1. 1. freebuild: yes or no

• yes freebuild
    • no freebuild

i simply wish to know the majority opinion of the community

dK34AJh.jpg

troll pot

Free build led to one of the worst looking maps possible, definitely not

11 minutes ago, Xx_BloodStalk_xX said:

while freebuild had its quirks, it really didn't provide a good look for the server, since half of arcas looked like 2b2t with the amount of griefed builds and makeshift hideouts

Arcas wasn't a freebuild map? Unless you are talking about the wildlands, which was not full of griefed builds whenever I explored that corner of the map.

Did you mean to say Atlas? Atlas actually looked pretty good in all honesty (even the freebuild areas). I fly around it regularly on the museum server and I prefer it to Almaris. Love it or hate it, the freebuild system of Atlas set up a lot of the nations we now know and love. Elvenesse used to be Aegrothond in freebuild back in Atlas. The modern Dwarven Urguan state was founded in freebuild in Atlas. Orcs used freebuild to get back on their feet after losing their nation status twice (it was twice, right?). Adria in Arcas used to be Belvitz in Atlas (and Curon too I think, I remember Curon was in freebuild when it was first founded).

If you think about it, early Arcas was really just a map with all the successful freebuild towns on it (plus a few nations that lived all the way through the big coalition wars of Atlas).

the poll guy shouldn’t say too much but I’m gonna put in my input. As a new player I kinda want freebuild because almaris is so empty and huge. Beautiful, but so ******* empty. It would be fun to have something when I’m wandering around like the museum map servers did. Just my two cents

free build was just hideous and took away from activity in nations, player groups are already spread out thin enough as it is with how big the map is

2 hours ago, Xx_BloodStalk_xX said:

while freebuild had its quirks, it really didn't provide a good look for the server, since half of arcas looked like 2b2t with the amount of griefed builds and makeshift hideouts

False, Arcas looked hot, even the wildlands.

freebuild makes everything more spread out and harder for everyone. On that note, i do believe obtaining land for an active (new) playerbase should not be as hard as it is.

If we don't implement Freebuild in some form the server will continue to suffer. It's near impossible to get land if you're trying to start a new group and it's led to stagnation and favoritism. Getting a small plot of land to build something shouldn't be a massive head ache. 

On 7/28/2021 at 10:41 AM, Treaty said:

Free build led to one of the worst looking maps possible, definitely not

Axios had freebuild?

Seriously though, I don't get what you guys get out of these WorldPainter maps. I cannot understand why you need to gaze at their repetitive terrain while walking down a 50-mile road to your capital and never interact with the world whatsoever. Whatever the case, the fact is that Almaris's scenic block vistas would look a lot better with player builds on them. 

It is still possible to protect good-looking terrain on a map with freebuild and it is possible to scar the land on a map with whatever convoluted charter application nonsense we have going on right now. 

Occasionally having to leave your nation capital and seeing a new player shack is the price you pay for having a cohesive world that's accessible to players from day one. For most people joining, this is their first time doing any form of Minecraft roleplay and having the familiarity of simply breaking blocks to gather resources can help new players set themselves up and establish their character in the world. I joined during a freebuild map, I wasn't terribly distracted by the fact that everything looked like garbage because I wanted to go kill a dragon. If you had told me I needed to rent an apartment in Lego City and work at a tavern I would have quit, plain and simple.

On 7/28/2021 at 11:50 AM, UnBaed said:

free build was just hideous and took away from activity in nations, player groups are already spread out thin enough as it is with how big the map is

I will bring up the same thing I've brought up every time people have had this argument: Why does Haense get a pass on its countless dozens of inactive peerages? Nations with dozens and dozens of dependent settlements and fiefdoms arguably spread players just as thin as a plot of freebuild land would, but no one ever tells them they need to centralize.

CT members already waste so much time schlepping new players into nation capitals, wrangling up the 2-3 inactive stewards, and getting noobs situated inside them with no actual help from leadership. We've gotten to the point where (certain) nations are leaning on staff to spoon feed them activity, and prohibiting any type of building or organization that competes. This isn't a sustainable way to run a role-play server where the entire idea is limitless creative imagination, and it has objectively failed at raising player retention. If your nation can't compete with a hut in the middle of nowhere with the green top, it deserves to be put to sleep.

39 minutes ago, monkeypoacher said:

snip

idk about haense, i'm not really there anymore

though there is an issue of haense and oren having massive capitals meant to centralize rp for their communities, but then letting people branch out and build their own castles/settlements in the countryside.  it's got its pros and cons, nothing im really caring to argue about since it's not really my decision to make on the server

i just feel like freebuild has grown more useless with the lair and settlement apps being a thing, players can still have a chance/freedom to try out something away from the already established nations on the server while also ensuring its not another build that will landscar the map

also side opinion, activity checks has really damaged a lot of mindset on the server.  too many nations cling to quantity over quality rp and scramble around to promote the most casual of rp to show to everyone how active their settlements are.  nations like oren suppress and try to stomp out any conflict out of fear of losing their crown of activity (though also because a lot of other groups are looking for any excuse to go to war with them)

Alright, I feel pretty strongly about this matter since one of my proudest LoTC creations (Hyspia) was made in the Arcas freebuild area (wildlands).

First of all, to anybody who had any sense of build taste, our capital was to put it mildly not the best it could've been. Our defensive walls were purely cobblestone and our meeting hall was...eugh. Regardless, the settlement that I and a handful of others had built turned into something I at the time didn't imagine it could. What Tierra Natal, as we called it, became was something that I always look back on with pride. Our numbers didn't really go beyond at most ten, but honestly in our little pocket of the world that was enough. Our community, though a bit wacky OOCly, was wonderful to experience. I still remember one particular event called the Mendez-Gonzalez feud which shook our little community to its core. Hell, at one point we, a 10 person 'kingdom', entered diplomatic relations with the likes of the Kingdom of Norland. 

What I'm trying to say here is that while builds can be atrocious, it's more so about the community you build inside of it. In my opinion, once you have a good community of friends you can rely on for some good RP every now and then it doesn't matter how shitty or how beautiful your build is. With groups that got shot down (Ex. Vasiyeva and others), they could have added a whole new level of flavor to the server and made the world ten times more interesting. If the freebuild areas like the wildlands still existed, these communities could just go there and build something beautiful from scratch.

Tl:dr, Freebuild may cause shitty builds, but can bring around wonderful roleplay communities otherwise restricted by the current land system.

Just my two cents, don't kill me

What I don't understand is why the world team can't just make most of a map Freebuild, then have applications where a player has to prove their able/capable to build nicely to be given PEX to build. If they're worried about land scarring, then only allow players who prove their ability to build well to build through an application. It's not hard to limit them to a single build and just monitor any potential land scarring either, just use the threat of PEX removal and a possible ban.

@Telanir In case you were looking for a solution.

Edited by drfate786

2 hours ago, Javert said:

Our defensive walls were purely cobblestone and our meeting hall was...eugh. Regardless, the settlement that I and a handful of others had built turned into something I at the time didn't imagine it could. What Tierra Natal, as we called it, became was something that I always look back on with pride.

826178198085042226.png?v=1 Was pretty good tbh.