Understanding Aeldin

Sander

Hello Everyone!

After a while I'm back with yet another guide to open up the server's lore a little further and hopefully make it a bit more easily accessible and understandible! I'm going on a trip to the United States soon, which means that in rp, my priest character will be 'going on a pilgrimage to Aeldin'. I'm sure many of the older players have heard the 'going to Aeldin' excuse for ooc absence before, but... what is Aeldin? Hopefully with the stuff I've made for you guys today, the answer to that question becomes a little clearer.

As for my sources for this one; all the information comes from the Aeldin wiki page and the lore and 2 maps that can be found there: https://wiki.lordofthecraft.net/index.php?title=Aeldin

What I've got for y'all is a series of maps depicting Aeldin. My hope is that you can consult these maps when reading the lore or trying to find something about Aeldin, and get a clearer picture of the place than the already existing maps give you. The maps that exist already are beautiful and credit to whoever made them (its not stated, but it wasnt me!), but they don't give a particularly clear view of the continent.

Okay so Aeldin is a continent? Yes, to give you a brief rundown or recap; Aeldin is a continent that has existed in LOTC's lore for a while. Because it was a map on a different server, for LOTC it is strictly a place that exists in lore. Throughout LOTC's many years of existence, characters have originated in Aeldin or left for Aeldin never to come back. Some have journeyed there and did return. Usually, this is an in-rp excuse like I said for player absence, but in some cases Aeldin has served as more of a plot device. Like when back in Anthos, the Horen dynasty along with many Imperial Orenians left on an Exodus to Aeldin, conquering much of the continent and establishing an Empire there in-lore, before returning to the actual map of the server where they reconquered their ancestral lands from the Ashford dynasty. (This was represented in my Orenian Nations Tree guide, be sure to check that one out too:) 

TLDR:
So without further ado: I have three maps for you today. Map 1 shows the nations that exist in Aeldin, as of the ending of the lore, they're said to be relatively unchanged. On Map 2 the racial makeup of Aeldin is shown, based on what the major race in an area is (sometimes assumed based on names when not explicitly stated in the lore.) On Map 3, I've stripped down the wiki page's map of Aeldin that had a whole bunch of place names, to only include place names that are mentioned in the lore, or otherwise relevant. Hopefully the last one is a useful piece of reference when reading. Enjoy!

678a7ba8a8beb606800eca97b6d85765.png

931cd0c62d69b0f2584970d634a1eaa4.png

d10b6a1ea2a42631c60e287ff136fa09.png

If you want to know something about what's shown on the maps - or Aeldin's lore but you can't be bothered to read all of it: feel free to ask. Oh and don't forget to +1! :)

isnt aeldin unreachable since its on the wrong side of the world-coin rn?

1 minute ago, Laeonathan said:

Maybe? It's never really stated on which plane Aeldin exists... The wiki page says it might even exist in its own world without a connection to Aegis or Anthos, so... Not much to work with there.

Considering there was an exodus from Anthos to Aeldin though, and Aevos is confirmed to be located south of Anthos, I'd say we're probably on the same 'side of the world-coin' as you call it.

18 minutes ago, Laeonathan said:

i see orc. i am happy

@Sander Oyashima Lore-Writers recently went back to Oyashima and clarified things that were strange and odd. For instance, Oyashima meaning "Eight Great Islands" yet being part of the greater continent. We fixed these problems recently and basically with the consent of Esterlen, Dingo, Jules (co-Author of Oyashima Culture Post) we revamped the area a bit to be consistent. We also fleshed out the islands.

If you would like to rework your map, simply Bump Oyashima north of the Cathant Peninsula into the Shattered Sea, and carve a bit south to make a little bay. Current Zoomed in Oyashima map.

-P-X2NNVSV7jFHeLziHj1eQEpbasd-9DAHIf9HL5ej1b8RwEiHSBWr7_ZrJd_aW5WL6quIXmBpZ2yN3osn9drBpaTN7mHAcGjkA_uDzLF4mpCKxxsXI7ZVfsE3vf1iA_7zbOxNBGjF6Ien5kXfgAZKQ

3 hours ago, Laeonathan said:

Aevos is on Eos, putting it on the same plane as Aeldin.

Aeldin doesn’t exist until you write a lore post that’s approved. 

@SanderThe map of races would not reflect the current state of Aeldin, given that the makeup of the continent changes greatly between the differing eras and centuries have passed since a proper update has been made.

With the time that has passed since conquest, the elves and dwarves should be almost, if not entirely, extinct and any mention of their existence being relegated to fairy tales as a majority of histories were rewritten or destroyed by Imperial censors.

You could also break up the Heartlander/Highlander/Farfolk blocks into the various subcultures;

The Imperial territories being composed of an Imperial ruling caste and the native (presumably Jorenic) peasants, each area of the Empire serving as a stand in for a different European culture.

The Farfolk of the Al Norid Sultanate being linked to Rassids and used as a stand in for Andalusia.