Your View - Firearms on LotC

Archipelego

Your View - Firearms on LotC  

482 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in roleplay firearms have a place on Lotc?

• Yes (Comment your reasoning down below.)
    • No (Comment your reasoning down below.)

26 minutes ago, Esterlen said:

snip

Ok so my response is largely in part to the OP and the whole topic, though Esterlen makes a point here I’d like to address. First, I think one of the biggest concerns on this topic is flintlocks being added and being used unfairly and being used in “cringe” ways. We already have instances where people emote bows in such ways. I don’t think anybody wants to be rping their character walking down a road when “Billy ‘F*ck you’ Johnson” the bandit comes along to emote shooting your character for being an Imperial, or worse, an elf.

As to address Esterlen’s point more specifically, at least the one part, in which he says “there is no one solid theme of LOTC”, I see that point but I disagree in this argument. The levels of fantasy and realism are mixed in a very unique way but I think it’s very reasonable to say we have unspoken lines at the least. Will LOTC ever have cars and trains? Gatling guns? Well I hope not, that’s clearly not the era we have established and I don’t believe it’s the kind of RP that’s expected here. While technically, we could lead LOTC in that direction, I don’t believe many want to. I could be wrong but that’s from my experience. With that, I think another big fear is just that, where flintlocks and/or muskets would then lead to. Would we see votes eventually for even more advanced tech? Better guns and so on? With the argument of “Well, we have flintlocks already, so”. Flintlocks are a step into a new tech level, where as right now, we are fantasy and medieval, magic and swords. 

So where I stand is, sure, add flintlocks and/or muskets  if the community wants them but I’d only want to see them under certain terms:

1: They must be used in a strict manner and not let up to freedom of the user. There is a response in this thread with how rolling could work with them, which seems well thought out and fair

2: We have a line of tech we don’t cross in LOTC. I don’t really wish to see LOTC turn more modern than flintlocks tech wise. There could be some exceptions for things perhaps but weaponry is pretty significant. Would it hurt LOTC though if someone invents some magical toaster? I mean, not really. Cars, planes, trains, fully automatic weapons, these are things that would dramatically change the RP of LoTC, obviously and these are the things I wouldn’t want to see ever. Flintlocks are a step into 

Edited by Thedeadoor

12 minutes ago, Harrison said:

the only downside is that EVERYONE will want to use them because ‘’’’’OMG GUNS’’’’’’ 

if guns get as aggressively clique-locked as every magic (fantasy server btw) then that wont be an issue imo

2 minutes ago, Will (TauFirewarrior) said:

Thank you for engaging your brain, full disclosure that most non-humans do not learn magic and fewer still only learn combat magic. So framing the debate of “Well the non-human communities have this magic” when its hardly comparable to the destructive force of firearms. However I am as prior mentioned open to the debate should there be proper systems put in place to limit or not allow insta one shot kills that would be powergaming.

/sigh/ Then allow me to give the nons-snarky response in that magic for sure needs a buff. While it already has power to be as destructive as a musket, as it will take just as many  emotes to do, and have around the same accuracy, I agree that if you have the power to summon/bend the world to your will, you should be seen as a powerful figure. T5 Magic attacks usually take around 3-4 emotes anyway. Flintlocks would take around this as well. Accuracy would be on a roll obviously and take around the same. Though at the end of the day, this truly does boil down to a community vs community debate and what everyone may consider fantasy. Humans have zero special qualities. Zero. Sure the dwarves you could argue have it tough as well, though at least they have easier Golem access. Humans have needed to create things out of thin air such as a complex law system and as close to real-life government systems in order to be intresting. Guns would have around the same effectiveness as magic, and because of this I would agree that magic probably would need a buff. As well as give a siege method of magic. However if those things are done, I see zero reason why humans couldn’t get guns.

Guys I literally got to use a nuclear bomb to blow up a city in Roleplay, server got through that fine I’m sure guns won’t be an issue.

Cannons and a prototype dwarven Hakenbüchse existed in Aegis, so I don’t see why they couldn’t still exist. All you have to do is prohibit rifling with the techlock and you’ll be golden.

35 minutes ago, Harrison said:

guns serve the same purpose that crossbows do but are just ‘’’’cooler’’’’ to the na players on the server

they would be balanced the same and hardly anything would change if that was the case

but i’d rather not have them so cringe kids dont just run around doing gang driveby roleplay on the roads 

do u mean like every bandit copy/pasting “HALT!” robbing RP on the road?

Just now, Pyro™ said:

Guys I literally got to use a nuclear bomb to blow up a city in Roleplay, server got through that fine I’m sure guns won’t be an issue.

I was there in the skype chat, everyone agreed it was against the techlock, against the rules and all that.

But staff  thought for a minute, engaged their brain and realized it would be FANTASTIC roleplay. 

And so what happened? A sect of the world got turned into a massive event zone, it sparked refugee RP that spurred numerous kingdoms and other group, this one thing that was “against lore” made the world so much richer for it. 

