[✗] [Magic Lore] Druidic Communion & Control

RaiderBlue

8 hours ago, Hyperdron said:

snip

Edited Response:

It should be noted that majority spells were put under passive as an alternative word for denoting they do not cost the druid any exhaustion. While I can understand the confusion, I do state it within the Exhaustion System and since this question was brought up once more below I'll see about editing it to make the wording clearer.

Communion:

A fair criticism, I'll go through and add the spells applicable and think about the increase to 20 blocks. My concern is mainly just maintaining druids as a midline casting roll so I'm not sure if that is pushing on that description.

Deep Stride:

lol, I fixed it probably pressed finish editing before I was done with my thought last night.

Singing, Twilight's Shroud, Gleaning:

Fine enough catch for a redline, each of the druid is center of the radius. Although it should be stated I'm not really sure it needs to be redlined to heavily as they are not combative in the slightest aside from Shroud. I'll also note the redline change for should a spell be interrupted the chords will be lost.

On the difference in sizes of radius, Singing is too spells put together the previous version of singing and empathy. One is meant to be a guided presence while the other is an outburst that imposes itself. It's a very minor thing that doesn't really need to be different but i see no harm in a radial difference.

Greensight:

Fair concerns, I'll talk to the Glassy about it, as he handled the reworking of this spell.

Shillelagh:

To me infusions are permanent effects put in place on an item or entity and Shillelagh isn't. It's a temporary effect just like entlings, so I put it within control.

Entangle & Bramble Wall:

I'm not really concerned as its just going to be an alternative form of casting the exact spell while having the same restraints.

Entling Creation:

Same with Greensight I did not handle this spell, although I can fix this one on my own. It'll just become 2 strikes. while swords/ spears will be made into 3.

Tree Stride:

Ethereal is quite literally just meant to be a word describing it gets bright and the druid appears at the next tree. I have serious doubts you could metagame between 1 emote aswell.

Druidic Limbs:

I also did not handle the writing of Druidic Limbs although I feel this one might be self explanitory with yes Thanium and Azhl will effect the limbs. But it will likely be changed to causing to shut off or get blighted as opposed to destroyed.

Druidic Infusion:

Yes they will, which to be honest comes after if this rewrite is the one that is passed.

Tier Progression:

These are just the currently in place terms of connection for Druidism. While yes it is a long while I honestly don't have much issue with it since a big part of druid rp is the character growing into what eventually is a elder druid. But it's as you said I believe its mainly in place to give players time to catch up with the subsections of the magic.

I will give more detailed thoughts on it when I can, though my immediate thoughts:

Ungrowing can and should work on fae plants/soul trees as it's the primary way of moving these things around.

Why are there so many spells listed as passive when they aren't? Passive implies it's always active without the need for emotes.

+1  actually making them an intreasting MA/ flavor rp magic to play in

Waking up I have another question or rather a clarification if you will:

Shillelagh:
Over the course of [2] emotes a Druid may imbue their staff with their own natural energies costing [1] Chord. Strengthening the tool of worship to be as strong as an iron mace while hitting with the same impact as one.

The question I have about this is more in line with Rp happenings. Druids have a habit of adding things to their staff to make it more complicated then a simple crook or stick like structure. Example, my own staff not only has dangly bits of claws and teeth but also the head of it has an affixation of a giant squid's tooth.

With this in mind, when the staff is strengthened to iron mace quality, what happens to those parts? Does it effect only the wood/bone that makes up the general staff or does it effect all that's connected/wrapped/implanted into the staff?
Does that giant squid tooth now become the head of a spear? Do my claws and teeth dangles sharpen and harden like the teeth of a cat o' nine tails?
Clarify please~

6 hours ago, ColonelClassy said:

Ungrowing can and should work on fae plants/soul trees as it's the primary way of moving these things around.

Why are there so many spells listed as passive when they aren't? Passive implies it's always active without the need for emotes.

First Concern:
Sure I don't see why we can't change it, I believe it was put it place mainly to deter other druids from potentially doing it since they are living plants with druidic powers in the case for soul trees but I can understand this sentiment.

Second Concern:

I stated that passive in this case is being used for spells that are not combative or don't require a form of exhaustion to preform. Like I stated in the reply above I understand it's confusing and I'll look into changing it maybe.

2 hours ago, ItsMyWorld66 said:

Shillelagh:

Stated in redlines, only blunt damage can be done with the spell. So in my opinion as long as you don't emote these sharper bits causing intense wounds I don't see and issue with you having it. As for druids that's staves are spears I'm sorry to say that they already are using a weapon so I'm not to concerned about them.

