What's The Deal With Orcish Height?

Swgrclan

Where did these ologs come from anyway?

It was one of two ways i cant honestly remember

1, Player lore accepted by lore masters ((Remember that weird process you went through))

2, Mogroka when he was Admin

Anyways this conversation has gone on tangents that are just odd i think ill leave it here and the GM's can read over this and decide if they want to leave it the way it is or take it as noted feedback and do somthing. 

I can't say I was glad to see after I got off work (thus is why I did not participate in the discussion as much, I apologize) that my proposal was taken as complete absurdity and devolved into this mess of condescending retorts and down-right irrelevancy. Now, I'm gonna lay this clarification down for the last time - this is not a post to depower the apparently RP-oppressed Orcish race who, as I've seen claimed, are weak in all aspects beyond their height. These excuses of mechstandard and the good ol' "why do you care it doesn't affect you/it's a fantasy setting it doesn't matter" do not pertain to the topic's purpose. What I was trying to relay in this thread that Orcs do not NEED the height. Their height us excessive, and if paired with this "evenly proportioned bodymass" idea, it suggests they are killing machines and may rightfully overpower the other races - which they should not. All four races are intended to be equal in their own ways, and if giant-Orcs are allowed, it takes sense out of the balance of the four-race structure itself.

It promotes future player mistakes. Who knows until someone is 11 feet, or 12, and then try to justify unruly strength with mechanical standard or the fact it's always been that way. The Orcs in this thread need to chill out and stop calling out folks for being mad and acting petty and bitter because someone brought up an error in this communities fantasy setting. I wouldn't care if this server was set on Second Life or some pixel game, the point still stands despite the medium.

Being tall doesn't give you a combat advantage past maybe more range, but that's more dependent on the length of your arms, not how tall you are, so if you see anyone rping a knuckle dragger then you can call bull. Reason for this is that the centre of gravity for taller people is much higher, meaning that they are easily put off balance and thus easier to knock over if you aim for the legs. It's why a lot of Rugby players aren't that tall, being tall just means you're going to be put on your arse more often.

Being tall also affects the agility of the character, so don't expect many acrobatic orcs and high Elves, or the general population of Humans which are usually 6ft.   

Why does it bother you? If all of the orcs got together and made a post asking if the lore could be changed so they could be smaller, that's one thing. But when someone who has no affiliation to the orcs tries to have their lore changed and take away from their roleplay, that's not okay with me, and shouldn't be okay with anyone. It's not your business; let them do what they want to do and have done for ages.

Don't you have anything better to be doing? 

Those same 9ft orcs don't seem to have issues walking into human buildings and through human doors without crouching or slouching due to their height. Hm.

Heh try being a halfling, when those 9 foot orcs just slide in through your burrow door

but thats besides the point, I like how massive they are

Why does it bother you? If all of the orcs got together and made a post asking if the lore could be changed so they could be smaller, that's one thing. But when someone who has no affiliation to the orcs tries to have their lore changed and take away from their roleplay, that's not okay with me, and shouldn't be okay with anyone. It's not your business; let them do what they want to do and have done for ages.

Don't you have anything better to be doing?

Please, spare me the "anything better to do" droll and remain on topic. You are upset over a proposition or suggestion. Passive aggressiveness does not aid anything.

I played several Orcs since having joined the server in 2011 and have been in tune with them well in the past before having moved on to other characters. I am well aware how they work and it's anyone's "business" (you act as if an entire race's roleplay is private) to seek a correction in what they consider inconsistent in this community. Removing height will not steal their roleplay, it is literally giving them the ability to fit past doorways without smacking their chests against the top of doorframes and allowing them to become a more relatable race like the rest of the server's races are. No Elf is 8 feet tall, nor any human or dwarf, with the latter being impossible.

The thing is I do not believe the Orcish race has had this phenomenon for ages, and it makes it very annoying to RP with them as they are inhumanely big, and even worse to RP fight with them, because they constantly demand victory for their size! When the humans were getting too big, pressure was put on them to stop RPing 8 foot tall behemoths, and they did, when goblins were getting freakishly small, pressure was put on them to stop RPing 2 foot troll characters, and they did.

Can't see why the Orcs can do something similar, it has little to no relevance to the contemporary Orc RP if everyone agrees to drop a foot of height for a more authentic race. Nothing is changed outside of a number change in one's biography as, unlike say the humans (going from 5 to 6 foot is a significant jump because it is the range of human height), going from 8'9'' to 7 foot still gets the roleplay across that the Orc is big and strong, but doesn't make them seem like some alien event race which is freakishly, unreliably, huge.

Please, spare me the "anything better to do" droll and remain on topic. You are upset over a proposition or suggestion. Passive aggressiveness does not aid anything.

I played several Orcs since having joined the server in 2011 and have been in tune with them well in the past before having moved on to other characters. I am well aware how they work and it's anyone's "business" (you act as if an entire race's roleplay is private) to seek a correction in what they consider inconsistent in this community. Removing height will not steal their roleplay, it is literally giving them the ability to fit past doorways without smacking their chests against the top of doorframes and allowing them to become a more relatable race like the rest of the server's races are. No Elf is 8 feet tall, nor any human or dwarf, with the latter being impossible.

That wasn't passive aggressive. I'm straight up telling you that I hate your idea. I don't know how it gets less passive aggressive than that. :O

I'm just saying that maybe it would be best to consult a large playerbase of people before changing their roleplay, even if you think it doesn't affect them and it's for the better. I'm not trying to be a ****, and I appreciate what your goal here is; to make them more relatable, etc; but I just don't think it's your place to do so. You dig?

sizechart2.png

To give a general idea of sizes. It's amazing how big two feet actually is or what difference it makes, but the point still stands that size isn't everything. And comes with drawbacks. 

sizechart2.png

To give a general idea of sizes. It's amazing how big two feet actually is or what difference it makes, but the point still stands that size isn't everything. And comes with drawbacks. 

The Almighty Blundermore has spoken! Now somebody L&A this topic please? :P

Not until the LT has given their insight on the matter. Either them or staff.