Don’t understand what is the fixation with guns. Admins have told us time and time again, the time in the calendar has no relationship with IRL calendar. The date we are on doesn’t mean we should have the same tech in game than the ones being developed in the IRL calendar. I can already see multiple cases of people going #w loads gun #w aims gun #s headshots his enemy with his concealed gun. If people that want them in say it’ll be just like having crossbows and arbalests then have them use those. But adding guns would really affect the fantasy feel of the server.

Cannons I can agree with, they were in LoTC in the past and are easier to control. Since you won’t have people just carrying them around on their backs. (Hopefully)

1 minute ago, SoulReapingWolf said:

Don’t understand what is the fixation with guns. Admins have told us time and time again, the time in the calendar has no relationship with IRL calendar. The date we are on doesn’t mean we should have the same tech in game than the ones being developed in the IRL calendar. I can already see multiple cases of people going #w loads gun #w aims gun #s headshots his enemy with his concealed gun. If people that want them in say it’ll be just like having crossbows and arbalests then have them use those. But adding guns would really affect the fantasy feel of the server.

Cannons I can agree with, they were in LoTC in the past and are easier to control. Since you won’t have people just carrying them around on their backs. (Hopefully)

They are purely for roleplay practically, as you can do the same thing with crossbows. Historically you can even go back to when colonials came to America that the flintlocks were far less effective than the bows that the Indians had for sometime because of the reload time. So while a bow in CRP takes around 2 Emotes to use, a crossbow takes 3-4, magic at T4-5 takes 3-4, a flintlock rifle would take 5 emotes and have the same accuracy as the magic. It just gives another thing to use.

3 minutes ago, SoulReapingWolf said:

I think it mainly comes down to “flintlocks are cool and not that advanced tech wise” as to why people want them.

37 minutes ago, Taketheshot said:

You are part of the community team, if new players dont understand a subject it is UP TO YOU, you help guide them through those issues to roleplay. 

Having a reskinned crossbow with different flavor and different emotes but used in the same manner is not going to change anything drastic.

If I go to shoot someone in one emote with a crossbow ill get a GM called on me, having a musket doesnt suddenly make it non punishable. 

if someone powergames you REPORT IT. Saying you dont want something because you dont want to report it is stupid. Dont report it I guess?

Sometimes new players will completely ignore any sort guidance as regardless of what we do people will still slip through the cracks and ignore our guidance, if you need proof of that, check applications accepted vs new players guidance ((Found here we are required to offer new player gudiance)). What I’m saying is, it’ll only end up causing more powergaming problems that no one should have to deal with in the first place.

And saying regarding the reporting part, I’m moreso implying I want proactive then reactive when I say that. Since guns are a whole other mess on it’s own with the mentality around them, and personally I feel they currently only fit in one nation who’ve been the primary driving force behind forcing them on everything and would make no sense in the rest of the server. And if it’s a “reskinned crossbow” why do we need them when we just have normal crossbows which as noted by other people and myself already have problems.

4 minutes ago, SoulReapingWolf said:

Don’t understand what is the fixation with guns. Admins have told us time and time again, the time in the calendar has no relationship with IRL calendar. The date we are on doesn’t mean we should have the same tech in game than the ones being developed in the IRL calendar.

Of course they don’t correlate. And guns weren’t invented in the 1760s either. We aren’t proposing that they correlate at all. I could make the exact same argument against swords saying “server date doesn’t have to match IRL date, we can be in the 1700s and still using sticks and stones”. Like yes, we could, but why would we? 

I can already see multiple cases of people going #w loads gun #w aims gun #s headshots his enemy with his concealed gun. If people that want them in say it’ll be just like having crossbows and arbalests then have them use those. But adding guns would really affect the fantasy feel of the server.

Your #w thing would be just as easy with a crossbow or bow. How often do you see that happening? Why would it be any more common with guns than it is now? 

18 minutes ago, Will (TauFirewarrior) said:

Thank you for engaging your brain, full disclosure that most non-humans do not learn magic and fewer still only learn combat magic. So framing the debate of “Well the non-human communities have this magic” when its hardly comparable to the destructive force of firearms. However I am as prior mentioned open to the debate should there be proper systems put in place to limit or not allow insta one shot kills that would be powergaming.

wood elves will be expected to use zulu spear and shield tactics to defend themselves from musketmen

1 minute ago, Evonpire said:

Sometimes new players will completely ignore any sort guidance as regardless of what we do people will still slip through the cracks and ignore our guidance, if you need proof of that, check applications accepted vs new players guidance ((Found here we are required to offer new player gudiance)). What I’m saying is, it’ll only end up causing more powergaming problems that no one should have to deal with in the first place.

And saying regarding the reporting part, I’m moreso implying I want proactive then reactive when I say that. Since guns are a whole other mess on it’s own with the mentality around them, and personally I feel they currently only fit in one nation who’ve been the primary driving force behind forcing them on everything and would make no sense in the rest of the server. And if it’s a “reskinned crossbow” why do we need them when we just have normal crossbows which as noted by other people and myself already have problems.

The same new player can also one emote snipe you with a crossbow or a bow, as they’ve been able to do for the entirety of server history. Why would muskets suddenly make it a bigger propblem? 

1 minute ago, Thedeadoor said:

I think it mainly comes down to “flintlocks are cool and not that advanced tech wise” as to why people want them.

Could always steer away from flintlocks and have matchlocks instead.