Proposed Nomad Ruleset

Javert

i dont like the mina rules or the 2 week rule. I think it should be three weeks maxinum ( a month ). 

though i do think nomad rp should have its own set of rules cus its BASED

Hmmm, 3 weeks to a month sounds more reasonable - cause while it is nomad stuff, if you're thinking of the mechanical setup, and the costs, etc, 3-4 weeks is more reasonable on an OOC level

2 minutes ago, Jihnyny said:

i dont like the mina rules or the 2 week rule. I think it should be three weeks maxinum ( a month ). 

This looks really cool otherwise, Jav! Though, it seems a bit strange to like, have the same war costs as a nation but I also get where you're coming from there

4 minutes ago, Javert said:

3. To set up a camp, a Nomad group must provide 200 mina to staff to allow for the setup of a temporary region

My thoughts on this were to have the region only at a certain height, with '0' depth, assuming the land was flat. That way, buildings can only be a maximum x amount of height, and nothing can be built underneath.

---

Otherwise, I had considered a few things.

After the [2 weeks] of the camp being up, the region should be deleted by staff. Does the camp then remain or is it destroyed? It'd be nice for other groups to come across pre-built camps, but it could cause a lot of clutter.

I don't agree that they should be able to join wars, personally. To be nomadic implies no ties to a certain place/realm and currently, realms are how wars function in terms of who can take part. Equally, I don't think they should be able to be warclaimed.

Groups which are found to have settled on exterior tiles could be ICly removed by the PRO/RO's. This shouldn't ever need to come down to a warclaim- if a group is found and the PRO doesn't want them there.. they could.. just burn down the camp? Quick, surefire way of removing someone unwanted from your lands.

Have the option there for people to, rather than camps, have things like caravans pasted in as they move to different locations. Even if that costs a bit of mina- be nice to see some pretty, smaller scale builds.

---

Overall, big yes. Make it viable for travelling groups to exist. Make use of all that beautifully made land we have. Populate it. You'll find that RP might scatter, but if anything, it might be a good indication of what people do and don't enjoy.

21 minutes ago, Jihnyny said:

though i do think nomad rp should have its own set of rules cus its BASED

Honestly, the state of the server means that nothing can really be free when it comes to establishing something on your own. I also feel that it's rather fair for there to be a mina cost - Nations and Lairs have to pay to be placed, why should Nomads not? I'm not a fierce advocate for them paying mina (Hence the relatively low number), but it would make it at least a little fair to those who are settled. (I agree that Nomads should have at least 3 weeks or so, 2 weeks was just a starting point)

8 minutes ago, Lirinya said:

My thoughts on this were to have the region only at a certain height, with '0' depth, assuming the land was flat. That way, buildings can only be a maximum x amount of height, and nothing can be built underneath.

---

Otherwise, I had considered a few things.

After the [2 weeks] of the camp being up, the region should be deleted by staff. Does the camp then remain or is it destroyed? It'd be nice for other groups to come across pre-built camps, but it could cause a lot of clutter.

I don't agree that they should be able to join wars, personally. To be nomadic implies no ties to a certain place/realm and currently, realms are how wars function in terms of who can take part. Equally, I don't think they should be able to be warclaimed.

Groups which are found to have settled on exterior tiles could be ICly removed by the PRO/RO's. This shouldn't ever need to come down to a warclaim- if a group is found and the PRO doesn't want them there.. they could.. just burn down the camp? Quick, surefire way of removing someone unwanted from your lands.

Have the option there for people to, rather than camps, have things like caravans pasted in as they move to different locations. Even if that costs a bit of mina- be nice to see some pretty, smaller scale builds.

---

Overall, big yes. Make it viable for travelling groups to exist. Make use of all that beautifully made land we have. Populate it. You'll find that RP might scatter, but if anything, it might be a good indication of what people do and don't enjoy.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion. There is (irl) historical precedence for Nomads to be able to join wars, ranging from nomads being hired as mercenaries to being promised some sort of gain. There are many reasons why Nomads would be able to join a War, and so I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to at all.

As for not needing a warclaim if Nomads settle on your tile, I again disagree. Yes you could burn down their camp, but would Nomads really just let you burn down their camp without a fight? Ok, some might, but there are others who would say "Hell no" and want to stand and fight. Giving a Warclaim as a possibility enables the Nomads to at least try to defend their camp in the region rather than just getting an eviction notice. Also again, (irl) historical precedent. Would a Nomad group just go away if you handed them an eviction notice? Nine times out of Ten, no. Armies had to be mobilized to push them out of the region. I respect your opinion on this, but I do disagree for the reasons I have stated.

