[✗] The Degradation of Aurum

Swgrclan

Instead of rendering Aurum useless, perhaps just allow it to have the effects of an Iron sword on a monster (look to the Witcher games as an example)

Steel hurts normal everyday folk,

Aurum works like steel on monsters/wraiths/whatever bad mamojama is coming my way

That's what myself and many others have been suggested, but the dark arts users are insistant on making it required to get a Cleric's services to make any dent in a Wraith.

That's rather silly, in my opinion. Alot of the evil players (mostly necromancers) often play clerics/paladins as well. It's a conflict in interest, they can't be in two places at once. 

Instead of rendering Aurum useless, perhaps just allow it to have the effects of an Iron sword on a monster (look to the Witcher games as an example)

Aurum works like steel on monsters/wraiths/whatever bad mamojama is coming my way

That's what myself and many others have been suggested, but the dark arts users are insistant on making it required to get a Cleric's services to make any dent in a Wraith.

I think you're still ignoring the fact of the matter that gold isn't the only means to drive Wraiths away. Pyromancy is not a rare profession, and if I may add, the frequency in which Wraiths will be directly assaulting entire cities and settlements will be lowering as per the induction of new Darkstalkers and Liches who will go about their will instead. The idea is to turn the Wraiths into a rarity, confronting mortals so boldly only when the time is right. 

I think you're still ignoring the fact of the matter that gold isn't the only means to drive Wraiths away. Pyromancy is not a rare profession, and if I may add, the frequency in which Wraiths will be directly assaulting entire cities and settlements will be lowering as per the induction of new Darkstalkers and Liches who will go about their will instead. The idea is to turn the Wraiths into a rarity, confronting mortals so boldly only when the time is right. 

I agree with this. I myself have more people doing my work for me, but my ghouls are still useless. You'd probably see less of many Necromancers should this go through, as things would require less intervention on their part. I know my Necromancer would rather sit on his pale bony arse than go fight some elves.

In LotC, everyone is a Witcher wielding a sword of gold and a sword of iron, skilled in their use and knowledgeable of when each is useful. I would support this.

My thoughts exactly. I support this.

How about something like...

1) Smite enchantment does extra damage against Undead races

2) Smite enchantment can only be applied to gold.

This way gold (magegold) would more or less retain its affinity with undead hunting, so it's in accordance with the lore. All the while these Smite weapons would be somewhat accessible, making it possible to prepare for liches, but not too accessible. Also, Smite is the minecraft way undead mobs are dealt with so it's familliar to players and in harmony with the mechanics. 

You people make me shake my head.

I still don't understand why evil feels the need to present itself in the form of "I'M GOING TO ENGAGE IN GLORIOUS COMBAT" instead of being, you know, actually evil. The reason the forces of good should be entirely more powerful then any liches or wraiths or anything of the sort is that they have MORALS. Undead don't. Evil doesn't care who it uses or abuses in its' path, manipulating innocents, intimidating others, and being as scummy as one could desire to their hearts content. When I see liches' walking around in daylight and openly battling warriors and clerics, I die a little inside.

"Good" antagonist RP doesn't need or require you to directly march on the forces of light; your actions should bring about more RP, and including others (I'm sure plenty of people like character development) as parts of your schemes, knowing or unknowing is a wonderful way to go about your day. The "edgies" are seen as just that because (almost)literally every evil person encountered is either a stereotypical assassin or some kind of void mage/undead, with no such thing as antiheroes or variation in the so often-repeated repetoire we've had going since 1.0.

Swgr, bae, your great and all and one of the better RPers I know/have known (wolfie, btw. Don't know if you recognize that name), but this is stuff you do too. Don't go ham and try to be a nazgul - settle for being sauron and using your agents instead of putting yourself at "risk" in RP and subjecting yourself to (IMO) reasonable weaknesses. I learned this when I stopped playing my angsty-as-hell Dark Elf merchant back in the day and re-evaluating what "Villain" RP was, and how I should go about it.

(not that i actually do that now. pvp default is my only way forward.)

How about something like...

1) Smite enchantment does extra damage against Undead races

2) Smite enchantment can only be applied to gold.

This way gold (magegold) would more or less retain its affinity with undead hunting, so it's in accordance with the lore. All the while these Smite weapons would be somewhat accessible, making it possible to prepare for liches, but not too accessible. Also, Smite is the minecraft way undead mobs are dealt with so it's familliar to players and in harmony with the mechanics. 

Yeah I was thinking about something like this.

There are a few problems with this lore.

1) It takes a group of players, the Markedmen, and completely disintegrates their purpose. Mind you, these players (myself included) actually have crazy amounts of training in game (you can't become one without it) and study bestiaries to combat monsters. 

2) The Holy Magic users and the Dark Magic users all seem to be fairly well connected out of character, most belonging to niches on both sides of the spectrum. The problem that arises from this is the fact that its essentially a "monopoly" on the great roleplay that can come from the conflicts these two groups have.

A solution:

The best way for aurum to be degraded is instead of aurum instantly dispelling the necro's and spectres, have it equate to what an iron sword would be to a human. It slices and dices yes, but it doesn't evaporate the entity.  

Edited by DelaneyG

1) It takes a group of players, the Markedmen, and completely disintegrates their purpose. Mind you, these players (myself included) actually have crazy amounts of training in game (you can't become one without it) and study bestiaries to combat monsters. 

2) The Holy Magic users and the Dark Magic users all seem to be fairly well connected out of character, most belonging to niches on both sides of the spectrum. The problem that arises from this is the fact that its essentially a "monopoly" on the great roleplay that can come from the conflicts these two groups have.

A solution:

The best way for aurum to be degraded is instead of aurum instantly dispelling the necro's and spectres, have it equate to what an iron sword would be to a human. It slices and dices yes, but it doesn't evaporate the entity.  

Basically this.

A solution:

I agree with everything Delaney has said here. I don't think this lore is a good idea and just encourages more elitism within groups and requires small RP groups to try and force the larger ones to adapt around them rather than the smaller groups adapting around the large.

A solution:

I'd be down with this. It drives away/temporarily demanifests dark beings, but it doesn't kill them? Sounds fair.

As a ghoul, I am finding it harder and harder to find rp because more and more settlements are placing down a few gold blocks to lock me and other necrolytes out. Placing those blocks required no rp, all it took was someone able to mine for a few minutes to get 3-5 gold blocks, and then, bam, no more rp for necrolytes in that town. So far Felsen, Port Vydic, Dwarves(for a bit), Kha, Caliphate and probably more places block out necrolyte rp with some gold they mined.

And then there's gold swords, which are carried around by most people now. After you spend a year and a day looking for rp and eventually find someone, you start rping and almost instantly you're dead because they got 1 touch with a gold sword.

This needs to take affect before necrolytes run out of places to rp for more than 1 minute.

Thank you for reading.

This lore submission has been denied

This Lore has been denied. Topic moved to Denied Lore forum.