NLs and PK clauses

satinkira

Should NLs exist under a PK clause?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Should NLs exist under a PK clause?

• Yes, but only during wars.
    • Yes, at all times.
    • NLs should not exist under a PK clause.
    • Other (say below).

The REAL solution is helping NLs hold themselves to higher standards of roleplay so they can be example for their own communities. Gracefully taking an L with style and epic prose is much cooler than staff-enforced L-taking. 

all characters should be subject to a PK clause, UNLESS they have a legitimate means of revival: sorvianism, klones, druid trees, etc

Seems shitty to subject the longevity of their playtime and enjoyment to staff discretion in the name of good rp. The forums explode every time someone controversial gets banned, so I can guess what will happen if a raid group from a warring nation manages to snag an NL at 2am when nobody else was on and staff aim to enforce it. And given the gravity that a violent shift in leadership could have, it's either a) something folks will tear each other apart to do rply (maybe a good thing) and oocly (definitely a bad thing), b) something folks will actively do nonsense to avoid (alt, shadow gov's, etc. as some others suggest), or c) a combination of both (my bet).

I understand the mentality that a good rp death should lead to a pk to have true consequences and dynamic rp for you and those around you. I also work and take courses most days, so when I can finally get on I'd like to play my character without worrying about staff taking that character away in the name of someone else's good rp and I'd imagine it's the same for some (perhaps not all) of the current NLs. The same could be said for future NLs. I don't see many folks aspiring to be NL with a serious character if they can just get pk'd 10 minutes after they're crowned.

the real solution here is not glorifying nation leaders as an OOC position (along with their government or council buddies)

in part I also think giving NLs less OOC power will contribute to making the actual RP aspect more valuable and pave the roads towards respectable leaders who pursue it for RP and not the OOC, and once u do that PK clauses don't need to be a conversation anynore

i think people besides NLs should have more power in the community, so killing the king & everyone being called shit on the forums isn't how this goes down every time 

It only works for humans, not non-human races.

Imagine PKing your 8 year character after losing a raid to the ferrymen, being captured, and executed without a reason

I think NL force pk's got removed for a good reason.

NLs are players too, I would like to enjoy my time on this server and not have to hide in my palace because at any point a raid could sprint through my city and gun me down like a dog and force me to pk.

Unless we want to enforce war-pks for everyone.

On 6/12/2023 at 2:48 PM, itdontmatta said:

Imagine PKing your 8 year character after losing a raid to the ferrymen, being captured, and executed without a reason

I unironically agree with this take. I respect all avenues of RP but Human RP as a whole I find is very very different than every other community, in that most players will typically stick in that community for multiple years on different characters, because that's just the norm. Likewise, human NLs are basically doomed to PK at the start of their reign as Humanity's niche on LOTC is hereditary monarchy.

18 hours ago, MalchediaelVult said:

NLs are players too, I would like to enjoy my time on this server and not have to hide in my palace because at any point a raid could sprint through my city and gun me down like a dog and force me to pk.

This as well, I am just a player and do want to RP with my community all the same without randomly being taken out by like 8 randoms who showed up and thought it'd be funny to take out someone's character because they're on a PK clause. My Persona's just kinda a normal guy mechanically I just have to deal with ooc bullshit.

19 hours ago, MalchediaelVult said:

Agreed, Either no one dies or everyone dies.

Honestly never really saw the point of this, I know for a fact, all it will result in NLs being pk'd in the first war they lose.

32 minutes ago, Evonpire said:

I unironically agree with this take. I respect all avenues of RP but Human RP as a whole I find is very very different than every other community, in that most players will typically stick in that community for multiple years on different characters, because that's just the norm. Likewise, human NLs are basically doomed to PK at the start of their reign as Humanity's niche on LOTC is hereditary monarchy.

This as well, I am just a player and do want to RP with my community all the same without randomly being taken out by like 8 randoms who showed up and thought it'd be funny to take out someone's character because they're on a PK clause. My Persona's just kinda a normal guy mechanically I just have to deal with ooc bullshit.

19 hours ago, MalchediaelVult said:

On 6/12/2023 at 2:48 PM, itdontmatta said:

All this and more. Imagine losing a persona who was built up and roleplayed for years and ended up leading a nation, only to die to pvpers and be forced PK'd. 

Also, tell me about one war where people did not go out of the way to TARGET the NLs? Doesn't exist. I can name 5 raids on both sides during the Oren v Urguan war where the goal was solely to capture Hogo/Nect/Terry. There were raids in elven wars too where the goal was to capture drunk/twi/hnor leadership/etc etc. 

There is a reason this WAS A RULE and WAS REMOVED. There is a reason why this was a WAR GOAL and the first war it was used, everything got 180'd. 

On 6/12/2023 at 12:02 PM, Nug said:

yes, but i can see so much ooc plotting and shitty rp coming as a result of people wanting to PK opposing NLs, it worries me. there's already rules for bad conflict rp, but something like this would probably always need moderation oversight. idk if the community could handle it.

just this. 

> Was killed in Cnor when they weren't allied with Adria for asking where prisoners were- a fellow compatriot drew his blade and was cut down- then they turned to me (unarmed) and just emoted killing me w/out any further RP- literally "stabs in back" with maybe 12 extra flavour words

On 6/12/2023 at 12:48 PM, itdontmatta said:

I think there should just be a forced step down clause with pk being optional.

Now this, is epic.

Editing because I realize I could plug something. I think when your character is in a high up position, such as NL, they should most certainly fall under a PK clause UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS. 

Raiding without planning in RP beforehand,  banditting, and other low tier effort roleplay need not apply. However, if we were to use a system akin to, say, heisting  or some such, then it  would be more digestible. Trust me, I remember the day when the Oren Emperor got JFK'd and lived because "I dun wanna PK", and then the entire nation had to BS a reason why their emperor who was very publicly murdered is now walking the streets. 

In general, I'm an advocate for first death PK with legitimate roleplay, and I feel as though monk revives harm narrative as a whole. But that's just me.