Your View - Firearms on LotC

Archipelego

Your View - Firearms on LotC  

482 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in roleplay firearms have a place on Lotc?

• Yes (Comment your reasoning down below.)
    • No (Comment your reasoning down below.)

23 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

Roleplay Rules

All Musket Weapons (Rifle, Blunderbuss, Pistol) must be built In-Game via Roleplay by a Gunsmith (A station that can be entered via application.) who will generate a Named and ET/GM certified item.

To Roleplay using a gun, you Must have the MC Item or the RP will not be considered Valid.

Musket Roleplay Steps

Withdraw a Cartridge, and Bite the tail off. Half Cock the Musket, Open the pan and pour half the powder charge in. Shut the pan.

Lay the Musket upwards, (Rifle Butt on the Ground, Pistol up into the air) and pour another powder charge down the barrel. Insert the Bullet into the Barrel. Push the Cartridge Paper into the Barrel.

Remove the Ramrod and push the Bullet and Paper into the breach. Put the Ramrod back. Lift the Musket, and pull back on the Dogshead (Flint Holder, Cock it.)

Fire!

Musket Rollplay Steps

As RP isn’t perfect, and a verdict cannot always be agreed upon - There is a system of Rollplay to fall back on if an agreement can’t be made.

If the Shooter is 10+ Blocks away, roll for Accuracy.

0-10 is a Miss.

10-15 is a Hit.

15-19 is an accurate hit.

20 is a Critical hit.

If the Target is at close Range, 2 Blocks away or less, you do not need to roll to hit. Instead, Roll for damage. 

0-10, normal damage.

10-19, high damage.

20 is Critical damage.

When you fire a Gunpowder weapon, you must announce over #s 

[!] A Gunshot echoes over the Landscape. [!]

guns serve the same purpose that crossbows do but are just ‘’’’cooler’’’’ to the na players on the server

they would be balanced the same and hardly anything would change if that was the case

but i’d rather not have them so cringe kids dont just run around doing gang driveby roleplay on the roads 

My thoughts on the subject that I have stated multiple times is why not have a Transition period. What this would entail, would be to allow a slow evolution of firearms by way of a transition. We already know that crossbows can fire an arrow Irp, and we know of the existence of gunpowder. Maybe begin with something similar to the firelance. What this is, is a literal lance, with a tube of Bamboo, in this tube of bamboo would be filled with gunpowder, a wick, and would fire glass shards at high speeds. Much like a Glass shotgun. Work from there towards bringing flintlocks, maybe say over the course of a map, this allows events to be made to bring in the introduction of each, or to simply allow players to evolve it naturally. All in all however, I am in favor of bringing guns to LoTC. 

cant wait for based red caps

no techlock

Yes. Personally, I'll probably never use a firearm in roleplay, I much prefer pretending to be a guy with a sword. But one of the servers largest playerbases very strongly wants firearms. Why shouldn't they have them? Because other communities dont like them? Ha, those communities need to realise that someone else's fun doesnt need to infringe on their own. I myself had to come to that realisation. So introduce firearms. The people who like them will use them, the people who don't, won't. And I'm very sure that the firearm yes and the firearm no crowds will be very strongly based around community lines; I'm sure that whilst there will be commonplace firearms in Oren and amongst the dwarves, there will be very rarely or never firearms amongst the elves for example. This is based on conjecture, but probably true, and means that the people who dont like firearms most likely will rarely, if ever, see them irp. So introduce firearms and let people enjoy themselves, the yes/no split is roughly 50/50 anyway. 

5 minutes ago, FlareGunCalamity said:

-snip-

Like this is well researched and stuff, and I see the point you’re making, but I take a few issues with it:

1. Elves, Dwarves, Orcs and Halflings don’t exist irl, yet they exist on lotc. Clearly the setting doesn’t adequately align with various concepts related to irl history, thus the fact that economic and political advancement to post-feudalism is a moot point. Things don’t have to advance in the same way for the same reasons.
  2. Which leads me to this point- we have magic and alchemical advancements on lotc which obviously don’t exist irl. In some capacity you could even argue that the prerequisites for post-feudal society could hinge upon magic and alchemy instead.

