NLs and PK clauses

satinkira

Should NLs exist under a PK clause?  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Should NLs exist under a PK clause?

• Yes, but only during wars.
    • Yes, at all times.
    • NLs should not exist under a PK clause.
    • Other (say below).

This is something that's been on my mind for a while. I'd appreciate some feedback from NLs and former NLs; does playing a character who has a genuine impact on the movement of communities and the outcome of nation politics warrant a stricter PK ruleset, or no? 

As a former NL:

YES. SO MUCH SO, YES.

yes, but i can see so much ooc plotting and shitty rp coming as a result of people wanting to PK opposing NLs, it worries me. there's already rules for bad conflict rp, but something like this would probably always need moderation oversight. idk if the community could handle it.

Slight problem: NLs will just switch to alts or never leave their palace

Ooc targeting would lead to NLs being instantly murdered and PKed. It would only cause problems. Also as someone else said, NLs will just have their character be on an alt, or they will just play on an alt/different persona all the time so it doesn't matter 

Make NLs have a daily requirement of hours on their NL persona to avoid alting

Make NLs susceptible to PK clauses

If you think the chaos in the aftermath of an assassination is a bad thing, it really just leads to good RP (Imagine the wars of succession, The Anarchy 2.0, etc)

As a former NL, there is definitely a need for some kind of repercussions for when your character is killed. My rule of thumb was that if there had been sufficient RP and if it was of good quality, that I would PK and I was actually going to PK once when I was captured (though my captives decided to let me go).

I always refused to PK not only as NL, but in general, when the RP was just qualitatively muck - little to no effort put in, memey, etc.

Tldr; NL's should have to PK provided that the RP lead up and the quality of RP surrounding the occasion, was of a good standard.

(Yes, 'good standard' is more of a subjective thing, but we all recognize good effort)

Forcing people to PK defeats the purpose of PKing in good faith and PKing for the sake of a good story, I agree, NLs should PK more often, but forcing them is not the way to go 

A pretty easy way to have people create alt characters, or more likely, just make a puppet NL and have a shadow leader do the legitimate stuff without fear of PK.

As a former NL I do believe it would be abused by OOC targeted by factions or players. In addition it would leave communities if they followed the spirit of the proposal to be a chaotic matter if their NLs get killed after a short time by Bob_the_23rd_assassin (an alt assassin). Looking in the past when orcs has short lived Rexes, their activity was in the lower numbers, in more recent times with longer lasting Rex'es like Drunk, Cloaked and Evonpire, the orcs are doing a lot better.

On a more practical sense. People will make alt leaders, King Charles died? Well, time for Prince Charlie to be the king. Totally different character.

Or a random alt to be the leader as your actual persona shadow leads.

Let people build sandcastles without having to look out for the bully which gets a kick out of jumping on others' sandcastles.

If it's good RP which leads up to the death of the leader and the leader is cool with PKing, letting it be the impactful nail in that character's story, let them. We should encourage people to have fun.

the problem is ooc targetting.

if u do it in a war, theyll be ooc shit anyway so choose that time

Seeing as pk nls was a thing that had been implemented, all it took was one nl to die to realize it was a large mistake (i think it was haelunors but i cant remember) and the entire thing was shut down, but aside from the spouting of "alts and shadow leads" being the most predominantly talked about situation.

People also seem to not mention the added stress, with the recent war rules in addition to all this, the idea of having NLs pk or anyone in force again is in bad faith. And trying to put x amount of hours will only make it feel like an unfun job, which would entirely make it go left field from the mission statement.

Overall, NLs should not need to pk, it would lead to unneeded ooc targeting, alts, stress and demotivation to enjoy the characters or even the game itself.

I feel like forcing NL's to PK upon death isn't the proper solution to the issue.  As everyone else has been commenting above, that rule would certainly be used by a lot of bad-faith RPers, or simply just players who solely focus on PvP and OOC politicking on this server.  Would an NL be forced to PK if they got killed in a PvP encounter?  I'm sure you'll find a lot of players unwilling to PK their characters over such events, so why should we force NL's to do the same?

I agree that there should be some more consequences to dying, a PK would be ideal but with how things are on the server right now, it just wouldn't go efficiently.

I think a better solution to rooting out this issue is reflecting on how we conduct ourselves on the server.  Too many people around nation "RP" take things far too seriously OOCly, but I kind of don't blame them--how can you not care about a project you've poured a lot of effort and hours into?  That shouldn't mean, however, that you've the right to turn toxic and hateful toward someone opposing you.  Lines still need to be better defined, which far too many players don't even realize such boundaries exist

The issue isn't some NL's not PKing.  The issue is the spam of boastful victory posts after every PvP encounter; snide comments thinly hidden under RP emotes; hateful mindsets being promoted against player groups in times of RP conflict; the encouragement of harassment to communities and wanting to disrupt their RP with a flood of PvP raids.  It's just too much OOC being dragged into places where there should be more RP

People want their characters to have dynamic and interesting stories.  While not everything can go as we'd like for a narrative, that doesn't make it bad - I feel like we'll find a lot more players, NL's too, partaking in nation politics and conflict being more open to PKing on death if they were given genuinely good faith RP.  I'd certainly feel a lot better about PKing if whoever killed my character wasn't about to fortnite dance all over the forums about it, and instead gave me some entertaining RP.