RE: Mission Statement – World Team

SquakHawk

35 minutes ago, Neckbeardicus Prime, Riblord of Aesterwald said:

Take it from a dude who has been here a decade: When you go about designing your next map, take a very close look at how Anthos was laid out. I joined back in Asulon and I have a preference for large areas in general, and I remember being rather disappointed with the release of Anthos because of how damned small it was. But in hindsight, it was a very masterful design that hasn't been duplicated in nine years. Think about how natural barriers (especially rivers and mountains) can affect flow of people. The implementation of East Fleet was great for Dwarves and Humans, but Elves and Orcs are extremely far away to walk to. A main highway is not a bad thing to use to connect playerbases, and it is much more immersive than the fetish that some people have with fast travels. Take some time to think about how to create a map without portals and fast-travels, but to also allow for breathing space

Anthos is acting as one of my main inspirations for map design theme, it served as a much more natural looking and feeling map. Elevations that didn’t change from Y:50 to Y:300 within a hundred blocks, biomes to match what made sense, and without an ungodly unused stain akin to Arcas’ snow island or Almaris’ volcano-lands. Usable land is one thing, but fantasy, thematically correct and natural land will exceed it in every way. There’s a lot of lessons to be learned from just the last three maps alone- Almaris, Arcas, Atlas. I want this one done right.

I would like to thank all the world team members from the bottom up for all their work over the years. 

Are all members of staff as skilled at building as those in the world team? I get why you wouldn't want a static team for this but isn't that just putting more responsibility in a specialized task to a generalized team. Specialization isn't bad — stagnation is. 

This is honestly the single best thing the admin team has announced or done in a solid couple years. There is no need for redundancy. The server was just fine when moderation would handle land scars and building copies before. Event team generally handled a majority of map building. As map transitions and story building was generally considered an "event". 

I miss LC on the rare occasions I actually log onto the server, much less build something

Big pog

You all know for a fact this wouldn't have had to happen if [redacted] was free.

2 hours ago, Neckbeardicus Prime, Riblord of Aesterwald said:

take a very close look at how Anthos was laid out

Amen.

RIP, the team was arbitrarily made by Telanir in the age of consolidation and compartmentalizing and I hope we've learned from it.

i love junar

Can you at least differentiate the green colour for ST? Having now, 56 staff on the same team which do varying jobs can be a tad confusing now its the biggest staff team, change the builders to a darker green or leave it how it is now for example, ext. 

Staff really partitioned the WT like Poland was by Germany and Russia during WW2.