Magic Roleplay Q/a

Jistuma

No, but the 2 archtypes thing still applies (mostly because of lore), and having too many magics would mean that most likely, your character wouldn't be very good with most of them.

Is the rule of how many magic types you can learn still established (up to 3) or has it been ignored and may I ever de-learn a magic just by ignoring my knowledge of it (I would start back at Tier 1 if I learned it and used it again) or have an accident happen that could cause memory loss?  

It seems to be a common misunderstanding the difference between "Learning a magic" and "Using a magic" While what you have learned is more difficult to forget. You can lose the ability to use it over time. Just as if a pro sports alethet stopped training and preforming their sport.

While it may never fully fade, and could easily be recovered with effort and practice again, it is possible to lose ability.

There are exceptions, always exceptions. Such as Necromancer like abilities that require you to use them to stay alive, or Patron granted benefits. Although anyone that goes a long time without following their patron and preforming on their behalf may find other consequences.

It seems to be a common misunderstanding the difference between "Learning a magic" and "Using a magic" While what you have learned is more difficult to forget. You can lose the ability to use it over time. Just as if a pro sports alethet stopped training and preforming their sport.

True. Elindor has learnt just about every Arcane Magic that exists, but he does not maintain the abilities to use them.

You put it in here I can create my own magic. I have been designing my own witchcraft type magic for the last few months IC. I haven't done anything advanced with the witchcraft since its not accepted. May I use the witchcraft in game and do some more advanced things beside having things float across the room?

Was asked a question and it brought up an interesting point that I think should be defined SPECIFICALLY, rather than left up to assumption.

Wielding multiple magic makes someone stupidly hard to fight in RP. The Mechanical Standard would dictate that if you removed the "magic" from it one must consider the duel as though the mage is holding a regular weapon. Therefore if no player is able to pick up more than two weapons at once, it should also be noted that a Mage cannot cast any more than two different spells at once without their mind having to be literally fragmented.

Would appreciate if this could be cleared up, and also tacked on as a magic rule so there is no further confusion. No more than two "spells" can be cast simultaneously.

I would think only well spell is able to be conjured at one time to add more effect and mages to work together, besides having a mage casting stone walls with fire shooting outwards. Though I guess this won't be considered, it is just my point of view. Though saying that it is casting one magic, you can cast multiple of that said one magic.

The PVP side will obviously mean only casting one thing at a time as one must switch spells first. But that doesn't change the fact that roleplaying provides a greater opportunity for in-depth magic combat. If a soldier can hold a shield in one hand and a sword in another then so could a mage. But any more than that is impractical.

Yet holding a shield with a blade is different to holding two magics. You need to understand different mana constraints and everything added. Though I will say two spells you could perform but at a weaker level as they are two different places in magic, if void magic, water evocation is different to fire evocation, ect. To which it has to split two mental forms opening a weaker form of that said magic. As with this casting one spell at a time you can gain a higher and more powerful spell effect. Go by you wish but if you want to see about having that extra edge of more power do not work with two spells at once?

-Snip-

I'd like to point something out; casting any element-based evocation along with any element-based evocation is honestly not that challanging, logically that is. You're essentially just thinking of an element, then using mana to draw it from the Void into the real world; and from a balance standpoint, fire isn't really better then any other elements, as the other elements aren't better then eachother. If you've the mana pool to cast a fireball, then shoot some stone right after, why not? Heck, it even opens possibilitys to mix spells.

Now, if you mixed several arcane sub-types, thats a different story. In this case, you'd be (for example) shooting a fireball, and casting an illusionary disguise, you're essentially reading two books at once. It's not easy because the two methods of magic aren't the same. You're offering a figment to anothers mind, whilst evoking flame? You're thinking about two things at once!

Kalameet is more correct. Evoking when you are already evoking is easier than illusioning while you are already evoking, which is in turn easier than clerical healing while you are evoking.

The more similar it is, the easier it is to do together.

Though as Kalameet stands correct and I do not wish to create a argument or anything I ask, the void of summoning, air, water, earth, fire and electricity are all different are they not? The void itself no, but the compounds of each element which you must know and than summon once more, holding two different thoughts at once of two different element compounds. It is 'hard' to do but essentially it is not possible. Though that is what I ask, is this correct?

Regardless of stages in magical training am I required to actually emote "connect to void to conjure a orb of water" then "shape water into weird object" then "turns weird object into ice"

Lets say you're a master pyromancer or hydromancer, I mean a legit master from Aegis or early Asulon, can you just conjure spells without emoting connecting to the void? Could I just conjure ice off the bat?

Reason I'm asking is because at the later stages of magic training, connecting to the void and pulling random stuff should come natural to a character, thus it would logically require less emotes to get something magical done.

Magical emotes ought not involve the emote *connects to the void at all. That is intra-personal. Emotes are inter-personal. You emote what is observable, you don't emote thoughts and things people can't see.

Emote twitching, light shimmering... Flames slowly growing and coalescing into a fireball.

ttwesten, you can summon more than one evocation element at once.

If my character has transfiguration, would he be able to hold an object in his hand and turn it into dust (like very little peices of that object)?

If so, how long might that take, presuming he is well trained?

Thanks.

Transmutation* is simply changing, or making an object lesser then it's previous state. The ability to force this new state to become it's new natural state requires a lot of mana, although is possible. But you won't be doing it in large portions, and you'll be very tired afterwards.

How fast it happens I'd suppose depends on skill-level and the area in which you're trying to transmute. I'd base it off that, and make it reasonable. A transmuted area of a football may take a few moments for a skilled Alterationist. Self regulation is all you need.