Recovering The Ancient Tongue Of The Elves.

Sporadic

What would 'spider' be in elvish?

You could try esun'anoh'wyanii (Little eight feet.)

This is going to sound like an Odd one but here goes

What would : "live long and prosper friend". It may sound cliche but I think it fits rather well with the Mali'aheral way of life as to make kids is seen as a good thing and living long lives is something we are good at. :)

This is going to sound like an Odd one but here goes

What would : "live long and prosper friend". It may sound cliche but I think it fits rather well with the Mali'aheral way of life as to make kids is seen as a good thing and living long lives is something we are good at. :)

Perhaps dion'yallr'ehya van'ayla?

Dion - Long

Yallr - Live

Ehya - And

Van - Be

Ayla - Good?

Perhaps dion'yallr'ehya van'ayla?

Dion - Long

Yallr - Live

Ehya - And

Van - Be

Ayla - Good?

Isn't Van'ayla good bye? I was really hoping for something that would tell them to have more babies ( to be blunt) as the mali'aheral are always asking their people to do that in marriage. 

Ah, elven tongue is prospering it seems. Good! I've seen many worlds since the foundations of this work, but I still come here now and then to look and feel myself content.

How would you say things like et cetera, et al, and things like that in elvish?  If an elf is writing, it makes sense he would use the elvish version, not what would presumably be the flexio version.

Laurir Ceru'Chirr addition to the ancient language in attempt to bring it modern.

(All Expandable)

(h)aran - King, without an 'h' its just Lord or Baron. ( haran Sheffield = King Sheffield, aran Powell = Lord Powell. )

en' - of used as a prefix onto the next word ( haran en'cihi, King of city. )

tel' - the used as a prefix onto next word, unless added to another suffix ( prefix on prefix = en'tel = of the , and on word = tel'cihi = the city)

(a)min - Myself, without the 'a' its my. ( en'amin =

tat - will added either before or after the word

seler' - Sister added to another word, such as; is, will, my... etc. ( seler'min = my sister [ added word moves to back if in front ] seler'tat = sister will )

lenaema = Please is usually referred as please, unless asking permission.

Lenaem = Permit, this is used to grant permission.

haent = Thank you is commonly the used phrase, unless among other Mali.

haent'an = Many thanks, or very grateful.

aleir(a) = powerful, without (a) its Power

lin'nor = Homeland, the originating lands of the party, person specified

ignesae = Destroy, singular. Destruction is 'Igne'sae'

Didn't want you to think I was ignoring you Tecno... let me go over your words.

lenaema = Please is usually referred as please, unless asking permission.

Okay yeah sure. There's a lot of creative ways to 'petition' in ancient elven though.

Lenaem = Permit, this is used to grant permission.

Hmm sure.

haent = Thank you is commonly the used phrase, unless among other Mali.

There's no explicit word for thanks but conventionally, the Elves use ahernan! for 'thanks' and ahernan ito nae'leh for 'thank you' (see also Elven Sentences thread).

haent'an = Many thanks, or very grateful.

Actually the intensifier ma( r )- would be appropriate here

aleir(a) = powerful, without (a) its Power

Sounds good, although the -ir suffix almost always makes the word refer to a person.

lin'nor = Homeland, the originating lands of the party, person specified

Correct

ignesae = Destroy, singular. Destruction is 'Igne'sae'

igne'sae is indeed destruction but as is case of the 'sae (spreading of)' words the verb destroy would be igne'saer (igne'saere - I destroy, igne'saereyae - they destroy, etc.)

As always there's full freedom for making your own dialect, adaptation or bastardization of Elven for any reason you might like. There's Mori speak, the Dark Elven 'hard consonant' family of words and some derivative languages going around. This is just open-ended lore freedom which I fully endorse and encourage, although we do not officially support any of the dialects so you'll have to maintain your own topic.

I wanted to give my own thoughts on some of your words, though. Do with it what you will.

(h)aran - King, without an 'h' its just Lord or Baron. ( haran Sheffield = King Sheffield, aran Powell = Lord Powell. )

Elves don't generally have many specific words for titles of office/status as this is a habit rooted in human culture (King, Duke, Baron, Marquess, Earl, Lord, etc.). If you look at Elven (and High Elven) titles you will see the titles are just verbs with 'ir' appended (see grammar rules as to why). Laurir becomes Prince, but does not mean Prince but rather 'one who is favored'. Okarir is Keeper, Tilruir becomes servant and even Sohaer is just a militant term for cleric. Being congruent with Elven culture would mean your word 'haran' has an inherent meaning, then was adapted for use as an office.

en' - of used as a prefix onto the next word ( haran en'cihi, King of city. )

Ancient Elven does this simply by linking the two words themselves, where the adjecitve follows the noun. In this example, haran'cihi - King of City.

tel' - the used as a prefix onto next word, unless added to another suffix ( prefix on prefix = en'tel = of the , and on word = tel'cihi = the city)

Ancient Elven uses El for this. Elcihi - The City. High Elves use this one a lot.

(a)min - Myself, without the 'a' its my.

kae'leh - My (as in kae'leh nor - My land)

tat - will added either before or after the word

seler' - Sister added to another word, such as; is, will, my... etc. ( seler'min = my sister [ added word moves to back if in front ] seler'tat = sister will )

Ancient Elven makes no distinction between friend and sibling (compare with the usage of 'brother' for friends in African(?) culture), and would use 'llir' for both. This custom is a continuation from one of the oldest statues of Elven lore that exists, namely the idea that Elven children are so precious and rare that they are often raised by the community as a whole, rather than being the responsibility of the specific conceivers of that particular child. It makes sense, then, that the importance of blood ties fades to the point that it doesn't need a specific word (also because of infertility it's not that likely a child would have many or in fact any biological siblings).

The importance of children is also reflected in common usage of the word 'achikr'

cihi'fin - City-State correct?

cihi'fin - City-State correct?

sounds proper

I really should reply more consistently

How would you go about saying please and thank you in elvish?

There's nothing for 'please' but you could use the optative for wishes or find a verbose way of petitioning (e.g. will you favor me with--)

Thank you is done with either ahernan ito nae'leh or simply ahernan! as an exclamation. this is also in Elven Sentences

How would you say things like et cetera, et al, and things like that in elvish?  If an elf is writing, it makes sense he would use the elvish version, not what would presumably be the flexio version.

marn'ehya - and more, presumably. For example, Malin'leh lenearn ito averiran raellan pernan'ehya lucian'ehya marn'ehya illere - Malin's inn grands to travellers carrots, potatoes, grapes and more.

Sporadic, this whole time - I believe you've meant to say 'grant' as in 'Will you grant me your love?' etc etc.

I'm drafting out a wood elven fairytale and I've hit a little snag. Most of the story will be in common but a couple of character names may be elven.

Would the correct form of the name 'Green-Eyes' be 'suliian'taynei' or 'taynei'suliian'?