Discussion on Aurum Testing

Diogen

22 hours ago, Pancho said:

Agreeing with rukio. I played a vampire for months who was hunted and never changed identities, even when I was cornered. It’s called good faith and dynamic roleplay. Don’t just change identities when people know irply and you know they know oocly. It’s a sub tier response.

idk man if i was on the run from the cops from a crime that warrants the death penalty irl irl i dont think i would wanna keep my same appearance

21 hours ago, Nectorist said:

None of this would have happened if Attack on Titan didn't have multiple scenes of people slicing open their hands and shrugging it off, which has served as the inspiration for characters casually doing that without showing any pain. It's happened to me irl! It hurts! You can't close your hand for weeks afterwards!

Its happened to me as well when I was kid. It hurts. its not fun and it takes a long time to heal. Thus why I find it cringe for 1. people even doing it just to 'test' anyone and everyone. and 2. anyone showing pain accused of being a witch. It doesn't make ******* sense. 

with the amount of scars every persona has on their arms from testing you'd think we're all suicidal

So lets make testing less cut-ish and more interesting with different ingredients and methods and things that make it cost more and take more effort to do instead of whining about people using the current method too effectively! :))

For the same reason I dislike CRP lock, I'm reluctant to nerf anti-CA testing.

That reason is strategy.

As a CA (I play a Corictura myself), there should be some natural aversion to large cities whose culture is stepped in religious dogma. This just naturally computes, so - as part of the CA experience, which should fundamentally shape your RP - trying to infiltrate these locations should be fairly daunting, given the consequences.

That said, I do think there's an issue in the en masse testing, and the fact the tests are so generic. I'd much rather see each CA have their own specific weaknesses and vulnerabilities rather than a one-size-fits-all, which is definitely where a part of this issue comes from. I'd also love to see more disinformation about CA races -- vampires being weak to garlic is an example of what I mean. It's a cute cultural flair that reflects the religious paranoia of these zealous human cities, but it's probably a long-shot in this age of easy information access.

Whenever I'm playing a Corcitura, my character makes the conscious decision to stay away from these problem cities because of how quick they are on the trigger to test potential Darkspawn. Irrespective of the mass-testing issue, I think this RP approach makes perfect sense. For my character, there's very little that could be worth visiting these cities for because of the threat they pose to him. Instead, touring smaller settlements and roads is a much more sensible source of blood, and much more fitting for a character. This isn't to say that CA should avoid these cities completely, only that the religious culture and the danger of discovery should form part of the CA experience and the character's development. I think it would be cool to see infiltrations of these cities as more of a 'long-con', such as setting up some kind of faction within the city as a cover for themselves, rather than a travelling stranger showing up, for whom it may sometimes make sense to be regarded with suspicion.

Either way, that's my experience with CAs -- while I won't claim to speak for the majority, I've definitely found the approach enjoyable. I do wish CA-testing was varied, rather than nerfed.

Probably should change the material darkspawn are weak to , into something that isn't an open source material like aurum. 

Probably should revise how aurum works, make it still effective to darkspawn but not in such small quantities that a cut on the hand outs them immediately, then add more varied ways to identify darkspawn that isn't reliant on an open source material that never runs out.

23 hours ago, ReveredOwl said:

a knight could work up the ranks and plots treason, he gets discovered and executed for it, how is it fair and reasonable that they could change all of their physical features and looks to repeat it all over again, every time they get discovered?

i dont care about aurum tests but magicless descendants can do this with alchemy anyway. ive seen human plotters change their appearances many times. but in your scenario, the knight doesnt have to deal with the weaknesses that come with a magic. when executed, the knight instantly respawns at ct, unlike the death cooldowns some magics have. theres no way to spooktest the knight, zero way to go after them. the annoying infinite disguise meta isnt just a darkspawn problem. theres also not much difference between that and players who chase leadership on every character they play until they get it.

On 1/27/2024 at 9:15 PM, Zanael Moonstrider said:

Also I've been told to test multiple times... I'm a Musin... we can't become Darkspawn It just makes the rp seem kinda lazy and autopiloted.

Wait, Musin can't become darkspawn? Really? This sounds kinda sad.

On 1/27/2024 at 12:15 PM, Zanael Moonstrider said:

I feel like on one hand Aurum testing makes sense... if there's been a Darkspawn issue in the city doing the testing.

However doing Darkspawn testing on every single person that enters a city when there's not been any Darkspawn issues seems a bit paranoid.

You are right with this. Nor’asath use to schizo do this. It just is easier to let people pass by and it generates real roleplay, not filtering out people because I have them locked in a gate with a golden dagger and bag of salt.

But, this is not to say aurum testing is bad though. With real reason, suspicion, and investigation, it is sweet to find who your character suspects to be a monster hiding within a city.

Edited by Turbo_Dog