LotC Development Opinions

Aesopian

LotC Development Opinions  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want potions created through alchemy to have mechanical properties?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you want there to be a mechanical system to create potions, and if so, should it exist alongside or as a replacement for the current roleplay-mediated system to generate potions?

• Yes, either would be acceptable.
    • Yes, but only if it replaced the roleplay-mediated system to generate potions.
    • Yes, but only if it existed alongside the roleplay-mediated system to generate potions.
    • No.
  3. 3. Do you think the server should be CRP default or defender default?

• CRP Default [Combat automatically defaults to CRP]
    • Defender Default [The defender in the combat chooses whether PVP or RP is used to decide the result]
  4. 4. Do you prefer raids default to CRP or PVP (or at the discretion of the leaders of the two parties involved)?

• CRP
    • PVP
  5. 5. Do you think it should be possible to create items with nonvanilla mechanical effects (e.g. a one-use grappling hook that could launch you up a wall)?

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. Would you prefer the current raid system, or one which is restricted to one raid per month, but completely unrestricted in player counts?

• Current Raid System
    • One Restricted to 1/month but without player number restrictions
  7. 7. Do you think the ST should be able to give players items with mechanical effects (e.g. a staff that can launch fireballs)?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Do you think players should be able to create, through either roleplay or a mechanical system, items with magical effects (e.g. a staff that can launch fireballs)?

• Yes
    • No
  9. 9. Do you believe the staff should work towards nonlinear antagonists (e.g. an undead nation which has a free casus beli to attack the living and gains PVP bonuses in warclaims when doing so, but is NOT garaunteed to end the map)?

• Yes
    • No
  10. 10. Do you think religion should have a greater role in national political mechanics (e.g. providing discounts to war claims under certain circumstances)?

• Yes
    • No

I'm interested in getting opinions of the community on a few topics. This isn't for the sake of the Development team, but it will inform my own personal thoughts on these topics. 

Follow-up poll: 

Based Aesopian Poll, especially the last one.

Love that the Dev team is looking for opinions; thats pretty neato.

I want to make this very clear below though (on the developer points brought up in your post Aesop.)

We had mechanical potions; they were removed for a reason. 

We had raid ladders, they were removed for a reason (in response to grappling hooks.)

Items with mechanical magic effects (i.e boomsticks) were removed for a reason.

Lets not rehash that, as I'm genuinely ready to throw old hands.

We haven't had another nonlinear antagonist that wasn't world ending, as again, its been done before (more than once) and it became a circle jerk for the staff in charge of it, and their friends. 

Love Harold

x

26 minutes ago, Harold said:

Love that the Dev team is looking for opinions; thats pretty neato.

I want to make this very clear below though (on the developer points brought up in your post Aesop.)

We had mechanical potions; they were removed for a reason. 

We had raid ladders, they were removed for a reason (in response to grappling hooks.)

Items with mechanical magic effects (i.e boomsticks) were removed for a reason.

Lets not rehash that, as I'm genuinely ready to throw old hands.

We haven't had another nonlinear antagonist that wasn't world ending, as again, its been done before (more than once) and it became a circle jerk for the staff in charge of it, and their friends. 

Love Harold

x

the future is now, old man, they were removed due to staff incompetence

11 minutes ago, Slorbin said:

the future is now, old man, they were removed due to staff incompetence

but the staff incompetence has not been removed!!

1, 2, 3, 5, 6 - I wouldnt know im not a pvper lol

4. Generally i've found crp sieges to be a lot more interesting and fun, albeit more difficult and time consuming to set up than just throw people at each other. Though, this does make a couple of smaller questions like 'if a cannon comes into play and destroys a wall, does a mod have to get involved with the encounter to make a fair hole, or will the people with build perms (aka defenders) have to do so out of good faith?'

7. as a rare reward for higher end events or event lines, i think this would be pretty dope so long as there arent many, and have counters present (like shields, or using a bow and arrow to interrupt the casting mechanically)

8. no, because no matter how much you limit the creation times there will be 1 or 2 player groups mass producing these things till they become part of the pvp meta.

9. winnable fights with sacrifices would be great for character development, I feel like since everyone knew the map was gonna change oocly anyways in Almaris the ending event suffered as a whole and gave everyone really no reason to fight other than for the sake of fighting.