I voted no but mines more of a contingency based no, if guns were added presumably it would lead to people running around with pre-loaded firearms and insta-shotting people. Regardless of anything, buff magic if firearms are added because right now magic is basically **** and useless due to the excessive cucking of the LT to the very people crying out for the tech lock to be removed but also wishing for magic to be basically useless. So my position is, you add guns, buff magic to be useful in combat without having to wait a ******* year to charge a spell.

(I presently do not have or play any characters with magic, I just think Magic should be worth a damn)

muskets have the same potential for being misused and powergamed as crossbows. are crossbows allowed? yes. if there can be magic, there can be firearms (pre-19th century). anyone who disagrees either has magic and doesnt want to be devalued or is too hung up on the model ‘’’medieval fantasy’’’ despite the fact that the biggest propagator of ‘’’medieval’’’ roleplay on the server has been roleplaying cultures and values that are post-renaissance since 2015 lol.

Damn.. people are trying to keep us living in dirt and mud huts to preserve their theme of a medieval server. Perhaps we should enact serfdom and not let anyone leave their own tile to embody a true medieval server. Perhaps enforce the institution of feudalism on the High Elves? The vast majority of people did not read in the medieval era, and we should not allow them to have public libraries.

This entire thread is people complaining about things that will not affect them. A gun is as strong as a bow or crossbow mechanically however a great deal of these people complaining can conjure a comet to obliterate me.

It’s just a flavor addition and plenty of fantasy experiences have some sort of firearms associated with them. I’m still going to shoot Arthur Callahan in the head when I find him whether you like it or not

39 minutes ago, Ryloth said:

No. I play LoTC for the fantasy qualities, and firearms break a level of immersion into that fantasy aspect I don’t desire. The powdered wig flintlock RP push is goofy and doesn’t align with the server theme.

Ryloth, I love you man, but this is one of the most pathetic arguments I ever hear about this topic. I’d rather people who are anti firearm just be honest and say ‘I personally don’t like them’ rather than try to wrap that fact in these pseudo-altruistic justifications.

The ‘theme’ of the server, or rather the world that people join the server to partake in, is almost entirely in the eye of the beholder. That is largely because the world of LotC has no consistent theme anymore, and it hasn’t since 2011. As a creative platform, people have gone so off in different directions that a unifying theme is practically non-existent. The idea that introducing gunpowder will upend some carefully curated ‘server theme’ is bizarre – it doesn’t exist! Everybody has a different idea of it and despite what some people would claim, there is no ‘orthodox’ theme. You can’t pin down something as abstract as that. 

People do largely what they want, according to what will motivate them to create and build. As a community, we tend to have this quasi-pluralistic ‘live and let live’ mentality towards different communities and player-bases. If they’re not affecting us, they do what they want. It doesn’t matter how ridiculous or ‘not on theme’ something is (Obviously there are general boundaries – boundaries which firearms are well and truly within!) – if you don't like it that much, you don’t engage with it. One of the things that upsets me the most about this debate is that this is a courtesy extended to every RP group on the server, no matter how objectively horrific, but is one that is never extended to people who want a different type of flavor through firearms in RP.

I don’t get a say over the fact that you role-play a bipedal, talking cat, no matter how much it might break my immersion or be misaligned with my view of the server theme. 

PS: I can name a dozen fantasy universes where firearms co-exist with elves, armor, swords, dwarves, magic, pixies etc. At this point, this is completely void. We know that all of these things can co-exist in a balanced world with firearms – almost more of them have firearms than don’t. So why are we beating this dead horse as opposed to tackling the substance of the matter? 

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn-o.

