[✗] [Lore Amendment] Corcituri

__WaterFox__

Ah. Sorry guys. I have been alerted to the fact I LARP a christian nationalist, my opinions are irrelevent. 

The folk who LARP eating people have declared my RP isn't inclusive of them enough, and thus I retract all my previous statements. WELCOME SPOOKS, COME INTO MY COMMUNITY AND EAT ALL THE NEWBORNS YOU LIKE!

I believe @LatzMomo's suggestion with a few alterations is the best fix rather than what is being suggested in this amendment. I would suggest adding an additional ability to the Corcitura's roster. I won't give a full description and redlines since this isn't my suggestion post, but I'll provide a brief outline of what I believe would be best.

Should a Corc have fear or concern of being discovered via the use of salt, they may redirect their recovery ability to instead protect minor wounds from the effects of salt over the course of 3 emotes and will remain effective for 3 OOC hours, during this time any salt introduced to major wounds would react with salt as it normally would. In order to use the ability, a Corc must have fed within the last year(1 OOC week), and the usage of the ability would cause the croc to enter the early stages of withdrawal, forcing them to feed again before they may use the ability again. Furthermore, due to the strain the ability places on the Corc's body, they would be unable to transform or experience the passive effects of their recovery ability.

I'd argue that involvement with any darkspawn group comes with the inherent risk of being unable to fully integrate into regular society, so making it so salt only works in major wounds is honestly an overcorrection for the issue. If someone doesn't want to experience ostracization on their character, then perhaps the CA isn't for them.

My suggestion which builds upon LatzMomo's original idea creates an expectation that both sides in an interaction be operating in good faith. If a Corc player RPs being protected from the use of salt on lesser wounds, there is an expectation that they have performed the required emotes the activate the ability and have properly RPed feeding in the last week, just as it's expected that anyone investigating a corc isn't metagaming a player's CA or causes a major wound to test the salt without proper cause. If either side is not operating in good faith they would receive proper punishment for breaking the rules. To me, this feels like the best solution as it's allowing the Corcs a way to remain protected from routine salt tests, but also forces them to put themselves at risk at a later date as they will have to feed sooner to avoid withdrawal.

26 minutes ago, Kholibrii said:

I believe @LatzMomo's suggestion with a few alterations is the best fix rather than what is being suggested in this amendment. I would suggest adding an additional ability to the Corcitura's roster. I won't give a full description and redlines since this isn't my suggestion post, but I'll provide a brief outline of what I believe would be best.

Should a Corc have fear or concern of being discovered via the use of salt, they may redirect their recovery ability to instead protect minor wounds from the effects of salt over the course of 3 emotes and will remain effective for 3 OOC hours, during this time any salt introduced to major wounds would react with salt as it normally would. In order to use the ability, a Corc must have fed within the last year(1 OOC week), and the usage of the ability would cause the croc to enter the early stages of withdrawal, forcing them to feed again before they may use the ability again. Furthermore, due to the strain the ability places on the Corc's body, they would be unable to transform or experience the passive effects of their recovery ability.

I'd argue that involvement with any darkspawn group comes with the inherent risk of being unable to fully integrate into regular society, so making it so salt only works in major wounds is honestly an overcorrection for the issue. If someone doesn't want to experience ostracization on their character, then perhaps the CA isn't for them.

My suggestion which builds upon LatzMomo's original idea creates an expectation that both sides in an interaction be operating in good faith. If a Corc player RPs being protected from the use of salt on lesser wounds, there is an expectation that they have performed the required emotes the activate the ability and have properly RPed feeding in the last week, just as it's expected that anyone investigating a corc isn't metagaming a player's CA or causes a major wound to test the salt without proper cause. If either side is not operating in good faith they would receive proper punishment for breaking the rules. To me, this feels like the best solution as it's allowing the Corcs a way to remain protected from routine salt tests, but also forces them to put themselves at risk at a later date as they will have to feed sooner to avoid withdrawal.

This is probably the best suggestion I have had and honestly I think this is the way to go. This puts further emphasis on the need to feed, is extremely simple to understand, and still requires the corc to be careful about how they manage themselves. This is an absolutely solid mechanic and I would have my amendment disregarded if you wanted to make your own amendment with this.

5 hours ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

''some'' extremely loose RP reasoning such as: "We LARP Christian Nationalists" in order to nearly always overcome the barrier of generating enjoyable RP for your victims

idk about this one man the human faith is characteristically unforgiving of many unnatural, let alone dark entities, and yes, has grown quite nationalistic (after all, the souls of other descendants or those corrupted cannot join the seven skies via its most recent lore) 

so like mass testing is to be expected but im not against ensuring its good quality and doesn't overtly limit rp, however enforcing that correctly is the hard part 

no point in trying to point the finger tho we're all trynna have fun *I RP as the literal Anti-Horen*

11 minutes ago, Jentos said:

idk about this one man the human faith is characteristically unforgiving of many unnatural, let alone dark entities, and yes, has grown quite nationalistic (after all, the souls of other descendants or those corrupted cannot join the seven skies via its most recent lore) 

Ultimately it's not the style of RP that perturbs me, I enjoy the exploration of Canon Church RP when it's more dramatic than testing guards at the gates. It's that OOC'ly the attitude between these two groups seems to be odds because of a perception that church RP is incompatible with dark horror. I literally could not disagree more on this premise, though, I believe both groups could easily collaborate to create compelling stories. The snarky attitude probably ate up a lot of those points, but I feel like the idea of an antagonistic IRP relationship has bled into both the OOC regard of "edgelords" vs "christdom larpers", as well as bled into the very lore idea of balance in the first place. These groups are not natural enemies out of character. 