10. i wouldnt know im not a pvper lol

that is all, thanks for making this post!

Edited by SlitheryC1

I would need a definition of mechanical effects here. Do you @Aesopianmean it to be:

(A) an item that has a defined effect in roleplay? 

-or-

(B) an item that has an effect in minecraft? 

Because my answers vary depending on what you mean. 

2 minutes ago, Burnsider said:

I would need a definition of mechanical effects here. Do you @Aesopianmean it to be:

(A) an item that has a defined effect in roleplay? 

-or-

(B) an item that has an effect in minecraft? 

Because my answers vary depending on what you mean. 

Minecraft

All of this sounds epic- one question, though. If potion making becomes mechanical, what will stop people without Alchemy FAs to create potions?

I've been in your playtest dungeon and it was pretty cool so im down with mechanical stuff

43 minutes ago, Borin said:

but the staff incompetence has not been removed!!

real

Could've included alternatives to the poll like #3 might have included a poll for PvP default even if it's unpopular with a newer player base along with #6 with variety including 1-2 times a week, 3 times a month, etc.

I think 1-2 pvp raids per week would be great activities to let working people and students enjoy something fun through the week while their busy. It would be interesting to develop a plugin that lets you select the raid, and upon selection sends an alert to prepare for an incoming raid. though in more modern days it'll just be abused as a way to meta-game and prevent the raid from happening.

Spoiler

whoever manifested the idea of a combat chat-play raid is a psycho

1. GUYS, GUYS! MOM! LOOK! GET THE CAMERAAAA!!!!! IT'S ******* NEXUUSSSSS MOMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. i will die on this hill but remove the goddamn useless reagents or make them useful (i don't personally care as long as its coded fine without RNG)

3. I too, am a frank enjoyer of attempting to 1v1 the spastic that stacked FAs and MAs. 

4. Hello. Welcome to the Black Mesa Transit system, please keep your hands and feet inside of the tram at all times. We are asking you to be wary of a Caucasian male sporting a grey jumpsuit and a gray colored gas mask on his face. He is deemed violent and is hunting with a red toolbox for any individuals lurking within the maintenance shafts. Under any circumstance, do NOT attempt to CRP with this individual! He will revert to a primal rage as they knock you senseless with the toolbox. Admins cannot find John Greytide, as it seems they are everywhere and searching for the scared Insulated gloves from Engineering Tool Storage or Maintenance to powergame their way into multiple departments. 

5. Numba one! Numba one! Numba one! Bosnia numba one!!

6.  I enjoy stabbing individuals with a large number of people no matta what. 

7. Hey guys, I'm brand new to the Story Team and I've heard we have a meeting! Oh? Meeting is in the other room? Okay! *opens door* OH GOD WHAT THE ****. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUUUUCKKKKK! OH GOD MY EYES! MY EYES! WHAT THE **** ARE THEY DOING IN THAT ROOM! ARGGGGGGGGGGGG. WHY IS THERE A 4x4 BEEEDDDD ARGGGGGGGGGG AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

8. The. Number. One. We are number one! You are number one!

9. That's cool but LoTCers have a prone aversion to click a button on their mouse on the left hand side deemed M1 at intervals or to 'spam' the button. 

10. NUMBER THREEEEE! I GOT NUMBER THREEEE IN THE RACE I AM A RACISSTTTT!

(im so getting killed for this one)

CRP default in theory would be great if we had an ironed out system and ruleset to follow, but in my earnest opinion I think the default of combat needs to be PvP default over a certain amount of players, I.E: 8, 10, 12, etc. People cannot be expected to sit through several grueling hours of paragraph combat that could be filled with arguments or debates about a certain action, yada yada. Many have lives outside of the server, and should not be subject to being locked into something they could not finish. PvP is an alternative that may not be tasteful for my wiki emote warrior brothers who share the same server as I, but we can agree that it is indeed the quickest way to reach an expected outcome that might take several hours to achieve. I.E. 1 guy holding up 10 guys who can't seem to land a blow on the guy who is able to dodge every single attack due to [Insert Item] [Insert CA], etc.