I think LOTC always should have a sort of lost era feeling to it. I think crossbows are actually pushing the limits of what we should be doing. It’s a fantasy, too many real world things would just make it feel wrong.

gib rep

Kek.jpg

5 minutes ago, Will (TauFirewarrior) said:

I voted no but mines more of a contingency based no, if guns were added presumably it would lead to people running around with pre-loaded firearms and insta-shotting people. Regardless of anything, buff magic if firearms are added because right now magic is basically **** and useless due to the excessive cucking of the LT to the very people crying out for the tech lock to be removed but also wishing for magic to be basically useless. So my position is, you add guns, buff magic to be useful in combat without having to wait a ******* year to charge a spell.

(I presently do not have or play any characters with magic, I just think Magic should be worth a damn)

If we’re speaking mechanically, crossbows already allow pre-loading.

If we’re speaking in CRP, you just ban pre-loading as powergaming the same way we banned pre-loading for crossbows waaaay back in 2012.

People just want muskets and stuff for flavour. Mechanically they should be represented as crossbows and therefore function the same as them. As for CRP they should be given strict rules to make them basically the same as or only slightly better than crossbows are in CRP right now. Then they can co-exist with swords and other weapons the same way they do in World of Warcraft and Warhammer. 

Also it’s ridiculous to suggest that magic is “basically useless”. EVERY SINGLE EVENT resolves with some mage, or mages, saving the day while the corporeal weapons are useless.

I voted no because frankly it seems like it could be a HUGE mistake. While I do believe gunpowder should be usable in explosions and the like (I MEAN SERIOUSLY MAGICIANS USE EXPLOSIONS GUNPOWDER IS MORE LOGICAL THAN THEIR MAGIC) I do not believe creating guns and the like would be beneficial to the server. It would be the equivalent of handing every single person on the server a magic wand to kill one another with. It would lead to chaos in rp, and honestly would not give us the ‘feel’ of LOTC. Eventually we’d be living in the wild wild west or some **** smh

3 minutes ago, Esterlen said:

Ryloth, I love you man, but this is one of the most pathetic arguments I ever hear about this topic. I’d rather people who are anti firearm just be honest and say ‘I personally don’t like them’ rather than try to wrap that fact in these pseudo-altruistic justifications.

The ‘theme’ of the server, or rather the world that people join the server to partake in, is almost entirely in the eye of the beholder. That is largely because the world of LotC has no consistent theme anymore, and it hasn’t since 2011. As a creative platform, people have gone so off in different directions that a unifying theme is practically non-existent. The idea that introducing gunpowder will upend some carefully curated ‘server theme’ is bizarre – it doesn’t exist! Everybody has a different idea of it and despite what some people would claim, there is no ‘orthodox’ theme. You can’t pin down something as abstract as that. 

People do largely what they want, according to what will motivate them to create and build. As a community, we tend to have this quasi-pluralistic ‘live and let live’ mentality towards different communities and player-bases. If they’re not affecting us, they do what they want. It doesn’t matter how ridiculous or ‘not on theme’ something is (Obviously there are general boundaries – boundaries which firearms are well and truly within!) – if you don't like it that much, you don’t engage with it. One of the things that upsets me the most about this debate is that this is a courtesy extended to every RP group on the server, no matter how objectively horrific, but is one that is never extended to people who want a different type of flavor through firearms in RP.

I don’t get a say over the fact that you role-play a bipedal, talking cat, no matter how much it might break my immersion or be misaligned with my view of the server theme. 

PS: I can name a dozen fantasy universes where firearms co-exist with elves, armor, swords, dwarves, magic, pixies etc. At this point, this is completely void. We know that all of these things can co-exist in a balanced world with firearms – almost more of them have firearms than don’t. So why are we beating this dead horse as opposed to tackling the substance of the matter? 

Good words maly, took them right out of my mouth and express a sentiment that is all too common unfortunatly. 

this is going to bring more possibilities to powergame, they arent going to know how to properly use it and abuse the knowledge of those who arent really on the topic, there is already magic that is powerful but has drawbacks, the only drawback of a flintlock is reloading which can be made to take various emotes but some people are going to abuse it and we already have crossbows that are already being missused