The Road to 500 (realms)

TreeSmoothie

12 minutes ago, monkeypoacher said:

Decentralization is a problem with the map more than anything. Consolidating a bunch of realms into larger realms won't solve it. You have to make the map smaller or move nations closer together.

this

amount of realms doesn’t change the vast emptiness that fills the entire map, and the time it takes to get everywhere

1 hour ago, monkeypoacher said:

Decentralization is a problem with the map more than anything. Consolidating a bunch of realms into larger realms won't solve it. You have to make the map smaller or move nations closer together.

They did, this map is significantly smaller than Almaris and probably has double the realms. And as I mentioned in my painkiller-induced plan for world peace, there are currently 8 realms with touching borders.

image.png

let everyone make random realms so more sieges can happen because all the tiles are taken

5 hours ago, Dry Crackers said:

Hell, I would have liked occupation/conquest RP, but I think most of the haelun’or army hasn’t been active since their raid twenty minutes after winning the siege. 

We wanted to do said occupation RP, but were constantly told by moderation that we were not allowed to enter the tile en masse. This can be confirmed by Hnor army leadership.

I remember back in the prehistoric era when there were only like, five or six racial nations. But they weren't boring like you'd think they would be. Rather, almost all of these nations had vassals or settlements within them of some sort that each interacted with one another to contribute to the narrative. Rebellions happened yeah, but they created roleplay, and it was so hard to wage a successful one due to so many active groups being within these large nation-states.

All these different groups interacted together and created stories together, because they were in the same roleplaying ecosystem. It's easier to remain in your own little ecosystem, but contributing to a wider one bring more fun and satisfaction.

Now we don't have any "big" nations with diversity like this anymore. Instead, we have 24 smaller states, at least 12 of which would have been settlements under a larger nation like Oren (gone) or Malinor (gone) or Urguan (severely depleted). Coincidentally, roleplay quality has also gone down the tubes because groups don't interact with each other, leaving slice of life RP or PvP activities to be the only alternatives. Both of which are poor replacements for dynamic, narrative driven roleplay empowered by interesting characters.

16 hours ago, Reckless Banzai Screamer said:

There's some great things in being a vassal and having your group being apart of a community greater than itself and the world building you can accomplish with it, something folks seem to lack appreciation for. It's way more comfy being a vassal with your homies.

I 100% agree with this. You don't have to be an NL to enjoy roleplaying with your friends. In fact, I'd argue that the "townie" mindset the server tends to have is very harmful. It can often be a lot more impactful and memorable to do something on a smaller scale within a nation as a guild, or an organization, or a small vassal that fulfills a niche while still being able to roleplay in a nation capital and benefit from high activity levels and recruitment opportunities for their own projects...

7 hours ago, Ibn Khaldun said:

If you are sincerely interested in trying to roll a snowball into an avalanche & introduce a substantive & lasting culture or polity, playing as a vassal ensures you have a source of active players to interact with and let members of your culture/polity develop characters vis-a-vis interactions with said larger pool of active players (the nation you are a vassal under).

...Which brings me to this. Being part of another nation isn't shameful. In fact, it can be symbiotic and mutually beneficial to your group and theirs! And if your group ends up being absorbed into that nation, it really isn't a big deal so long as they're having fun and creating compelling narratives. We play on this server to make stories and have fun with our friends, at least in theory, and geopolitical roleplay should be only one aspect of that.

Also, these many nations would probably do a lot better if they weren't all inactive square-like megacities. For the love of all that's good, if you're a small nation PLEASE make a build for a small nation. Don't build Johannesburg when you have a group of 12 players, build a village or town!

TLDR: Too many nations, nation bloat bad. Reject mega-kingdom, return to vassal village or guild!

4 hours ago, monkeypoacher said:

I can't respond to @NotEvilAtAll because he came up with an idea that is actually new and not just a reactionary "noo everything was perfect the last time we complained!". So it's hard to comment on off-the-cuff.

But this is very true. Let's look at most nations on this map. Yes there's the usual Elven glut where we have 2-3 Wood Elf nations where we could have one, but the main source of glut is among humans. Petra, Aaun, Balian and Haense don't want to unite, and Veletz and Stassion (if they count) couldn't merge with anyone even if they wanted to. And then there's that Adunian nation who I love btw but whose name is beyond me.

You can't just merge these nations. It wouldn't work. And yet they can't just conquer each other. Thank God we have decent war rules now finally, but as @TreeSmoothie pointed out, a lost war generally just leads to the losing side setting up shop somewhere else.

Thankfully, we aren't a huge server with hundreds of realm apps a month. Even with this "insane" number now, it's 24 I think? Still well within the realm where apps can be dealt with on a case by case basis. And by that I mean, "hey you guys clearly come from Realm X. Can you explain why you guys need to form a new nation other than that A. you're bored of your vassals, or B. you're too edgy to even try being someone else's vassals for a month b4 whining?"

You'd learn a lot fast from a system like that.

18 hours ago, Jihnyny said:

Norland? Norland should IMO die, but its community is so tight that it'd be impossible. (people who only rp in Norland, and only with Norlanders, constant vc)

For what reason might I ask? Curious actually.

I personally don’t wish to be vassalized by people who would shit on my community or treat them incorrectly. This is why I have stuck to amathine for so long and will continue to do so.

vassals become realms for irp and ooc reasons. Whether their rp involves their moves or some ooc issues occur where such actions are needed.

sadly things happens, but I also don’t think realms without any rp or activity for a long period of time should continue to run, and try to find a place to keep their community under, in which case vassalization  is an ok option.

Just make the Holy Roman Empire! Technically Independent Entities under the same banner!

On 1/14/2024 at 9:13 AM, NotEvilAtAll said:

What LOTC needs is some universal land system that does away with Nation Status and differences between Realm Capital vs non-capital, etc. Put all of the vassals and independent settlements and cities and everything else on the same system and let interactions between settlements (tributary, vassal and overlord, allies, enemies, whatever) be determined dynamically.

This sounds a lot like freebuild

On 1/15/2024 at 2:16 AM, argonian said:

but the main source of glut is among humans. Petra, Aaun, Balian and Haense don't want to unite, and Veletz and Stassion (if they count) couldn't merge with anyone even if they wanted to.

I feel like it would be a problem if not most of the player base and new players was human.
Besides, most of these nations do have somewhat of a niche from what i have observed:
Want slavic vibes and bonk everyone and everything in your way? Haense
Want to be a Knight or a Mage? Petra
Want to do some Religious RP? Aaun
Want to RP World War I depression? Veletz

I'm obviously abbriviating a lot with jokes nor do i know much about Balian, Numendil or Nordland, besides that they are/were fairly active - but the point is, most of these human realms DO have vassals and most of them don't die off like the smaller realms that pop up.
Stassion did change their vassalisation from Petra to Aaun, same with Af Brasca with going to Veletz. Sucks that both of them got almost immedietly obliterated. 

TL;DR - Human nations aren't a problem imo but If you become a vassal of Petra, don't leave or we'll call papa Haense.

As someone who has recently come back to this server after many years of hiatus, i am 100% in support of any solution that can centralize rp. I have spent dozens of hours riding through entirely deserted realms trying to find even a singular soul to roleplay with.