Salt is there for the big reveal, not the gatehouse.

Understandably the salt kinda directs your RP avenues a tad which sucks. Though I agree with many people in the thread that "darkspawn" salt determent was discovered to be helpful and implemented IRPly by nations. While I believe there should be some hard-counters to CA's, and salt would absolutely count as one of these, it's fair that some leeway should be implemented to allow Corc's to easier enter cities. I like @Kholibrii's idea ton, though I think this would be only available to more experienced Corc's. If the Corc community says they can regulate this internally, they can organize an internal tier system, but if that doesn't work, a time requirement to reach certain tiers could be created.

This could be better for Corc players wanting to just get in and wreak havoc on their local city. Still, understandably the lore for salt being a sure-fire way of handling Corc's suddenly "not working" for Corc's would be a pretty significant culture shock and really only explainable by more experienced corc's having learned their way around it.

On 7/18/2023 at 2:09 AM, lemonke said:

or people who salt test anyone within their gate process, which limites the place where x corc may go.

'i chose the spook role in a game, but don't want the implications of a wretched creature that sucks on blood' type beat..

Just now, Salium said:

'i chose the spook role in a game, but don't want the implications of a wretched creature that sucks on blood' type beat..

What.

14 hours ago, Borin said:

WELCOME SPOOKS, COME INTO MY COMMUNITY AND EAT ALL THE NEWBORNS YOU LIKE!

pfft, imagine a nation testing newcomers at the gate during a vampire epidemic 

very metagame, very anti-spook, very unbased!

8 minutes ago, Salium said:

pfft, imagine a nation testing newcomers at the gate during a vampire epidemic 

very metagame, very anti-spook, very unbased!

I don't know what's going with the humans. I meant in general as it doesn't affect only one community, since I have seen being done by elves too, my comment wasn't aimed at anyone mainly. If you felt attacked by an example, which was also said from other people here; perhaps you should ask yourself how true that's it.

4 minutes ago, lemonke said:

If you felt attacked by an example, which was also said from other people here; perhaps you should ask yourself how true that's it.

i feel very attacked. 

8 hours ago, Salium said:

if that's all you're gathering from this conversation you need to re-read the thread and everything that's been said on here. maybe even reconsider your perception of RP as a whole while you're at it because "wuh vampires are being treated as second class citizens :(" isn't the issue being pointed out

I don't do the funni blood suck rp, and I don't play a catholic canonist gatekeeper, so idfk no what I'm talking about 

I doubt anyone would deny that it's a cool vibe to have the vampire epidemic testing thing going on, but it does really take away from some potentially great rp, and makes rping a corc go from having some funni darkspawn consequences to nearly impossible in half of all nations because of the testing

And even places like The Vale, which are famously anti-darkspawn, don't test everyone that comes their way. Plus, it's not fun for all the people who aren't spooks to have to sit there emoting how much it sucks to have salt poured into an open wound. And it's not just that you only get tested if you look suspicious, 'cause I've seen new players get tested and that just sucks

But the issue goes past this one mechanic, like someone else probably said already, so this is more like a band aid then a fix. Especially when you have to feed pretty much immediately after it just to get in the damn city in the first place

TL;DR both blood sucking and cutting people like that are very unsanitary and you should all focus on improving covid guidelines across Aevos

The discovery of the salt test was done through valid rp a long while ago, it is incredibly unfair to completely change your redlines because it has become common knowledge. You can't just change your weaknesses because people have discovered what they are. If you don't want to get discovered, don't go somewhere where they're doing mass testing or don't leave bodies in cites where they're likely to start testing people because of it.

Again, it is incredibly unfair to change your lore because your weaknesses were discovered, not through metagaming, but valid rp.

Edited by ReveredOwl

18 minutes ago, ReveredOwl said:

The discovery of the salt test was done through valid rp a long while ago, it is incredibly unfair to completely change your redlines because it has become common knowledge. You can't just change your weaknesses because people have discovered what they are. If you don't want to get discovered, don't go somewhere where they're doing mass testing or don't leave bodies in cites where they're likely to start testing people because of it.

Again, it is incredibly unfair to change your lore because your weaknesses were discovered, not through metagaming, but valid rp.

2 emotes is not fair or valid rp. Regardless of the rp that occurred however many years ago does not change that this a bad mechanic. Years before even vampires existed all holy magics could instantaneously reveal any dark spawn in a similar manner and it was rightfully removed as a mechanic due to how much of a cop out it was for actual investigative rp. People keep saying corcs should have more tells, but corcs do have to go out and feed without getting caught or someone ratting them out. As I've mentioned a few times in this thread multiple corcs have been caught by means other than salt testing so there really is not argument for a mechanic that purely exists as a way for people to meta freely.