The Ducal Passing

ContestedSnow

The Viscount of Marsana, Gaius var Ruthern pens a letter from his home office to Viktor var Ruthern. 

To Viktor, 

Although your father and I may not agree on everything and our disputes lay in many claims and bloodlines, our respect for one another is one which I hold in good regard. Its saddening to see this current unfolding of events. I may not know the full details; however, patricide is a great sin in the eyes of the almighty; for children should strive their best to respect their parents. If the parents are in the wrong, there are other ways to correct them rather than resorting to bloodshed. It is such a shame to see such great sin now tainting the junior line. I pray that you are guided to the right path by the light of GODAN for this sinful act. You need it. 

Regards, 

His Excellency, Gaius var Ruthern, Viscount of Marsana, Amiratus of Balian, Chief Minister of the Duana and Lord Seneschal to the Crown 

H2JuFRVsos0dlIhUMj_cNnFi7rgFaGirIcoo7CfVBLX_N9TFl8bCV-UgteqjUp42Vk2F2qwxHzHeTWKGOHhmqU6sJ4l5cdC8OGwMZKVSLpyj_eauHqXFxdte2H6b_uyxc74GyGxRsuat4-0JZIUxTSI

"Bastard finally kicked the bucket," commented a weary guardsman, who slid the page over the table to his wife. @tadabug2000

"He deserved it." 

The Heir of Marsana glanced upon the letter, before casting it aside. "Y had a preference for his papej, shame he has passed on." Demetrius would sign the lorraine. "Though committing such an act jest distateful, Y feel some shame towards sharing blood with a kinslayer." The man spat on the dirt before continuing to his duties with the Balianese Armada.

16 minutes ago, Nilyeet said:

"Bastard finally kicked the bucket," commented a weary guardsman, who slid the page over the table to his wife. @tadabug2000

"He deserved it." 

A certain guardswoman took in the page her husband slid to her. "Ea'd feel bad agreeing, but ea can't help but think et, too." 

Her head shook at that.

"Eam also neit surprised."

16 minutes ago, oryP said:

The Heir of Marsana glanced upon the letter, before casting it aside. "Y had a preference for his papej, shame he has passed on." Demetrius would sign the lorraine. "Though committing such an act jest distateful, Y feel some shame towards sharing blood with a kinslayer." The man spat on the dirt before continuing to his duties with the Balianese Armada.

Patriarch Josef looks at the long list of notable figures killed by members of House Ruthern since their inception, highlighting the ones that were Rutherns themselves. He puts away an almost entirely yellow paper.

Fabian Kortrevichwho for most of his life despised his ducal uncle, raises a verdant glass of absinthe to the newly-ascended Viktor.

"Good on vy, coz," he muses to no one who can hear him, and despite the unlikelihood such a sentiment would ever be given -- or received -- directly by the Duke of Vidaus. "-Though it is Godan's place and not mine to judge, of course - but good on vy."

Just now, Pureimp10 said:

Patriarch Josef looks at the long list of notable figures killed by members of House Ruthern since their inception, highlighting the ones that were Rutherns themselves. He puts away an almost entirely yellow paper.

Spoiler

😔

Klara Miray clicked her tongue as she read through the admission. "I always remember hearing how the Duke and his late wife used to beat their children. I was not aware the violence was still so relevant now that his children were older." She'd glance to the stone dog at her side, the both of them sharing a knowing look "Do not look at me that way... It matters little now, he is dead! Someone had to do it. Viktor deserved much better than that....... He will find himself in the seven skies regardless." 

Ser Audo Weiss peered to the missive with jaded eyes, knowing, of course, the death of the prior duke was no accident. He knew Aleksandr to certainly be a terrible man with a taste for power and age only seemed to strengthen his boldness. "His end should have come all the sooner, by the koeng." He took a breath before giving his head a slight shake. 

As much as Viktor had proved more tolerable than most Rutherns, it could not be overlooked that at the top of one of their ducal vassals now sat a kinslayer and, arguably, a blatant murderer. As much as part of him was glad - and part sour - that Aleksandr was finally dead, this turn of events could surely not be overlooked.

Spoiler

Out upon a ship prowling distant seas, an Old Ruthern stirs as he crumples the missive of his kinsman within his hand. The towering brute arises from the chair of his quarters, hands grasping around a gargantuan steel warhammer set upright against the wall. A weapon he had no cause to use for some time, but dire actions required a drastic response.

Even in his waning years, he bore no true love for his fallen brother. But he was still of his blood - they had shared in the womb together, and only blood could only be paid with blood.

Glory or death... Kazimir mulls to himself , marching from his room to take command of his vessel. He will be avenged.

By the River Petra an IRON BARON recalls a child from long ago. Steel fingers pen a letter.