/creature roleplayers what they think of the current lore changes and how things are being handled. select a new player that joined within the last two weeks and ask them for their first impressions on the server. suggest a topic and ask players to put their name forwards to discuss it even. with that you can not only create something that people might be excited to read (”oh man i wonder what cool_player_62 said!”) but you can use it as a feedback opportunity, allowing some kinda discussion to bloom from it and get realistic opinions from people who might not be too vocal, and really explore what the community thinks. people will discuss it with you, in their chats after reading it and on the forums.

i mean sorry that was my dog lol

Oh hey, I did something.