I lied, I have one last question about the Shillelagh just to cover all bases.

It states that while imbued it may hold the same durability as that of a ferrum item.

Does this apply to blocking? I'm assuming it does just for clarification, so that if someone swung their sword at me, and I block it with my staff it would block with the same strength that if it was made of ferrum and the fact that it's made of wood/bone/ect doesn't apply till it fades.

10 hours ago, RaiderBlue said:

-snip snip-

Much appreciate the clarifications!

I'd second making those clarity edits to Passive stuff and the Exhaustion System - certainly at least clarify the difference between Passive and Non-Combative, as both seem to be used interchangably in the initial system description but then there's Passive on some spells and Non-Combative on others. Since Passive does seem to be referring to Combative abilities that don't cost Chords, probably would be better to slip it into the Combative section instead.

Singing

The two methods as written here at the moment honestly don't sound very different at all, which is what confused me. It just reads like a spot of bloat. If you want them to have distinct effects, the wording and mechanics should be adjusted to reflect that - for instance, you could specifically define the lesser one as being the outburst of feeling that's just a temporary flicker in the Song (for 2 emotes), while the greater one is the imposition that takes more effort to settle a more constructed presence for longer (the OOC day max).

Centred Radius Stuff

Doesn't even need to be a redline tbh, can just add 'centred around the druid' somewhere nicely fitting in the mechanics section.

Shillelagh

Issue's just a personal quirk of mine, then, since I don't think it sounds like a very 'Controlly' ability - but if it makes sense under your definition then nothing much more to say about it. The Infusion version's fine in my book of course!

Tree Stride

Awesome - would suggest defining their vision as blurring into momentarily blinding bright light then, because the vagueness of 'ethereal' as a word in magic fantasy land invites spiritual-vision shenanigans. "I saw a weird blurry ghost thing hiding just over there as I was shunting to the next tree, maybe it's an enemy!"-type deal. Just think it's worth being clear they're not meant to technically be able to see anything while Striding.

Druidic Limbs

Still curious about the magical flame stuff. Should that increased potency apply elsewhere as well (eg. Entlings), or be removed from this ability?

Druidic Infusion

Wanted to double-check if you could provide a response to the 'non-druids usage' redlines and the 'uncombinable with other enchantments'. I despair to assume the uncombinable aspect is a blanket ban, which I guess makes sense but is also a massive F in the chat for the wholesome inner-manapool magics (Housemagery and Bardmancy), since they aren't burdened by a "deity" or "dark" tag.

Thumbs up emoji 👍

I believe ungrowth needs the first redline altered, to state that ungrowth can only be used with the ooc and ic permission of the character a Fae plant or soul tree is connected to. As that is the main means of switching their location without death, and is stated in both lores as being possible with the permission of the player and ic cooperation of the character.

You may also want to clarify, if that change is made, whether a non connected Fae plant can be ungrown and moved.

Druidism's last lore was never meant to be combat focused, so even back it was written for a Druid to be better off using a sword in combat. Everyone can agree the lack of exhaustion system is a definitely the biggest sign of being outdated. However, as the server's lore has become more refined and detailed, it's nice seeing a lot of different unique utilizations that come with this submission. I didn't like the other submission being everything combined, and I found it just generally a lot more confusing than this one. It also had less elements that I was excited about.

Here's some of my questions and thoughts on some specific things.

Beastspeak:

I think Pacify is a cool idea being able to work with other player's animals. However, I'd like for Druids to still be able to entice animals to attack. It makes sense, for example, that a Druid may let at least a territorial animal know their home is threatened and gain their help (at the very least in a event scenario). 

Greensight:

So if a seeing Druid closes their eyes/blindfolds themselves and casts greensight, can they passively use it for days/weeks at time without having to recast then? Assuming their eyes stay closed.

Entangle:

So the idea of this is to be an AOE trap. Instead of actively casting surge to bind someone, with enough time you could cast entangle as a trap and it would stay there by itself without you having to actively cast to keep it up?

Nature infusion:

Since singing would no longer linger in an area on its own, I like the idea of it being a small totem or item that you can enchant to leave behind in an area. That's something I was worried about when reading the non-infusion originally.

Entling Creation:

A love of mine even in the current lore. It's very cool to see it refined for crp without taking away from the fact its an epic, fiercesome entling meant to protect... and not just a pet. That said, I could see an add-on that specifies its use needing a reason to protect the balance, and maybe even a "lifespan" so it's not a constant summon.

