[The Infernal Compendium Amendment] Magic Slot Clarification

Old:

[✓] [Magic Lore + Playable CAs] Naztherak - Dark - The Lord Of The Craft,
Under "[T1-T5] Naz’kuthun - [Non-Combative] [Creation Ritual]":

Spoiler

- Characters transformed in this way will lose their prior deific and holy magics, though they may keep voidal magics, blood magic, or seer should it fall within the slot restrictions of Zar’ei.

New:
[✓] [CA Creature + Non-Playable Creature Lore] [Naztherak] The Infernal Compendium - Magical - The Lord Of The Craft,

To be added to the redlines of the respective archetypes under "Zar'ei"/ "Zezimar":

Spoiler

Under "[Mage Type] - Malda"
- Malda have 4 magic slots, and can practice blood magic, feat and slotted seer, bardmancy and housemagery, as well as voidal magics including any voidal feats besides scion.

Under "[Knight Type] - Kozun"
- Kozun have 3 magic slots, and can practice blood magic, feat and slotted seer, bardmancy and housemagery.

Under "[Brute Type] - Rakaal"
- Rakaal have 2 magic slots and can practice blood magic, bardmancy.

Reasoning:
Though already established canon in both the Naztherak MA lore and the Moz Strimoza and the Inferi World Lore, and despite the fact there are already played inferi which practice magics, there is at this time no currently accepted clarification on the magical capabilities of the zar'ei player CAs. This amendment is intended to clarify such and disambiguate an area of the lore that is currently enforced head-canon. 

EDIT: As per feedback, seer compatibility will hinge on the acceptance of an accompanying seer amendment to follow shortly; without it mentions of seer should probably be omitted from this amendment please.

God bless you vhorazu this has been needed for a while :) 

I don't particularly like the idea of the CA filling slots

Imo the CA lacks too much substance to fill slots. They mostly get physical aesthetics, which don't get me wrong are cool and all, but aren't worth multiple slots. The physical attributes can have some combative effects, sure, such as extra arms (that have their own drawbacks), claws, or weak natural armor.

The spells they get access to are limited with no non-combative abilities for fun rp. They have no unique abilities of their own either.

Rakaal lose all their slots for a cool demonic form, orc strength (which isn't all too special imo), and one or two spells with little maelus.

Kozun lose three slots in return for a cool demonic form and access to a few more spells and a bit more maelus compared to Rakaal.

Malda lose one slot in return for voidal strength, a decent pool of malflame spells, and quite a bit of maelus.

They all get the drawback of not being able to hide their form so their RP is limited as well as forced to listen to all commands their Naz gives them.

A two-slotted Naztherak has access to way more abilities, both combative and non-combative, while their rp isn't as limited being able to blend in with society.

Overall if the CA had more substance I could understand it costing a slot but zar'ie are near parallels to descendants besides their demonic forms and access to a few malflame spells and some maelus. It is overall a mid CA and taking away slots will only make it worse, people can still demon larp as a Naz while having access to more slots, spells, and abilites. Maybe instead of an amendment Zar'ie deserves a rewrite.

31 minutes ago, BakedPotato said:

I don't particularly like the idea of the CA filling slots

Imo the CA lacks too much substance to fill slots. They mostly get physical aesthetics, which don't get me wrong are cool and all, but aren't worth multiple slots. The physical attributes can have some combative effects, sure, such as extra arms (that have their own drawbacks), claws, or weak natural armor.

The spells they get access to are limited with no non-combative abilities for fun rp. They have no unique abilities of their own either.

Rakaal lose all their slots for a cool demonic form, orc strength (which isn't all too special imo), and one or two spells with little maelus.

Kozun lose three slots in return for a cool demonic form and access to a few more spells and a bit more maelus compared to Rakaal.

Malda lose one slot in return for voidal strength, a decent pool of malflame spells, and quite a bit of maelus.

They all get the drawback of not being able to hide their form so their RP is limited as well as forced to listen to all commands their Naz gives them.

A two-slotted Naztherak has access to way more abilities, both combative and non-combative, while their rp isn't as limited being able to blend in with society.

Overall if the CA had more substance I could understand it costing a slot but zar'ie are near parallels to descendants besides their demonic forms and access to a few malflame spells and some maelus. It is overall a mid CA and taking away slots will only make it worse, people can still demon larp as a Naz while having access to more slots, spells, and abilites. Maybe instead of an amendment Zar'ie deserves a rewrite.

