Story Announcement - Winter Fixes and Updates

squakhawk

8 minutes ago, Periphonics said:

this may have been asked already, but does the freeze on shamanism apply to writing in lesser spirits for cultures, or is it in specific reference to rewrites and similar things?

The freeze is only for lore submissions. Anything culturally made is still fine as long as it follows the current lore. 

I like the ideas under the beastman section, but I feel as though Hou-Zi may be a poor choice to test this concept just based purely off their appearance.

genuine question what's the actual, tangible harm to the server if CAs/magics "underperform" or don't meet activity thresholds and why is it so undesired by the LT?

Revise Tawkins PK clause if possible please. Balances out the heavy nerf applied through these changes.

3 minutes ago, Unwillingly said:

genuine question what's the actual, tangible harm to the server if CAs/magics "underperform" or don't meet activity thresholds and why is it so undesired by the LT?

in the case of wonks it was just an immense amount of meme rp and then once that died it was 1 player (now permabanned) for like 5 months, even in legacy lore despite having like 50+ apps they havent been played at all

in the case of a more reasonable example such as say chi, or hou, or striga, players would pick it up then leave the server very often, which was surprising, but I noticed that it was causing more harm than good in these examples. we've taken less of a route for the inactive stuff because like 1/2 of the CAs on the server have 1 or 2 active players at best (I can even name a few CAs that nobody actively plays, such as sprites), where they havent actively harmed roleplay but havent really gotten the chance to either because nobody really plays them. 

8 minutes ago, Ewdrawings said:

Revise Tawkins PK clause if possible please. Balances out the heavy nerf applied through these changes.

just full remove the PK clause, the excuse is monks will reject you but even machine spirits don't have a pk clause for knowing it despite being a way to escape death.

animii should give you a PK clause if you learn machine spirits

i support removing ways for people to mass-produce minmaxed mutated soldiers
but i have 1 concern, if people cant be klones without having tawkin, wouldn't that incentivize spreading tawkin further so these people can become klones again?

1 hour ago, rukio said:

I love when tawkin gets gutted, a cap is put on clone #, mutations can only be held by ppl who died (l bozo?) and came back as clones (doesnt give the st management who do tawkins and their buddies a boost in power over everyone else at all), and there's still a pk clause on it despite almost every other pk clause being removed from the server including azdrazi's. 

Toxposters done did got to tawkin

I'm down for that too. (Removing Tawkins PK clause)

14 minutes ago, wowj said:

animii should give you a PK clause if you learn machine spirits

I'd agree if ST hadn't specifically removed the azdrazi hard pk clause to spite the knowledge being spread irp for irp reasons. 

Among other magics also losing their hard PK clauses.

Wooo! Excited for the Pantheon Project posts to start rolling out, some of my favorite lore on the server!

With the DeepFreeze of shamanism now Implimented. Just one simple question really does come to mind regarding the much  needed Critical amendements if it does come down to it, would there be any form of chance if it's deemed nessisary to expect past lore might be revived/reinstated in order to deal with the loops and or mixups between the two different lore bits in order to gain some form of stability?

Otherwise, no questions about anything else. Hope to see what events in general these will bring to the people 👍

5 hours ago, squakhawk said:

in the case of a more reasonable example such as say chi, or hou, or striga, players would pick it up then leave the server very often, which was surprising, but I noticed that it was causing more harm than good in these examples. we've taken less of a route for the inactive stuff because like 1/2 of the CAs on the server have 1 or 2 active players at best (I can even name a few CAs that nobody actively plays, such as sprites), where they havent actively harmed roleplay but havent really gotten the chance to either because nobody really plays them. 

As a Ex-Chi player now, with my view various view points I have to ask, does much get looked into when something like Chi did get a lot of interest at first then fell off? Kimi who was the main force and writer behind Chi left the server because of how she was treated at the time, and I followed suit, I believe two other Chi Teachers also left the server not because they had issues but because they were focusing on IRL matters such as study, is it really a problem with the magic when various other factors determine if a player sticks around with the server or not?

Admittedly I think when we were handling grandfathers looking back at it we failed to account for different factors on getting magic up and running without much oversight on our part, frankly we did not spread it out far enough to let other groups foster but at the time we were somewhat paranoid as if the wrong people get ahold of the magic and drop the overall perceived quality of a magic it will be destined for a shelving, so what I ask, is it a problem with the magic when two people relatively new to writing and handling a lore piece for the server didn't really do a great job with the distribution of the magic?

I think another problem I suffered when I was attempting to revive Chi at the time I feel like somewhat my quality of RP or entrance requirements dropped for obtaining, and this was what I felt necessity in order to keep Chi alive and active, but despite that, I still had plenty of people who were trying to schedule meetings with Sun Teachers to get connected as I was a Moon Teacher and couldn't do that, and not to mention, I was actively engaging in RP with Non-Monks and outsiders of Yong Ping via traveling to other places or taking part in events trying to drum up interest, not specifically for the magic itself but the fact we had Monk RP going on. The short of it is, it felt really hard to balance the quality that would be expected of a magic when you treated everyday like its last with a magic getting put on the shelf, which leads to the issue where inactive magics can cause more harm than good.

The only reason I felt the magic being shelved sucked was purely because I had a lot of fun when I was RPing with it and had some epic moments I wouldn't usually get anywhere else, and given the community's view on Kani being more inactive than Chi, it felt bad that people wouldn't have been able to get those interactions because of OOC mismanagement by inexperience rather than there being a fundamental issue with the magic. I don't know what else to add but I just hope my view point helps in some form, I think my biggest gripe with server is just if you have your own ideas on what type of RP you want to bring or magics you want to introduce is it needs to fall under the requirements of what ST have in mind, and it isn't exactly outlined anywhere, more so in terms of what aesthetics or general archetypes, if I wanted to introduce a Jedi/Sith magic for example, and have 20 people interested for both sides, but it all comes down to the people who determine if it gets introduced or not.