Overall, really great work to everyone who contributed. I've generally enjoyed the lore you've had input on, raider, so it's nice to see another submission. The new things like tree stride, shillelagh, twilights shroud, and deep stride are just cool as hell and makes me excited.

1 hour ago, Hermit_Jack said:

Druidism's last lore was never meant to be combat focused,

druidisms only hope to be cool is if I can strangle my enemies in tree roots or suffocate them with ants like in kingdom of the crystal skull

5 hours ago, ItsMyWorld66 said:

snip

I mean it holds the durability as ferrum, so you could block with it as if it were that strong while the spell is active before it returns back to normal.

3 hours ago, DragonofTaters said:

I believe ungrowth needs the first redline altered, to state that ungrowth can only be used with the ooc and ic permission of the character a Fae plant or soul tree is connected to. As that is the main means of switching their location without death, and is stated in both lores as being possible with the permission of the player and ic cooperation of the character.

You may also want to clarify, if that change is made, whether a non connected Fae plant can be ungrown and moved.

I can make the change although I think it is unneeded for a Soul Tree considering they have their own form of Ungrowth within the current lore. On the matter of Fae plants I find it strange that they don't have a means to move their plant on their own aswell. I'm not well versed in the lore for epiphytes but the way its being spoken about it appears there isnt one.

3 hours ago, Hermit_Jack said:

Beastspeak:

I think Pacify is a cool idea being able to work with other player's animals. However, I'd like for Druids to still be able to entice animals to attack. It makes sense, for example, that a Druid may let at least a territorial animal know their home is threatened and gain their help (at the very least in a event scenario). 

Greensight:

So if a seeing Druid closes their eyes/blindfolds themselves and casts greensight, can they passively use it for days/weeks at time without having to recast then? Assuming their eyes stay closed.

Entangle:

So the idea of this is to be an AOE trap. Instead of actively casting surge to bind someone, with enough time you could cast entangle as a trap and it would stay there by itself without you having to actively cast to keep it up?

Beastspeak:

While I would enjoy being able to use beastspeak in such a way I think as a combative crp mechanic it is simply to much of stating you have a massive lion sized animal walking along with you without any representation of it. To which leads to very messy crp and frankly a little bit of a broken mechanic. But with that it's like you commented within events I am sure maybe with beast speak you could try to have a conversation with a group of animals maybe to help attack something should you work with the ET.

Greensight:

The answer to this was a yes, so long as it's obscured enough to be considered blind.

Entangle:

The intention of the spell is to work as a trap that can be brought up and left alone without continued casting although like stated in the descriptions after leaving it will only last for three emotes before sinking back into the ground.

1 hour ago, RaiderBlue said:

Beastspeak:

While I would enjoy being able to use beastspeak in such a way I think as a combative crp mechanic it is simply to much of stating you have a massive lion sized animal walking along with you without any representation of it. To which leads to very messy crp and frankly a little bit of a broken mechanic. But with that it's like you commented within events I am sure maybe with beast speak you could try to have a conversation with a group of animals maybe to help attack something should you work with the ET.

Alright, I can respect the realism aspect of it since beastspeak is currently just an animal summon for most Druids. I've seen quite a few druids summoning roots where there's no trees around, which I take in a similar light. However, I don't think it's too messy, if anything it's on par with your iteration of entling creation in a combat scenario. It just follows the current ST guidelines for combat companions, which limits its size and any other concerns. The whole summoning out of nowhere thing would just need to be looked at, if changed. So, I can understand not wanting to have the whole summoning an animal out of nowhere thing.

That being said, animal companions are still a large part of my RP as a Druid. Because of that, I want to ensure that a Druid's animal companions that they form a bond with will still be usable for combat (this is also currently in line with the ST guidelines for combat companions). For example, I currently use beastspeak with Minto's two hamsters if I want them to attack someone in the distance. I think an amendment or add-on to clarify/allow something like this still would be great.

11 hours ago, Hermit_Jack said:

For example, I currently use beastspeak with Minto's two hamsters if I want them to attack someone in the distance. I think an amendment or add-on to clarify/allow something like this still would be great.

Replaced one of those hamster did you? 😜

+1 not a rewrite by you know who

(i also dk how to feel abt half of a druids cords and 5 emotes to spend on a rlly good summon. also surprise grammar error in da redlines of entling)

Edited by chacmul