I agree they do need a rewrite. Demons generally are in a bad state, though rewrites have already been attempted and denied, and whilst that's certainly a worthy pursuit, for now saying 'they need a rewrite instead' doesn't really help anyone.

The purpose of this amendment is to fix the lore for people to work with what we have. Hopefully something better will come along eventually, but with no clear date in mind for that (I'm sure someone will read this and be tempted to reply "uhm actually I'm working on a rewrite" but that doesn't guarantee that it'll be finished, let alone accepted, in a timely manner), this is a much needed immediate fix.

The thought process behind the slots was:

Malda already have access to most of malflame manipulation. Naztherak in its basest form takes up two magic slots, and Malda should have access to roughly half of that inherently with the same physical drawbacks of naztherak; voidal weakness and, going off of this logic, one magic slot. So they are left with four.

Kozun have access to a decent amount of spells, though nowhere near as many as Malda. However they make up for this with they lack voidal magic weakness. Whilst there are inherent boons to be taken into account; there is a difference between 'peak human physicality' and just not being voidal weak, after all...  I can still appreciate compared to your average descendant they're still in most ways worse off. I've increased their slots up to three, though their magic access is staying restricted in what types of magic they can wield, which are intended to have very little bearing on combat encounters

Rakaal are on par with the strongest possible non-CA descendants, at 'peak orcish physicality'. Whilst, yes, an orc could claim they are 'also at their peak', the implication here is that no non-CA character could ever be physically stronger than a Rakaal. Whilst negligible compared to the other subtypes, they do also have limited malflame access. Upon reflection however they are, despite the name 'brutes', not stupid. Nor is there any lore reason for them being completely inept at magic, though for the sake of in-game balance they should still remain restricted. I've added that they have 2 slots, and can learn bardmancy or blood magic; still the most magically limited, with the magics available to them serving a predominantly ritual/ noncombative role befitting their capabilities. 

Thank you for this feedback!

I would complain this should be more given we've got naztherak, mystic, and necro zentherak so there being crossover between inferi and really most magic make sense. But for mechanical / slot purposes I see how those might be unachievable or clunky and this is a decent middle ground approach. Inferi definitely need some love, sort of sucks they must be bound and be a poop slave.

17 minutes ago, Zarsies said:

I would complain this should be more given we've got naztherak, mystic, and necro zentherak so there being crossover between inferi and really most magic make sense. But for mechanical / slot purposes I see how those might be unachievable or clunky and this is a decent middle ground approach. Inferi definitely need some love, sort of sucks they must be bound and be a poop slave.

NOOO ZARSIES, NOOO WE CANT ENCOURAGE MAGIC STACK ANYMORE

2 hours ago, femurlord said:

NOOO ZARSIES, NOOO WE CANT ENCOURAGE MAGIC STACK ANYMORE

hello femulord I am jentos I am an azdrazi player could you help me make a cart that could make me have druidism and templarism ?

Some more inferi love. Thank you for this, I hope it goes through!

On the topic of seer, I figure I should mention:

The current seer write from 2022 (https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/211641-✓-feat-magic-lore-seers-cozeners-of-vaasek/) has zevn and zar'ei marked down as incompatible. Incompatibilities generally trump compatibilities when it comes to lore if both are explicitly stated, so I'd recommend accompanying this amendment with another for seer compatibility if seer is to be made available to them.

Otherwise, cool clarifications to come, it seems 👍

53 minutes ago, Hyperdron said:

On the topic of seer, I figure I should mention:

The current seer write from 2022 (https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/211641-✓-feat-magic-lore-seers-cozeners-of-vaasek/) has zevn and zar'ei marked down as incompatible. Incompatibilities generally trump compatibilities when it comes to lore if both are explicitly stated, so I'd recommend accompanying this amendment with another for seer compatibility if seer is to be made available to them.

Otherwise, cool clarifications to come, it seems 1f44d.png

Very good point! Thank you for highlighting this. I recall from conversations with @Zarsies, Vaasek would logically have unwitting infernal servants (presumably chalking their sight up to Iblees/ Ixris/ the Pentacle), as there are absolutely witnesses in the Hells and there is very little rhyme nor reason why an inferis from their end couldn't practice the magic.

I know at one point there was an argument around inferi 're-growing eyes', though given the mutilated nature of all inferi I don't see why they couldn't simply be created blind or be permanently scarred with malflame. Maybe something to clarify in an accompanying amendment, as you suggested. I've added a note in the submission and will try to think through this seer piece ASAP.

Multiclassing should have more drawbacks. In my opinion, five slots of magic is far too high to begin with. 

Though, still +1.