[✗] [Amendment] Atronach Forging and Atronachs

Tabby64

Original: 

Atronachs on their own are immune to both mental attacks and sensory illusion, as they do not necessarily have a mind to trick.

Proposal:

Removal of the redline in favor of allowing Atronachs to be affected by Sensory Illusion. 

Reason:

Although the redline states that Atronachs do not have the mind to be tricked, this doesn’t seem to be consistent within the lore. In the Atronach Behavior and Psychology section of the lore, the constructs are described to have a mind and sentience, similar to anything else. Throughout the lore, it seems to repeat that Atronachs have their own sentience and mind. The only difference the lore mentions is the inability to express emotion and that they are subservient to their master or creator. 

In the Sensory Illusion lore, it states that the magic, “instill sensory falsehoods in the mind of another”. One can assume from this that anything with consciousness and the ability to see, hear, feel, etc should be affected by the illusions. Although illusions may not instill fear or happiness within an Atronach, illusions should affect their hearing and sight.

I wonder if the confusion/discrepency is rooted in fact that people have diff understandings of what senses are canonically, if there's a distinction between the senses of a construct like a golem or that of a normal person. If golemantic eyes are susceptible to illusion (they are) then there's no real distinction

Just now, Astrophysical said:

Enchantments don't have brains.

"Atronachs are gifted their own sentience and mind" - Atronach lore

Then you have to make all the familiars created through atronach forging and artificery being subject to illusion...

Opinions mixed on this - they don't necessarily have a brain/soul to be tricked. If something with sentience counts as having a brain, then Artificer's sentient items can get illusioned, etc. I think for the relative weaknesses they already have, being immune to illusion attacks (which I've never seen happen in 4 years of playing) isn't gamebreaking.

then again, it would be funny if they could get tricked by illusions

4 hours ago, ECS11 said:

Then you have to make all the familiars created through atronach forging and artificery being subject to illusion...

why is that a problem?

I honestly don't disagree. There are a lot of other things with 'no brain' which get affected by illusion because they have a mind. Illusion isn't the most useful thing in combat anyways so I could see this being used to teach your own atronoch about things.