This seems like a cool idea, would be interesting to see it developed further and tried out

Like the idea though moderation would need to be faster than they are now with setting up these regions/pasting if that's involved. Currently you get delayed by at least a few weeks whenever you need it.

20 minutes ago, Javert said:

Honestly, the state of the server means that nothing can really be free when it comes to establishing something on your own. I also feel that it's rather fair for there to be a mina cost - Nations and Lairs have to pay to be placed, why should Nomads not? I'm not a fierce advocate for them paying mina (Hence the relatively low number), but it would make it at least a little fair to those who are settled. (I agree that Nomads should have at least 3 weeks or so, 2 weeks was just a starting point)

I respectfully disagree with your opinion. There is (irl) historical precedence for Nomads to be able to join wars, ranging from nomads being hired as mercenaries to being promised some sort of gain. There are many reasons why Nomads would be able to join a War, and so I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to at all.

As for not needing a warclaim if Nomads settle on your tile, I again disagree. Yes you could burn down their camp, but would Nomads really just let you burn down their camp without a fight? Ok, some might, but there are others who would say "Hell no" and want to stand and fight. Giving a Warclaim as a possibility enables the Nomads to at least try to defend their camp in the region rather than just getting an eviction notice. Also again, (irl) historical precedent. Would a Nomad group just go away if you handed them an eviction notice? Nine times out of Ten, no. Armies had to be mobilized to push them out of the region. I respect your opinion on this, but I do disagree for the reasons I have stated.

No issues with disagreement! It's an interesting discussion and you have valid points.

In terms of the war stuff, you're absolutely right.

However with the server, to be in a war you must be part of a realm. Even if you are a small group from say, haense. You must be joined to the haense realm. When you enter the war, the entire realm of haense joins that war. 

The nomadic camp would need its own defined realm, to avoid mechanical abuse (thinking along the lines of people claiming to be nomadic, to try and freely join wars).

I see warclaims as a more nation v nation sort of thing. Unless the nomadic group in question met that size, would they stand a chance against then nation 'evicting' them?

They certainly would stand and fight! But a small traveller group wouldn't stand a chance against a kingdom. At best, they'd likely manage a skirmish?

Don't much understand limiting raids to once per week. But everything else makes sense to me. Nations already get put on cooldown when you raid them.

1 hour ago, Javert said:

Nomads cannot cause extreme or permanent changes to the land (terraforming, large farms, houses, et cetera).

This needs more clarification. How large a farm is too large? Are only tents allowed or are dugouts and small huts ok too? Can nomad camps have walls?

I like the idea in itself, I disagree with all the war aspects. We effectively removed the existence of mercenary groups outside of a realm for a reason and this would basically add that back with extra steps. The raid CD step also doesn't have purpose as raids are not restricted towards players in realms or all players from the same realm, only rules with a raid is you can't raid a place on CD.

Some other questions I have:
5. Nomad groups must provide their own resources to build the majority of the camp themselves.
Are they allowed to use LC to build?

Nomads cannot cause extreme or permanent changes to the land (terraforming, large farms, houses, et cetera).
Not really defined what exactly is and is not a permanent change, what makes a house a permanent change? If it's burned down wouldn't it be no longer permanent. 

Also just region management seems nightmarish with constant 3 week temp regions.

Thank you javvy, I've been wanting some nomad rp for a while, kind of like a temporary lair application

The 2-3 week rule doesn't make sense to me because if someone is to make a Nomad culture it means they are to travel and replace themselves. To have a temporary ability to set up camp  removes the main essence of actual Nomad RP.

I do not understand why Nomad groups must be time-limited in terms of being able to only stay in a camp for 3 weeks.

I certainly would like some more context to this because I believe setting a time limit on camps really does contradict the entire meaning behind having a Nomad group. 

I also think that the rules made for having (x) amount of members for a Nomad group shouldn't be at least 8 because this will more or less decimate the will of people to make Nomad groups in the first place since most of the playerbase will join an already-existing faction anyway.

If this is not a way to decrease the existence of Nomad groups then I do not know what is.